Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tamiya TRF801XT build

Jesper, you are a top notch builder! All of your projects are finished to perfection, I wish I had your skill my friend! Well done

Quote Originally Posted by RokleM
    I'm really tempted to buy like 3 of them... but knowing my luck I will break the same part 3 times and never find replacements

What parts were you guys using to convert to electric?

Eric, parts seem to be readily available from both amain and tamiya usa. Reading up on this I'm told it is/was a very competitive truggy.

I'm personally making my own kit. Similar (in regards to conceptually) to my mbx6t but with a few changes on placement and design but will be center motor mounted and dual battery
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSammy
    Jesper, you are a top notch builder! All of your projects are finished to perfection, I wish I had your skill my friend! Well done
    Thanks for the kind words Sam, but I can hardly take the credit for this one, as I have just done what Tamiya have told me to in the manual + adding an awesome conversion from Mr. Cronin.

Got the body painted, and applied some decals, so it is considered finished now. Only mising the deans to be soldered on the batteries, and then it is time for some driving.

Looks great Jesper!! Do you mind if I post my build in this thread?
    -Chris

Thanks. Feel free to post your buildthread here too.

It'll be a fun weekend now

-Chris

Let the fun begin

-Chris

Looks great Chris.

Got my batteries soldered with Deans, and had a short testdrive in front of the house. Everything works smooth and nice. Turningratio is a bit short, but that may be the epa setup, I will have to play a bit with that. Gearing seems a bit low with a 12t pinion at first. I doubt topspeed was above 30 mph. I have to drive it offroad before gearing higher, but I think 2-3 teeth higher will do it good.

Motor/esc wise it worked fairly good, but cannot comment on any possible heatissues, as I only drove 5 minuttes, and the temps are around 45F so everything is nice and cold Anyway, the Losi system is definately not as smooth as the Tekin RX8/T8 system. I will give it a chance though.

That's very interesting Jesper. When I used the speed calculator a 12t pinion had it at around 42 mph with a 2100kv motor on 5s...??
    -Chris

Almost there...

-Chris

YepI had the same result with the scriptasylum speed calculator. Maybe the diffs are not as most 1/8 truggies? I will give it a run again tomorrow, if it is not raining, and see how it turns out.

Looking good Chris. You build a bit faster than me

How do you like the quality of the parts. I had a few screws stripping, but apart from that fine.

She's done!! Well for now. While I wait for my custom center diff/motor mount I'm going to buy a RC-Monster mount and have the motor sit in the left front opposite the servo and still run dual batts in the back. I really really like this kit and am going to order some arms from Tamiyas website for $5 for a set. The quality was all there in this kit, and it feels really solid and great.

Jesper - I didn't strip anything but I had an advantage and read about taking it very easy on the silver screws especially and I think that paid off. I do want to play with the suspension stance here a bit as it's sitting a little lower than I'd like, but it was fun to build and I can't wait to see how it drives. I didn't count but everything I've read says its standard 43/10 diffs. I'll see how it feels too. I'd see if the losi esc could be dialed back on you or something that's causing it to be slower??? I've got a mmm to throw in it for now but am anxious to try a tekin setup

Here's a few finished shots:

Anyone thinking of getting a 1/8 truggy for $99 shipped I don't think a better deal has ever existed
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sweetride4me
    Anyone thinking of getting a 1/8 truggy for $99 shipped I don't think a better deal has ever existed
    Ahhh, I really do not need more stuff. Must resist......

They both look great!

Quote Originally Posted by MiRatlhed
    Ahhh, I really do not need more stuff. Must resist......

They both look great!

DO IT!!! You won't regret it
    -Chris

This is a deal you cant pass up lol---I would keep it 100% nitro though haha
    The Largest State in the USA---
    Alaska = 650,000+ Sq. Miles

Just swapped the nitroparts from mine, with an 80$ vintage Tamiya motor for my 1/10 buggy collection

Looking forward to see your custom parts done Chris.

You know you want it Joe

Quote Originally Posted by sweetride4me
    am going to order some arms from Tamiyas website for $5 for a set.
    Where do you see those for 5$. Maybe I should get some also, just to be safe.

