Thread: HVL Basher Build

Big Air Don't Care

HVL Basher Build

Finally got a day off yesterday and decided to dig out some parts to start slapping together a High Voltage Lightning basher truck. Not sure if I should post this here or in the Pictures & Movies forum with the other builds. Figured here would be proper so HVL topics are all together.

The parts list so far is

UE High Voltage Lightning Chassis
    UE Spider 6 Diffs
    UE EXT Suspension Kit
    UE Gen IV Servo Saver
    UE SuperShocks
    UE 6mm CVDS
    Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles
    Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins
    ACNCM Front Bulkheads
    Hardcore Racing Rear Bulkheads

Powered by the Castle 1717 setup found in the XO-1. I need to unlock the ESC eventually.

I am using mismatched bulkheads because this truck is going to be bashed and I could really careless about them matching. These were some spares I had in my parts box. They are shiny, so they will fit right in. This will be a good test of their durability.

I still need quite a few parts such as shocktowers, a center diff, servo, pillowballs, turnbuckle rod ends, batteries, etc. Unfortunately, the Holidays are closing in on us and I have 2 daughters with big wish lists from Santa this year. Chances are good that I may not even get back to completing this until after the holidays when I have some spending money again.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    Looking good. Good news is that most of the items needed to finish the truck are on the less expensive end of the scale (pillowballs and tie rod ends are pretty cheap, shock towers too.)
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Big Air Don't Care
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    Looking good. Good news is that most of the items needed to finish the truck are on the less expensive end of the scale (pillowballs and tie rod ends are pretty cheap, shock towers too.)
    I know thank goodness. But many of the items I need, I need multiples of, like 3 sets of pillowballs, 3 knucklehead sets, etc and prefer to order in one group.

Im waiting for the UE "Holiday Specials Savings Deals Extravaganza" to jump on...

But, I may just get what is needed to complete this truck alone in the meantime.

Well you're off to a great start

Big Air Don't Care
    Got a couple of things done with this recently.

To the list I have added

HCR Front and Rear Titanium Skids
    Kyosho 50t Center Diff
    RCM 13t Pinion

Going to be running 13/50 gearing. I have yet to put the center diff together but I will be using 10/30/7 in the diffs.

With the help of Travis, the skids were cut down and trimmed to properly fit as well as get ESC securely mounted to the rear top chassis plate. The ESC is huge because it is the one directly from an XO-1. The reason I am running this ESC is because I got it for a deal in combination with the 1717. It has some extra plastic and components on it that made it much larger than others. The only place it could be mounted was on rear top plate. 2 of the screws to the ESC are to be mounted on top of ESC while the other 2 came up through the bottom. The top 2 were simple, just drill right into the plate. The bottom 2 though did not make contact with the plate so with the left over pieces from the cut skid, he modified a plate with some spacers that would enable the ESC to be mounted from below. It came out perfect. This thing isn't going anywhere.

Lookin' awesome dude!

I love how the skids look all mounted up, and I think the ESC looks perfect where its at.

Glad I could help!

-Travis

Skids look awesome, great wok Travis!

Looks good so far. You guys are killing me with the hcr skids though. They look good, but they won't fit my maxx's now, haha. . Luckily I have collected quiet a few sets to last me through my days of running and show builds.

Maybe towers will be included in the Black Friday sale???

Big Air Don't Care
    Quote Originally Posted by blazerss
    Maybe towers will be included in the Black Friday sale???
    I could use 3 sets at the moment. That'd be nice.

Mike are you having any trouble getting the XO-1 ESC to calibrate to a non traxxas radio. I am trying to get my futaba radio and XO-1 esc to bind and it simply wont happen??
    BIG HORSEPOWER=BIG CUBIC INCHES=BIG DOLLARS

Big Air Don't Care
    I have only ever used a Traxxas radio. Haven't tried using anything else. Never really "needed" to upgrade, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelMan
    Lookin' awesome dude!

I love how the skids look all mounted up, and I think the ESC looks perfect where its at.

Glad I could help!

-Travis
    I guess I'll be sending you my skids too
    -Neil

Big Air Don't Care
    It has been a while since I posted anything on this truck. Closing in on completion. Since the last update, I have added the following,

Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles
    RPM Front and Rear Bumpers
    RPM Skid plates for front and rear
    UE Knucklehead Towers
    UE Steel Pillowballs
    UE Retainers
    OncleBens Centralemaxx 17mm Adapters

To complete this truck and get it running, I need to install the Hitec 7955tg Steering servo and RX box, and ziptie the wires down. I have yet to get body posts and replacement cvd boots as well.

- Mike - I often worry when I die, my wife will sell my RC stash for what I told her I paid...

Veteran
    That looks awesome! Good job! Will it bottom out with those huge Cen Gen Tires?

Looking good. I have gone to no bumpers on my runner. I ran plastic mounts and rpm bumpers and was still breaking and bending screws in the bulk braces.

Big Air Don't Care
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaz25
    That looks awesome! Good job! Will it bottom out with those huge Cen Gen Tires?
    No. If I push the chassis all the way down, there is still 3/4" of clearance.
    - Mike - I often worry when I die, my wife will sell my RC stash for what I told her I paid...

