Thread: VBS Bearings question

RC in my Blood

VBS Bearings question

I was wondeing about the bearings for the vbs diff bearings and pinion bearings.

I was able to search thw forum and found this on the forums

Pinion- 6x16x5mm bearings (4 total)

outdrives- 10x16x5mm bearings (4 total)

However the ultralight instructions mention 8x16x5mm bearings, so I am confused.

I see you copied and pasted from this reply but maybe you missed the first line of it? "to run stock diffs you will need"

That is where those bearings sizes came from.

If you are using Spider gears 8x16x5 is correct. Are you running stock diffs?

RC in my Blood
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply - looks like i did miss that!, I am setting up the VBS with spyder8 diffs.

I am having some binding when i tighten the cases - i will check the seating of all of the bearings again.

You have to shim the diff side to side in the VBS to get proper mesh between the ring & pinion gears. This should eliminate any binding.

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelMan
    You have to shim the diff side to side in the VBS to get proper mesh between the ring & pinion gears. This should eliminate any binding.
    Thanks for replying!

When you mention "Shim the diff" - do you mean shimming when assembling the diff? or do you mean adding shims next to the bearings when assembling the diffs into the case?

You can use either/or both types of shims. Personally I always use the little shims that go on the diff itself.

Use them on the opposite side of the ring gear if your mesh is too tight, and vise versa if too loose. It's a rather time consuming project, if you want to get them just right, but definitely worth it if you want the diffs to last.

-Travis

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelMan
    You can use either/or both types of shims. Personally I always use the little shims that go on the diff itself.

Use them on the opposite side of the ring gear if your mesh is too tight, and vise versa if too loose. It's a rather time consuming project, if you want to get them just right, but definitely worth it if you want the diffs to last.

-Travis
    Thanks Travis, I will try that.

As an aside - i know for the suspension bearings a small spacer is used to reduce preload on the bearing - is this not required for the vbs diff case bearings?

Not a problem!

The bearing spacer is used because there's 2 bearings right next to each other in the knuckle. The spacer goes between the 2 bearings because when you tighten the wheel nut down, it squeezes the bearings together. You don't have this situation in the diff housing/VBS, so there's no use for the spacer there.

The only place in the diff housing you have 2 bearings right next to each other is for the pinion shaft, and there's nothing side-loading (pulling together) those bearings, so there's no need for the spacer there.

-Travis

I know what problem your having. On the front VBS, If i remember correctly it would sligtly bind if the inside bearing was not fully seated in the VBS. Take the front and rear of the VBS apart with no gears in them, You will see the difference or feel the difference between the two. The rear VBS pinion bearings seat fine. Try to heat the vbs case in a oven or freeze the pinion bearings in the front. That worked for me.

Maybe I should be a little clearer, I believe your problem is in the pinion bearings and not in the diff bearings. You should be able to feel the difference of depth of the bearing in the front inside pinion bearings (not seated properly) and the rear inside pinion bearing(seated properly)

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenmaxx
    I know what problem your having. On the front VBS, If i remember correctly it would sligtly bind if the inside bearing was not fully seated in the VBS. Take the front and rear of the VBS apart with no gears in them, You will see the difference or feel the difference between the two. The rear VBS pinion bearings seat fine. Try to heat the vbs case in a oven or freeze the pinion bearings in the front. That worked for me.
    That was it !!! No more binding! Thank you so much!!!

Your welcome.

Thread Information