Thread: Track report: Easley Hobby Connection 4-5-13

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar

Track report: Easley Hobby Connection 4-5-13

We arrived at Hobby Connection to a nice sunny afternoon and a soggy track. It looked like a nice day to be playing and the track was very high bite. A bit chilly, but I had plenty of layers so no problem.

Trucks were ready with the new battery trays and eager for a pounding. Eric had put in a separate BEC at 8.4V and he showed me his steering was nearly twice as fast as mine on the same servo. Hmmmm, interesting.

Out for a little practice and I was immediately in trouble. Seemed like it had no power, but it was just that the slipperential was slipping. And wouldn’t you know it, I left my parts box with the special tool in it at the house. Not to be stopped, I found a drill bit of an appropriate size and tightened it down. Back on the track we bashed them for a full battery pack. Eric hit the LVC and when I charged mine the start level was 10%. It was fun and the trucks worked great.

My driving is absolutely dreadful. Truck was wonderful. Goes straight, jumps nicely and really soaks up the bumps. Seemed happy on this little track geared with a 12T pinion and the 46T on the slipperential. Eric’s motor came off hot, but not unacceptably bad, mine with the fan was just barely warm. Trucks were fairly clean which surprised me as the track was pretty muddy.

OK, time to race. We got stuck in with the 1/8 nitro buggys and there’s one pro driver in the class.

1st qualifier was a lot of fun, my driving was not anything to brag about, but I ran fairly clean and sloooowwww.
    2nd qualifier I got the GoPro working so there’s vid of this one. Reviewing the vids I’m not doing too bad. At one point Eric passed me and I actually kept up with him for a couple laps then started thinking about how well I was doing and wrecked it. LOL.
    The main didn’t go well for me. They said ‘GO’ and my brain heard ‘run the truck off that track’. So I didn’t get off to a good start and that made it worse. Took at least 3 laps to settle down and then it was fun. Hung with Eric a couple times (as lap traffic) but that’s OK for now.

I do think some of my struggles are the slow steering (you can sort of see it in the vids where I’m overcorrecting) so I’m going to do what Eric did and wire it with a BEC for 8.4V, it’s a shame the Tekin doesn’t do this on it’s own, but OK, we have a workaround.

All in all it was a very fun return to racing after nearly a decade off. I came in last place of course, but the truck ran very well and had zero issues. All in all a good day.

Video will be up soon. Here's the 2nd qualifier
    http://youtu.be/ehYBDLfR36E
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

woow It looked like a lot off fun, and It looked like the new battery trays hold up nicely too. Fun watching you two battling it out
    Thank`s for sharing

Some pictures Carolina got.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    Video will be up soon. Here's the 2nd qualifier
    http://youtu.be/ehYBDLfR36E
    Was a blast.

What's that beautiful blue body passing on the inside at :30????

Landing on yours for the win at 4:00 hehehe

More good action at 4:25
    - Eric -

Here's the main
    http://youtu.be/nFHugMXb7eM

(vid still uploading, will take about 30min)

Looks like yall had a great time. I have practiced on a track before but never raced, so I'm sure I would be horrible on a track racing. How did Eric do in the main?

Quote Originally Posted by blazerss
    Looks like yall had a great time. I have practiced on a track before but never raced, so I'm sure I would be horrible on a track racing. How did Eric do in the main?
    About 8 seconds behind a sponsored driver in a 1/8th buggy who won.
    - Eric -

hehe ther was a few hard passes too Eric =D
    Nice Pictures
    The main vid, not working.
    Thank`s for sharing

Seems like you had a blast. I have allways wanted to race my E-maxx's, but after nearly a decade building and running E-maxx's, I still haven't raced!! Hopefully someday these trucks will also be allowed in a Danish race.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    Here's the main
    http://youtu.be/nFHugMXb7eM

(vid still uploading, will take about 30min)
    Good run.

First 4 minutes are black for some reason, then it actually starts 4:20ish at the beginning of the race. I think you can crop it out inside of youtube.

Some good footage there at 13:40 of both vehicles.
    - Eric -

Fixing the main video now.

*edit now 9:20 after the video edit* Some good footage there at 9:20 of both vehicles.

We have to figure out how to get a gopro right up front
    - Eric -

Thread Information