Thread: Lights, Camera, Sound, Heat, a GPS and...clutch

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar

Lights, Camera, Sound, Heat, a GPS and...clutch

This pile is going into my bike over the next few days. Today's goal was to get everything mounted.

Lights are VisionX, 9000lumens on the front and 1800 in backup lights.
    GPS is a Samsung Tab Pro on RAM mounts
    Sound is by Boss Audio, they claim 1000 watts. I find this hard to believe from such little speakers and a low cost, but ok...
    Heated grips complements of BRP
    Camera is a gopro hero 3 - this may be the easiest part of the whole install.
    And the clutch is VJF and a Mav belt.
    Let the installation begin.

Started with that monster light on the front. Decided the 'spot' for it was tucked in front of the radiator. The ole measure twice cut once, was more like measure twice, cut 3x. Got it done, but that part was time consuming. Would have been a lot easier to take the radiator cover off, but that was no joy w/o draining the fluids. It's not perfect, but with some flat black paint, no one but me will ever know.

Test fitted the speakers before painting. Tried a few spots, this one is where I like them best. Down out of the way of branches and whatnot, hopefully they won’t get hit by stuff.

Then sanded them real good, cleaned them and taped off the grills so I wouldn’t get paint on the speaker itself. Then started painting, this was mixed in with the next few processes.

Used a hole saw to drill out the rear reflectors for backup lights and tried to fit a set of LEDs I had for another project. Really looked like it would fit from the backside, but when I got the hole in there I realized I was putting a square peg in a round hole and it just wasn’t going to work. A call to VisionX and got a small set of round ones on the way. More on this tomorrow I guess.

Next up was mounting the amp for the stereo and routing the bluetooth volume control up to the handlebars. Drilled a hole in the frame, put the screw in, went to drill the next hole, broke the bit, finished drilling, put the screw in, broke the screw. Aggggg. Dropped the last screw down in the frame, couldn’t find it…this went on like this for about another half hour. Finally got that part done.

Next up is the BRP heated grips and throttle.
    Naturally the screw stripped. Dremel and cutoff wheel solved that.

But then came the grips. OMG that throttle side was a MFSOB. I think I probably destroyed it putting so much force on it – sure hope it works. Other side slipped right on. Of course, by the time I’d fought the throttle side I did a much better job of sanding the other side and I slimed both the inside and the handlebar w/ adhesive. Those puppies ain’t a coming off I can tell you that for sure.

Speakers all painted flat black. Mounted one side and the GF was calling me for dinner, quit for the night.

Front light is mounted, Amp is mounted and it’s volume control is mounted, speakers are painted, one side is mounted. BRP heated grips, throttle and control are mounted. I still have the backup lights to mount, switches to mount and a ton of wireing to do. Not to mention the clutch. All before going to Durhamtown Tellico Friday night.

The GPS I mounted the other night. But the arm is too long and the retention cups aren't big enough. Parts were at the house when I went up so this'll get resolved tomorrow too.

To be continued…
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Got it working last night @1am, just had to button things up today. Everything works great except the darn heated grips, one no workie.

I used double pole double throw (DPDT) LED lighted switches. This allows me to put them on automatic and also have manual overrides.
    On automatic
    The front LED light comes on with the brights.
    The rear LED lights come on in reverse.
    The radio comes on with ignition (in the lights position) so that if I'm out hunting in no lights mode the stereo doesn't come on and scare deer away.
    The LED Whip (whenever it gets here) comes on with the low beams.

There is an off position as well as the manual override.

Two relays, one for the front light and one for ign on accessories (stereo, etc.)

Put a dual USB port in pumping out 2.5amps to power the GPS. Wired to battery hot so the GPS will always charge. Trimmed the cap so one cord is plugged in and sealed.

This was quite a bit of wiring and much to my surprise I got it right the first try, amazing considering I was doing it on the fly w/o a diagram. I may regret this...
    Lots of connectors, wire, dielectric grease and sealant went into this.

The only thing that didn't come out perfectly was the throttle side of the BRP heated grips. Probably I broke it during install with all the force I was putting on it. There is a partnumber for it in the instructions so hopefully I can get a replacement.

The Samsung Tab really rocks and it's Survivor case looks to be quite watertight. I did cut an access hole in the port flap for a usb plug. Ought to keep the water out but allow it to be powered.

The RAM mounts were kinda a pita and $$. I had to use parts from 4 different kits which left me with quite a few leftovers. Now that I know what's needed, someone could probably get RAM to piece it together.

Stereo works pretty good for little 3" speakers, but needs a sub. Likely not going to happen though since the bluetooth amp doesn't have any outputs.

Replacement passenger handle showed up and was an easy fix.

Here's how I did the reverse triggered backup lights, little microswitch secured with shoe goo.

Mascots

Mass of wire all tied up in place.

Wire for the whip all set for whenever it shows up.

Some finished shots.

Didn't get to the VJF clutch. I have some real work to do and didn't want to risk not being ready for this weekend at Durhamtown Tellico. It's all set to go.

Very cool, Looks good! Yea the BRP heated grips can be a pain, not sure if theyve updated their controller but alot of guys were breaking the mount off of because of the plastic/design, and were using a piece of metal to strengthen.

The wiring on these machines can get crazy, i had a TON on my renegade but slimmed it down. Between the Rigid 10" SR headlight, angel eyes, heated grips, reverse lights, underglow on all 4 corners, powered GPS mount... i had to simplify lol.
    HPI Savage XL - coming soon

Simplify!? Lol!

Mm: how did you gf like the mud footrests removed?

Do they make an aluminum peg that goes there on the max i wonder?

GF likes the position of the removed mud guards better, but says her feet slip around. I'll probably make something for here.

I was thinking kinda the same thing. Could just make some spacers for the mud footpeg to make it more level or leaned toward the back.

I'm going to see if the xmr pads can be turned around, but that might not be comfortable either...

Thread Information