Thread: Dual Battery MBX6T Brushless Build

Dual Battery MBX6T Brushless Build

I wanted to make myself a durable backyard beater before I began my shelf queen/light runner supermaxx build... again!

I found myself a great deal on a MBX6T roller and began as I do by stripping it down. My first order of business was to rebuild the center diff and fill it with 30k diff fluid. I then decided I wanted to build a truggy that used dual batteries and a center mounted motor for the best weight distribution and looks.

I designed a battery tray that'll accept a 4s 3000mah zippy flightmax battery. I then drilled and countersunk the chassis, and also drilled and tapped the battery trays so each one has a three screw mounting design.

Notice the center line I've drawn on the chassis... The trays are equally spaced out

The battery trays have slots so two battery straps can be attached to each.

I then took the servo/radio gear tray and trimmed it down. Mounted it looks like it was almost meant to be this way.

Here's how's she sitting now. I'm almost done with my center diff/motor mount combo. It won't be anything earth shattering, like MM seems to always produce, but it'll be functional and mounted to the chassis using the original center diff holes. I have a minimum distance of 2.75" between the two battery trays (which is more than enough) and a perfect spot across from the steering servo for my ESC to go. Overall it's coming along nicely I'd say.

-Chris

Nice to see this build, looks good! I will be starting a MBX6T elec conversion probably right after x-mas. I will use the Mugen ECO kit to convert mine to elec and maybe try a tekin system.

What motor and speedy are you using. I left the diff oils in mine as stanard and it performs really well. Only wheelies when there is a lot of traction, otherwise it turns and handles very well. I think from factory they are 7/10/3

Pics

BIG HORSEPOWER=BIG CUBIC INCHES=BIG DOLLARS

I'll be using an mmm/2200 combo or similar. In my brushless x1crt stock diff oil caused uncontrollable driving due to front tire ballooning. I found 20-30k center worked best for me.
    -Chris

Nice build Chris.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Quote Originally Posted by sweetride4me
    I'll be using an mmm/2200 combo or similar. In my brushless x1crt stock diff oil caused uncontrollable driving due to front tire ballooning. I found 20-30k center worked best for me.
    Is there a conversion kit for an x1-crt or is yours custom? I have the x1-crt that is one of my favorite trucks, it is really tricked out with a bunch of hop ups and an extended bce chassis. I will be converting my Mugen like i said earlier but didn't think there an option for the jammin.

Yes RC monster makes one. You'll need a battery tray but there's a billion on the market, or RC monster makes those too, you just have to figure out how to mount it.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...+-+Ofna+X1+CRT - X1 CRT conversion

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...ttery+Tray+Kit - Battery Tray
    -Chris

My machinist is hoping to have my center diff/motor mount done this weekend or next. I've got wheels on and my servo going in tomorrow. Then I'll just need batts, motor and esc and she'll be ready

-Chris

No Gimmix
    looking good
    life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it-ATTITUDE

Great build. Looking forward to see it all done.

Thinking about this for the body, and changing the wing to black

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121232687375...84.m1423.l2649

I'm hoping my center diff/motor mount plates are done and waiting on me when I get to work tomm Then my machinist buddy can start my pred center diff mount, mbx6t wing mount and more sweet strobes!!!
    -Chris

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetride4me
    Thinking about this for the body, and changing the wing to black

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121232687375...84.m1423.l2649

I'm hoping my center diff/motor mount plates are done and waiting on me when I get to work tomm Then my machinist buddy can start my pred center diff mount, mbx6t wing mount and more sweet strobes!!!
    Good choice on the body.The more streamline body's look better on e-truggys than the normal style.The next on I get for Mine will be that style.Im running a 2650 in mine,trying to get gearing worked out
    Miss Vegas.18 burn'n up the water
    OS.21 revo 10 gallons on motor
    Slash 4x4
    H.R. muntant project

My machinist got my center diff/motor mount done

I'm hoping to work on it by New Years
    -Chris

So here she sits

I just had my machinist make "plates", and I went in to the machine shop at work today and got the rest milled out and holes drilled and tapped and everything put together. I love how and where it sits in the chassis, it feels very evenly distriputed. The ESC will go front left

Used the existing center diff holes on the bottom:

Without batts:

With batts:

My body color choice

The wing will be black, it's off on purpose... I'm hoping a proto of my wing mount might be on my desk in the morning
    -Chris

Nice! Love the green.

looking great! I'm sure you have some already but you may want to have extra arms. I broke the front right upper and lower arm at the track the other day on my MBX6e. First mugen parts broken in 7 months of ownership. I had extra lower arms but no uppers. I ordered some online and through my lhs last weekend but I didn't receive them before the races this morning so I missed out..
    -Neil

What connectors are you using

Those are what came on the batts. I believe they're 5mm bullets. I went with deans for now since found I had a bunch stashed away.
    -Chris

I drilled and tapped my ESC m ount and mounted it up tonight. Going to mill it out a bit tomm to make it look better and clean it up, and then I'll throw it on this beast and she's ready to run

I'll have pics up this weekend. I had a blast making this! I can't wait to drive it and get it dirty!!!!
    -Chris

Got my esc mount milled out and ready to go

-Chris

Got everything installed and blue loctited.

She's ready to rip... Only need the warm weather now

-Chris

look like a kick ass ride Chris

RC in my Blood
    ready to destroy some lawns!

Test drove this bad larry tonight and all I can say is I'm in love.

No wheelies, just tire spinning mayhem It was fast, and a blast for the 2 mins I tested it. My stepsons (the boys) LOVED it also
    -Chris

Ran my first set of batts through this today... She flies level, hooks up awesome and was a ton of fun. Handles amazing in the air and on the ground with this setup!!

A little snow bank jumping

My daughter got some videos on her iPod. I had her take ^^^ that one and the one below with my phone. This one is just before I quit for today since I was seeing it was losing speed. I'm my own lvc .

-Chris

looks great! Besides the 5ive, this is the only other RC I really want next. I am super happy with my MBX6! Make sure you have extra front arms and links
    -Neil

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT
    looks great! Besides the 5ive, this is the only other RC I really want next. I am super happy with my MBX6! Make sure you have extra front arms and links

Do you mean the front tie rods Neil?
    -Chris

yeah. My buddy that I go to the track with has a mbx6t and has broken a few as well as the front arms. I have broken a few front arms as well
    -Neil

Great to know! Thanks Neil
    -Chris

I can't say it enough.... This truck is awesome! Hands down a blast to drive. I'm pumped for my tamiya (x2, gotta have a full truck worth of spares, right!) to get here to build up and make crazy.
    -Chris

Another day of beating this beast and I FINALLY broke something...last piece I ever figured I might.

Here's what she looked like that had me figuring there was an issue...

This is what an ackerman plate looks like

Here's what an ackerman plate looks like snapped in two

I'd driven for about 15-20 mins already and was launching off snow banks landing in the parking lot of a local company. I've geared her up a bit and she's geared for about 45mph now, all components seem happy Got my new ackerman plate on order, I'm pretty sure the guy who owned this before me drilled the extra holes in it, all the stock mugen ones are solid, obviously for a reason

She looks prettier with a fresh coat of mud and dirt I think... agree???

OHHHH and I complete destroyed my bulldog body ... : Not happy about this....only my third time out

-Chris

This is why I needed a truck with an aluminum chassis!!! If I knew the people who's yard it was I'd get them to mow it so I could get up some speed!! The grass was higher than the truck... But I had to try anyway I will do it at some point (when I see they've mowed the field)

-Chris

Thread Information