Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gmaxx tranny ?

Veteran

Gmaxx tranny ?

Hey guys, I have a couple gmaxx tranny questions? I got this tranny case for my G2 chassis. It says monstermaxx on the cover.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorillamaxx-...item4ac840d6b2
    Im wondering if these gears will fit it? And why is there 4 gears? Seems to me only need two of them there and the input gear hooked to the input shaft.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorillamaxx-...item4ac87067bd
    Or these? they look the same but different material
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorillamaxx-...item4d10c20606
    Some info on what I need to put this tranny together, shafts, gears,ect would be great.

You'll need only 2 of the gears out of either of those sets, plus a top shaft of course. One set definitely looks like aluminum, and the other kind of looks like steel.

-Travis

The cost of building one of these trans is exactly why my builds have center diff units! haha

-Travis

I sold a complete tranny like that, even with Gmaxx motormount and Robinson slipper with 4 new spurs for 150 yesterday.

If you need Gorilla motormounts that fits the G2/G3 chassis I have 2 of them, I am William to let go for 60 $ + shipping for both. Both are like new.

The gmaxx trans is a single speed trans. The gear kits are for 2 speed trans. The only way you can make a metal gear gmaxx trans is by buying a 2 speed kit and only using the few gears you need for the single speed. Your in luck though, I will let you send me the extra gears you don't use in the single speed at no charge to you.HAHA. Like Travis said, one kit look aluminum and the other looks like steel. As far as shafts for the single speed you need to buy the stock shafts that originally came in the traxxas 2 speed trans. The bottom shaft and middle won't need any modification, but I know the top one has to be cut to fit.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Klausen
    I sold a complete tranny like that, even with Gmaxx motormount and Robinson slipper with 4 new spurs for 150 yesterday.

If you need Gorilla motormounts that fits the G2/G3 chassis I have 2 of them, I am William to let go for 60 $ + shipping for both. Both are like new.
    Once again I should have waited for a better deal. Got 190.00 into this one with motor plate and still need everything else
    Thanks for the offer on the motormount but I have one for it already.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by blazerss
    The gmaxx trans is a single speed trans. The gear kits are for 2 speed trans. The only way you can make a metal gear gmaxx trans is by buying a 2 speed kit and only using the few gears you need for the single speed. Your in luck though, I will let you send me the extra gears you don't use in the single speed at no charge to you.HAHA. Like Travis said, one kit look aluminum and the other looks like steel. As far as shafts for the single speed you need to buy the stock shafts that originally came in the traxxas 2 speed trans. The bottom shaft and middle won't need any modification, but I know the top one has to be cut to fit.
    Thanks blazers, Ill have to see if I can find the part #'s for the traxxas 2-speed tranny shafts.

I'm pretty sure I have a spare of each of the top and bottom shafts, that I will never use. Not 100% sure on this, but I swear I saw them in the bottom of one of my toolboxes full of old parts the other day.

I will check when I get home this afternoon, if you'd like to have them?

-Travis

Holy schnikes

Gears

-Travis

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelMan
    I'm pretty sure I have a spare of each of the top and bottom shafts, that I will never use. Not 100% sure on this, but I swear I saw them in the bottom of one of my toolboxes full of old parts the other day.

I will check when I get home this afternoon, if you'd like to have them?

-Travis
    Thanks Wheelman, sounds good. If not im shure the traxxas shafts are fairly cheap. But 130.00 for the gears. Yikes. Im in no rush for this gmaxx project. Don't even have all the parts for the one im working on. lol Just figured I would put a tranny together for it for now. I like the center diff idea too. But since I already bought the case and motormount I might as well finish putting it together. Like you said its Going to be an expensive tranny though.

No problem man. Would save you a few bucks...I wouldn't want anything for them, just enough to ship them to you. Like I said, I'll look when I get home

-Travis

Veteran
    Are these gears I need for the gmaxx tranny hard to find?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorillamaxx-...item4ac87067bd
    I figured these what look to be steel ones would be the best choice.
    There used but look to be in good shape.
    I offered 100.00 and declined so I don't know if I should just wait and keep looking or buy these while I can?

From what I've seen, yes they are hard to find. I would get them while you can.

-Travis

Yes they are hard to get. These sets that have been coming up on eBay are remakes from what I understand of the original ultra maxx gears. Ultra maxx gears were aluminum and originally cost 199 a set from what I have been told. But I have heard that the steel remakes hold up better than the aluminum.
    I'm sending you a pm now

I meant to say something about the steel ones holding up better as well. I'm not so sure I would ever be willing to spend $130 on aluminum gears that could be torn up like $5 plastic ones. The steel ones would be the way to go, for sure.

-Travis

I have one set of REAL Ultramaxxed gear.
    2 years later, with a 1717 pulling kids around, the gears look NEW.

What I eard about those Ultramaxxed gear is that the top gear need to be brass because if steel, they'll eating the lower one. That's why they don't come with ue idlers.
    "bnighs" from here made few set years ago ( 2007). But since then, NO REAL Ultramaxxed gears were made. ( AS I KNOW )

Fred

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxx550

What I eard about those Ultramaxxed gear is that the top gear need to be brass because if steel, they'll eating the lower one. That's why they don't come with ue idlers.
    "bnighs" from here made few set years ago ( 2007). But since then, NO REAL Ultramaxxed gears were made. ( AS I KNOW )

Fred
    Thanks for the info fred, Do you know where I can get one of those brass gears? Do you want to sell me one?