Big Air Don't Care
    Quote Originally Posted by blazerss
    Looking good. I have gone to no bumpers on my runner. I ran plastic mounts and rpm bumpers and was still breaking and bending screws in the bulk braces.
    Yeah I wasn't sure about the bumpers at first. I figured since it will be a runner, wouldn't hurt to have the extra cushion. We will see how it goes. May end up running without them after the first big hit. Ha.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Babby
    No. If I push the chassis all the way down, there is still 3/4" of clearance.
    Are you worried about that? Going to run it that way?

-Zack

Big Air Don't Care
    Are you worried about that? Going to run it that way?

-Zack
    There isn't much I can do about that being the spot the chassis stops at when being put under heavy load. It will never touch the ground with these wheels on no matter what I do. I planned on tuning the suspension once it is running to stiffen up the springs to limit the trucks chance to reach that threshold. What should I be concerned about?

The potential for blowing out the shocks.

I'm guessing you went with these wheels just because you like them?
    -Chris

Big Air Don't Care
    These wheels I put on it because I just had these laying around. I do have a much smaller set as well.

Well thats a downer. I really like the beefy look these wheels gave it.

You can run it that way Mike. Not saying it's a definite, but the potential is there. Happened to a buddy of mine.
    -Chris

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I don't think you'll blow out the shocks, but you might bend the upper bolt (at the shock tower.) That's a lot of force to be putting on those little bolts.

Depends on how hard you bash it I suppose. Try it and find out...that's how we learn, around here anyway.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Big Air Don't Care
    Well then lets give it a try. See if we can learn something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Babby
    Well then lets give it a try. See if we can learn something here.

Heck YA!!!
    -Chris

Veteran
    I think you bend stuff and bust the shocks. Robin would know better than I though.

Veteran
    Well, I don't care for big tires but those look great on there. I would take it right out as is and beat the crap out of it and see what gives.

Administrator

Bending Parts

Well for sure, if you ram head on into a railroad tie or a chain link fence like some drivers do.

I think that most of us are pretty much beta testers anyway considering that this is a relatively new design. The HVL is a great design, but we on here thrive on modifications and pushing things to their limits. That is what makes this site such and appealing place to hang out, right? Beat it up and share your experience with it. Some of us won't have a chance to play with ours for a while anyway, so you might as well.

Veteran
    It looks like you could go out one mount hole on the arms and one mount hole up on the shock tower. That would help.

-Zack

Big Air Don't Care
    It looks like you could go out one mount hole on the arms and one mount hole up on the shock tower. That would help.

-Zack
    I will adjust it and see how it sits. Would stiffer springs be a wiser idea as well? All black?

...just realized your Forum ID is your name backwards, very clever...

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN13
    Well, I don't care for big tires but those look great on there. I would take it right out as is and beat the crap out of it and see what gives.
    That's the plan! Let's get to the bottom of this and see what breaks first. We all love carnage at anothers expense. Ha. I'm really curious as to how these front ACNCM bulks hold up.

You will bend shock shafts if your shocks are able to bottom out. It looks cool to jack a truck up, but 1:1 monster trucks have bump stops to prevent shocks bottoming out. The simple solution for us maxx bashers is to set it up so the chassis hits the ground before that happens. Rc-Solutions made a shock tower that extended out from the bulks and limited the upward travel of the a-arms, a simple "bump stop" solution.

You don't want to just throw stiff springs at it to try and limit it, then you'll have a bouncy poor handling truck.

Besides the shock problems big wheels and tires like that are a huge rotational mass to keep in check, and lead to driveshaft and differential failure. I've taken to running the lightest wheels and tires possible to mitigate damages.

ACNCM makes quality parts.

Big Air Don't Care
    Well thanks guys for the feedback and education. This is my first Supermaxx so call me a noob. These ideas and thoughts are very much appreciated. Luckily, this wheel and tire combo was just laying around in my "spare parts" bin and I didn't buy these for this truck specifically. Can you guys suggest a good wheel/tire combo?

I will look into more suitable tire/wheels. I may, when the time comes, give these a test still and tune the suspension a bit to see if I can moderately bash with them and see how it goes.

I love the premounted badlands

Here was the cheapest I could find them new...

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Pro-Line.../pro117811.htm
    -Chris

I'll second the premounted 3.8 badlands!

-Travis

Definitely bash the hell out of those wheels. It will be fun. I was just commenting on what can happen. It's worth experiencing for one's self in my opinion. I wish I would have cataloged all my maxx builds over the years. I want to say 20+ between the nitro and electric platforms.

You can't really beat the badlands at the moment for a good wheel/tire combo.

Bowties are my favorite on a nice light spoked rim, but if run on pavement at all you will wear them out rather quickly.

Awesome build. I love the look at the moment with the white body and wheels. I'm more of an autobots guy, but to each their own!

Big Air Don't Care
    Quote Originally Posted by _paralyzed_
    I'm more of an autobots guy, but to each their own!
    All Hail MegaMaxx!

Yeah I am going to get a few runs on it with these wheels and tires and see just how it all performs and see if I can't break a thing or 2. I will also be grabbing a set of those Proline Badlands pre-mounted as well. Thanks Chris for the link. Like everyone has said, this is a learning experience, let's see what happens.

Thread Information