Thread: Cracked Lower Half VBS

Cracked Lower Half VBS

Guys I got terrible news. Im sick about it. Today I cracked the lower half of the VBS where the hinge pins go. Ruined a RacerX arm but I could absolutely care less about that.
    See pictures below. Do any of you think this can be repaired? I really hope so. Please give me your ideas/ suggestions. I really at a loss of things to do at this moment.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

MM can you please help? Do you have any thought on this?

ouch

Veteran
    Bevel and tig it, looks like a good hit what was it?

I hit a unmovable object, 2/3 throttle 2nd gear. Also wrecked my jouces and mangled the TI skid and bumper.

I was hoping I could get some one to weld if for me. I do not have access to a TIG so i'll have to find somebody I can trust. When you say to "bevel" to you mean like to "V" out the crack area so a welder could get a good weld in that tight of a spot.

Veteran
    Look at the arm. Its bent!
    RespiroGrafx

what blaz said. get someone who can weld real nice. Get a set of setbacks to replace those stockers. Might take quite a bit of filing to get the arm to fit right again, but with time it could be good as new. I'd try to relocate that ear by inserting a hingepin to get that ear positioned right. tack it and finish welding around the crack from there. Thats pretty weird how you broke one on the inside but not any of the outters......... stumped on how you did that one. Must of hit that arm pretty good to get one of those inner ears to break off like that
    Learning is living

now thats som badly mangeld arm and VBS bottom end.
    one thing Is sure you are gona acquirer som skills fixing this
    Thank`s for sharing

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    You can't weld this stuff. You'll turn it into butter when all the heat treating is gone. I'm afraid you wrecked that one.
    I wrecked one once, hit a telephone pole head on at WOT.

What I'd like to know is how you got your hands on VBS 4.1s? We never sold that version - prototypes. