126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monster Truck Tire Version

126 100.00%
  • Buggy Sized Tire version

0 0%

Thread: Monster Truck Owners: Rule Submission to ROAR

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar

Monster Truck Owners: Rule Submission to ROAR

The time has come to cast your vote on which of these rules you want to have submitted to ROAR.
    The issue of contention revolves around what tires to allow in Monster Truck Racing.

Shown here is a variety of tires ranging from the MGT’s to a 9.5 buggy tire.
    The most popular and accepted tire size for racing in Monster Truck is the Bowtie which is the same size as the MT Oval.
    The tire marked Pan is Panther’s new tire which they claim is a monster truck tire. As you can clearly see it’s the same diameter as a standard 9.5 buggy tire, just a little wider.

The design intent of this tire is to allow normal buggies without modification to run a tire that’s allowed in monster truck racing.

Having witnessed this type of racing last weekend that’s exactly what’s happened. Buggy owners are taking their buggies, putting a set of these tires on there with a lexan body and calling it a monster truck. At the ProSeries in NC, half the monster truck field was buggies. Watching the buggy class I could clearly see several buggies with strange looking body posts sticking up, they were running their buggies back to the pits, changing tires, pinning a truck body on and returning to run in the MT class.

The buggies already have most of the event now. Expert Buggy all the way down to a ‘N’ main and sportsman buggy to a ‘D’ main. That’s right, 23 mains are already buggy class.

Now they will turn Monster Truck into a buggy class as well.

I don't know about you, but I would like to race my Monster Truck against other Monster Trucks. The buggy clan has been insulting us long enough, now they want to invade the MT class w/ stock buggies and a lexan body.

Now is the time to let ROAR know how you feel about this.

Here are links to the proposed rules:

Monster Truck Tire Version
    Buggy Size Tire Version

Please read them carefully and cast your vote.

**edit, corrected spelling
    Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 06-11-2004 at 09:48 AM.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Voted already, Monster class should have Monster tires. Those Imex Jumbo's look great, have a set of the Chevrons, I will be getting a few more traed patterns in the future. I run my Jumbo's foamless at the moment, I don't use them on the packe dirt, some of the "other"terrain my SM encoutners.

I currenlty have a need for 6 of the tires, I've got two on my trailer, which is why I am not running tem aon my maxx right now, will need to get another set so I can have trailer/maxx all on the Jumbo's.

22benjamin22
    Hey MM: can you take some pics of 4 tires: Stock T-Maxx, Oval Pins, Panther KLPs and the OFNA 9.5 stock buggy tire?

I'd like to see a more defining size pics.

One tread on like the above and one face on with them sitting on a straight edge would be good. (If you could clean them well too, that'd be good if you gave me permission to use them in the rules submission).

I think that to show the full effect of their sizes in comparison to the tire size currently accepted as "MT sized" it would be helpful.

Thanks.

BTW: Nobody has any comments?

I agree, they should only allow MT tires. The buggys running have a huge power to weight ratio, giving them the better advantage, where we struggle to have a somewhat better power to weight ratio, hence the Panther KLP's. To make it beter we should go with the regular maxx size tires.
    -Yea....

running out on the track to flip my truck over
    Big tire rules all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, lets get the pather tires approved for the buggies and dis-allowed for MT's. That way we could get those buggy guys squabbing amongest themselves and off our backs.

wrong week to quit sniffin glue dsaund99's Avatar
    OUTLAW MONSTER TRUCK (May be referred to as "OUTLAW MONSTER TRUCK" or "UNLIMITED MONSTER TRUCK"), FUEL, OFF-ROAD
    Scale - unknown (1/10-1/8?)
    Description:
    Any Monster Truck that does not 100% meet the Standard MONSTER TRUCK specifications while still meeting the below guidelines. Standard Monster Trucks may also enter the Outlaw class.

Engine - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .12ci to .28ci
    Minimum weight - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2750grams )(~6 pounds)
    Rear Spoiler/Wing - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - A spoiler/wing is optional. The width of spoiler/wing must not exceed body width
    Fuel Tanks - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Single fuel tanks only. max capacity: 150cc
    Tire diameter- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum - 4.75" (mounted)
    Tire width - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Minimum - 2.25"(mounted)
    So the minimum weight for unlimited class will be 6lbs.

Does this need to be further clarified for big and small block?

Dave

Big tires all the way. Panther should be imbarresed by what they put out. Some call it evolution, I call it stupidity!!!!

Big trucks need big tires. I mean hey, you wouldn't run a lamborghini with scooter-tires either, eh?

The whole "take a bug and slap new tires on"-thing is pretty sad.

Rule 6-18 says no 2 speed transmissions for off-road racing, that needs to be addressed.
    nitro or nothing

22benjamin22
    Originally posted by mattman
    Rule 6-18 says no 2 speed transmissions for off-road racing, that needs to be addressed.
    That's why this rule at the top exists:
    Transmission - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1, 2 or 3 speed are OK (ROAR exception ref:6-18)

22benjamin22
    Originally posted by 22benjamin22
    Hey MM: can you take some pics of 4 tires: Stock T-Maxx, Oval Pins, Panther KLPs and the OFNA 9.5 stock buggy tire?

I'd like to see a more defining size pics.

One tread on like the above and one face on with them sitting on a straight edge would be good. (If you could clean them well too, that'd be good if you gave me permission to use them in the rules submission).

I think that to show the full effect of their sizes in comparison to the tire size currently accepted as "MT sized" it would be helpful.

Thanks.
    Hey MM, can you do this for us? I know you're busy, so no pressure, but it could help. We're awaiting word back from Adam Drake on the LST measurement so we could submit it to ROAR. I'd like to get better pics for submission.

Ben,

I'll shoot some pics this afternoon of my KLPS, Bowties, Stock T-Maxx tires and my MBX5 buggy tires (side, front and angled views).

Best regards,

Tony P.
    Tonys Screws LLC
    http://www.tonysscrews.com

22benjamin22
    ... that's right, you just got your MBX5

not ignoring you, I've been out for a few days, just got in at noon

I'll try to get you another pic shortly, you have permission to use the above if you like.

Ok, here are the pics:

1] Stock T-Maxx tire and rim
    2] TRC Micro on Nova aluminum rim
    3] Panther LP Monster Truck tire on SportMaxx rim
    4] ProLine Crimefighter on Mugen dish wheel

(I just love the picture with the yellow and orange paper ....lol )

Tony P.
    Tonys Screws LLC
    http://www.tonysscrews.com

22benjamin22
    Thanks.

i voted

wow, 100% mt tire
    -Crash

Yeah, but..

It is 100% for the MT tire, but ONLY 71 votes! Where are all you people at?:confused:

Ben, don't poo poo the mgt & sav tires, I've seen many a mgt & sav run these in races.
    They are clearly accepted MT tires and are often seen on the track.

The Jumbo is rarely seen due to it's weight and poor traction.

22benjamin22
    Originally posted by MonsterMaxx
    Ben, don't poo poo the mgt & sav tires, I've seen many a mgt & sav run these in races.
    They are clearly accepted MT tires and are often seen on the track.

The Jumbo is rarely seen due to it's weight and poor traction.
    I'm not, and I know they can work well in some conditions. I also recognize that out of the box, they are better than the Maxx series, so buying a new tire isn't necessary for the noob MT basher/racer.

The reason I wanted pics of the KLPS with the std size MT racing oriented tires was to show their size relationship to what is considered "standard" in MT racing. Larger than that isn't a problem - it's when they get smaller. The stock Maxx tires were thrown in for reference and to show that the carcass of the Stock Maxx tire is nearly the same size as the Bowtie, Oval pin, etc. even if the tread makes them larger.

So what ever happened to the rules, were they submitted? Any conclusions?

22benjamin22
    Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
    So what ever happened to the rules, were they submitted? Any conclusions?
    Yup. My sig has a link to where they are posted.

I notified everyone here:
    https://www.unlimitedengineering.com...0&pagenumber=4

So what did you send into Roar then? The "big tire rules" or the "small tire rules"? Did they make there discession yet?

22benjamin22
    OK, the date they were submitted is listed in that other thread. If you read it, you'll see the progression to the date I say they were submitted.

The second thing is valid: When will we know anything?

Officially:
    The ROAR Executive Committee has it's next meeting in November. If everything goes well, the rules will be accepted and it will become a demonstration class for 2005 and an official class for 2006.

Both versions were submitted for ROAR to decide on. Read the tire choice thread on Maxx Traxx to see why.

I am doing everything I can to communicate the need and timing to the members of the ExCom. This years major races are pretty well written in stone, but we hope to have some sanctioned races next year. The idea is to have ROAR backing races next year at a few major events.

RCPro will have these rules accepted (a variation to fit the RCPro guidelines), but won't make a change for this season.

If changes are suggested, I will keep you all informed.

Thanks Benjamin. Sorry I don't have time to read threw all the forums. I work really long hours, 16 hours a day the past couple weeks so my time is limited. Thats why I posted the question.

I personally don't race, but that doesn't mean that I don't intend too. Right now I would have to say that if you want to race in the MT class, you should run MT sized tires. Level the playing field as such. I can understand the MT racer's irritation at seeing the buggies "invade" your class. But, like I said, right now all I do is bash and crash my MT.

I'm sure someone had mentioned it. Why don't they make a Turggy Class? For some of you older guys there were 1/8 Trucks racing back in the day which was a 1/8 Buggy with Close to Buggy wheels and tires. Why not call it the truggy class? Doesn't hurt anyone and gives everyone a fair shake of the stick. Problem is where would the Razorback and JT trucks fit in? Truggy or Outlaw? Is a SuperMaxx concidered outlaw or standard MT?
    Anthony

Why have a truggy class? With those punny wheels? Its soo close to a buggy there is no difference? We don't need to classes that are basically excatly the same. What we need is MT class for our MT's!!!

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
    Why have a truggy class? With those punny wheels? Its soo close to a buggy there is no difference? We don't need to classes that are basically excatly the same. What we need is MT class for our MT's!!!
    I wasn't saying make a Truggy class and NOT an MT class. If you see my AV I own a true MT. They have to make something seperate for truggies or you will continue to see them in the MT classes.
    Anthony

Airing It Out On Maui!!!! tycoonsinc's Avatar

Talking

If you make them run big tires it's all good. turn your buggy into a truck with a kit and get out there and Race. The new CRT,MSR,HotBodies and the Razor will all have advantages and disadvantages to each so, Choose you weapon and pull the trigger!

Almost a year later this thread is dug up. :wall:

JK LOL

22benjamin22
    I would ask to kill the thread, but I think it needs to stay around so others can see the progression the rules took and understand where they were when we handed them over to the sanctioning bodies. Maybe lock it down instead?

done.
    -Crash

Thread Information