Rivermaxx wrote me this:
    "If your gears are aluminum on aluminum gears they will eat themselves up as shown in suicideniels build thread on rcm. The brass colored idler gears are key to long life like the otb gears for the nitros. With a properly set up slipper the stock plastic 2nd gear will last forever in a g1 single speed tranny."
    "Edit : actually the aluminum idler and the steel input gear will wear against each other. The gen 3 with the brass alloy idler are the best version to have."

Fred

( I don't have a second set to sell sory)

wow, I guess I stand corrected. The aluminum gears must be more durable than I suspected. But it does make sense about the gears being made from different materials to keep from destroying each other.

GMAN, it seems if you got the 2nd set you posted in your OP here you'd have what Fred has, and would be good to go (aside from paying $130 for 2 gears )

Steel (stock) top shaft gear, on a brass idler gear, on an aluminum lower gear.

-Travis

I see the first set of gears (steel set) has ended already...

-Travis

Veteran
    I see the first set of gears (steel set) has ended already...

-Travis
    Yep, and guess who bought them. You guessed it me! thought I was getting something hard to find that I needed and turns out bought the wrong ones. Maybe I can cancel.

I wouldn't say you got the wrong ones just yet. If they are indeed hardened steel, I can't imagine they would be any worse of a setup (as far as durability and longevity goes), than the aluminum/brass kit. Think about it, we run hardened steel pinions on hardened steel spurs all the time, and we run them dry! In the trans the gears normally have some kind of grease/lubricant on them, so that will only better the situation.

Maybe try getting some more info on them before you cancel your order.

-Travis

Veteran
    I wouldn't say you got the wrong ones just yet. If they are indeed hardened steel, I can't imagine they would be any worse of a setup (as far as durability and longevity goes), than the aluminum/brass kit. Think about it, we run hardened steel pinions on hardened steel spurs all the time, and we run them dry! In the trans the gears normally have some kind of grease/lubricant on them, so that will only better the situation.

Maybe try getting some more info on them before you cancel your order.

-Travis
    lol I already tried to cancel, haven't heard back yet. Now I don't know what to do? But I know one thing I should have left this gmaxx tranny case sitting on the shelf when I got up this morning. ill figure something out here with all you guys help. thanks guys.

I'm with Travis, I don't think the steel is a bad choice at all. Aluminum is softer than steel, plain and simple. A steel gear will take more than an aluminum one I would have to think. I think that you get the life out of the trans in the setup. Anything that is setup properly is going to last. Next is maintenance. Maintain anything and it will last. Heck, I run a emaxx on stock traxxas diffs on 4s with no issue at all. The diffs are setup perfectly though (No I didn't set them up myself, but whoever did deserves an award, HAHA).

Veteran
    Man, I need to figure things out a little more before I go buying stuff. I sent another message hoping to cancel my cancelation lol and still get the steel ones I bought. Hopfully I can.
    Well this has been a total fiasco today. Im laughing outloud as I type.

It happens to all of us, no worries. Sit back and take a break tonight, try not to think about Supermaxx's and start fresh tomorrow.

Veteran
    Don't forget to replace the roll pin on top with something beefier. It can break, come out of it hole and get tear up gears like mine did, before I replaced it. How many of you guys fit the cases that fit together poorly? That is FLM half case and gmaxx together.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaz25
    Don't forget to replace the roll pin on top with something beefier. It can break, come out of it hole and get tear up gears like mine did, before I replaced it. How many of you guys fit the cases that fit together poorly? That is FLM half case and gmaxx together.
    Thanks, I read about that pin not holding up. The tranny case I bought says monster-maxx on the case and the cover fits good.

Quote Originally Posted by kcaz25

Fred

Veteran

Fred
    I found a post on here on how to mod a revo shaft for the top. cut it off and redrill the hole for the input gear so the pinion doesn't hang out to far on the shaft? and the trx slipper can be modded to fit. Is this what your showing?

No Fred is just showing the roll pins used to secure the gears to the top shaft being replaced by a piece of hex key, that won't shear off like the roll pins do.

-Travis

Veteran
    No Fred is just showing the roll pins used to secure the gears to the top shaft being replaced by a piece of hex key, that won't shear off like the roll pins do.

-Travis
    Thanks man that's kinda what I figured. do you guys have the trx part numbers for the shafts I will need to put this thing together.
    One of the numbers on the post I found about it on the rc monster forum brought me to some trx screws.
    http://rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11589
    It kinda looks like the hole he drilled is awful close to the original one making it a weak spot? but I don't know it seems to be working for him.

I keep forgetting to look in my toolbox for these shafts, I'm sorry. If I have them though, do you want them?

-Travis

Veteran
    I keep forgetting to look in my toolbox for these shafts, I'm sorry. If I have them though, do you want them?

-Travis
    Sounds good wheelman, I bought the top one. Trx #5366? to mod to fit trx slipper as in the link I posted. And #3993 not #3933 as was posted wrong in the link.
    Still need to find the part# for the bottom one? I pm blazers about it. He said earlier in this post that I need the bottom shaft from the original traxxas two speed tranny? But ill buy them both of ya just to have some spares. always nice to have spare parts laying around.
    Thanks man

Yep, that's correct, you'll need the bottom shaft from the original 3906 trans. I will do my best to remember to dig them out (if I do in fact have them) this weekend and send you a picture or two.

-Travis

Veteran
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAXX-MO...item33856dde0d

Thought this would be funny for some of you more experienced maxx parts ebay shoppers.
    I spent 270.00 for the same thing. And the gears I got are not even hardened. Live and learn. Ive learned.

Do you have the "monster maxx" case or a real flm?

Veteran
    Do you have the "monster maxx" case or a real flm?
    The monster maxx of course. lol

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    we never made a tranny case
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Well that happens. We have all over paid on something.

Thread Information