Thread: New Hitec HSB-93XX Servos - Any Experience?

Veteran

New Hitec HSB-93XX Servos - Any Experience?

Been looking to buy a new servo - Boy, Hitec really pulled out ahead in this servo competition. But I'm looking for your opinion on alternatives.

I'm looking specifically at buying a Hitec HSB-9360TH servo. Notably faster than the old airtronics 357 and notably more torque than the 358. I just saw it a few weeks ago:

.06 sec @ 7.4v (.08@6.0v) ; 236 oz-in ; brushless (steve neu motor, lol the guy must be rich), digital, includes integrated regenerative braking (current goes back into receiver battery) which can be disabled
    $180 at Tower Hobbies (but I found a trusted listing to get 3+ at $165 each)

Does anyone have any better servo suggestions they know of in this same price range? This is the best I could find, but looking for any opinions. The savoxusa servos look good, but I don't know anything about warranty or if anyone can vouch for them.
    <-- Emaxx guy

Hitec have always made very good servos, he only other brand i would look at are Futaba. But Hitec are cheaper and easier to program as long as you have the programmer. I have only used large scale savox servos and dont like them. They are very noisy and very inaccurate. I would stay away from them. There are a lot of people that like savox because they are cheap but in my experience i would prefer a hitec or Futaba
    BIG HORSEPOWER=BIG CUBIC INCHES=BIG DOLLARS

I don't doubt it's a good servo, but that price...

I use almost exclusively Hitec HS-7955TG. 1/8th e-buggy steering, 1/8th nitro steering, 1/8th nitro throttle, UE HVL, etc. Only thing I don't right now are my 1/10th scale 2wd B5M and 4wd XB4. It would be extreme overkill there, but eventually I will probably put them there too. Reasoning is, I have one spare servo to replace ANYWHERE it might die (which ironically I have yet to have one fail with hundreds, maybe thousands of hours using them now).

Better yet, it's actually high voltage certified, although they don't list it. So in other words:
    4.8 = .19 / 250
    6.0 = .15 / 333
    7.2 = .10 / 410 (rough approximation from what we can tell)

That is pretty good if not better at almost half the cost.
    - Eric -

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ANGRYEVO8
    I have only used large scale savox servos and dont like them. They are very noisy and very inaccurate. I would stay away from them. There are a lot of people that like savox because they are cheap but in my experience i would prefer a hitec or Futaba
    Thanks - I was wondering why savox didn't seem too popular.

Better yet, it's actually high voltage certified, although they don't list it. So in other words:
    I wonder why they don't list it? Where did you find out that it is actually high voltage certified? Yeah, that servo seem like a great performance per dollar purchase ... but it makes me wonder how many other servos are underspec'd and would be killer at 7.2v
    <-- Emaxx guy

Savox is notoriously bad on electronics. A huge portion of their servos cause glitches due to excessively heavy amp draw. It's not even that their performance is great, they're just badly designed/built.

I would have to find it, but one of the company reps confirmed it on rctech. It's an older servo (i.e. not last year or so) so my hunch is it was "over built" before 7+v came out and it happens to be able to support it.
    - Eric -

-Crash

Veteran
    Thanks imaxx, the high speed version of that servo looks awesome! .07sec and 549oz torque! I have some thinking to do now. Anyone have experience with ProTek?
    <-- Emaxx guy

I had one on my SCT410. Performance was good, but it got a bit loose pretty quick. That however was a $50 servo vs $150, so could be quite a significant difference in quality.
    - Eric -

I found this from 2008. hope it helps...

We just received the results of our long term testing on the 7955TG with 2S Lipo, and I'm pleased to say that we have found no degradation in the servos life expectancy at this voltage. Therefore Hitec will officially announce soon that the 7955TG's are HV capable with the following specs: .13sec @ 375in/oz at 7.4v!

Mike Mayberry
    Hitec/Multiplex USA.
    Learning is living

if it aint broke,ur not pushn it
    7955TG with 2s lipo is hands down the best ive had
    stock=broken...if its stock thats cuz im trying to break it to build it better

Thread Information