Here you go Jesper. It's one of each arm, front and rear.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...-49497-9004237
    -Chris

Starting to mock up my dual battery setup. I bought an RC-monster motor mount to run for a bit, with the motor mounted forward(had to mod the chassis a little haha) I've designed my mount but since it'll be a few weeks out and I want to drive this baby I'm making something work . Nailing down the batt trays and placement though

Almost there. I'm thinking if mounting the esc on either the steering top plate or relocating the Rx and mounting it on the cd top plate ??? Any thoughts?

-Chris

Looking good. Don't you think there is space for some lay down trays for the batteries. Won´t it make more stress on the sides of the batteries during cornering?

Imo the esc belongs in the bottom of the chassis, to keep it safer with flipovers (maybe you don't do that ), but ofcourse this is only temporary, so get this beast moving.

I haven't had time to drive the past week, but hopefully I will have some time here in the weekend, if it keeps dry.

Thanks Jesper! I might have room for lay down batts but it'll be close. I was thinking of behind the front tower on the steering top plate for the esc for the moment because that's where it is for most on the HVL I believe ?? I'll play some more and hopefully get it moving by tomm. My rx8 is due in today
    -Chris

Got my lid done!!! I was a little excited to start and see how it'd come out and completely forgot to mask the windows : I'm going to do same idea just different colors for my next mbx6t body since I destroyed my first one

Pics:

-Chris

hahaha, lmao. That is awesome dude! What about masking around the windows and blacking them out? That would still look pretty cool on this paint scheme I reckon. And I thought only I did silly things haha

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSammy
    What about masking around the windows and blacking them out? That would still look pretty cool on this paint scheme I reckon.

Yea that was my plan...

My new mbx6t body I'll do that and am thinking red and blue with a black background, so clear windows
    -Chris

Short video of my 7 year old testing the TRF801xt on 5s. I still have to check the setup on the pc, as I am not too impressed with the topspeed. Can also be a gearing issue? Have you driven yours Chris?

Also realized the places where I have not put enough threadlock!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=bz3A_CeRHMg

Yea something seems off Jesper.

I took mine out yesterday. Here's a video of it jumping, but I'm running 4s/2200kv motor/15t pinion. Speed calculator says abt 49mph and it feels all of it. Deff faster than my mbx6t.

Heres a pic of the current setup in it too:

I too saw the threadlock in the kit stunk. I used loctite 680 I had on the wheel hex pins after losing one
    -Chris

What's your gearing Jesper? Also what's the diff oil weights your using? Mine are 7/30/5
    -Chris

Well gonna have it hooked up to the pc, to see what is wrong.

Looks like a decent jumper

Seems like I solved the problem. I used to run my MBX6Te with 16/44 gearing, so ofcourse this will be way slower with its 12/48 gearing, even though the motor has 100 kv more. Now I have thrown on a 15t pinion, and it help quite a lot, and there should still be room for more, and still keep a cold setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Klausen
    Seems like I solved the problem. I used to run my MBX6Te with 16/44 gearing, so ofcourse this will be way slower with its 12/48 gearing, even though the motor has 100 kv more. Now I have thrown on a 15t pinion, and it help quite a lot, and there should still be room for more, and still keep a cold setup.
    That'll do it Jesper. Are you using a different spur gear? Stock is 50t. I've found my setup (2200kv/15t pinion/4s) is stupid fast. I'd love to see video of it on 5s I'm thinking of going to that and the tekin 1950kv motor
    -Chris

Aha then the spur is 50, making it even worse. I am using the stock one, but obviously ain't able to count

I only ran it up and down the street in front of the house a few times, to see the difference, and it is definately fast. Not as fast as my MBX used to be, but it makes good sense, with the different gearings.

Even though this worked, I am still quite sure that a Tekin or Castle setup will do the truck more justice. The Losi system runs nice and cold so far, but anyway I am heading towards one of the systems I am more familiar with. Will give it a chance the next couple of weeks though.

Has anyone weighed one of these?

I can... you looking for fully loaded batts, etc Harold or no batts?

Edit: Just by feel it's nearly identical to my MBX6T-E...
    -Chris

Mine is 4106 gr. without batteries.

Thread Information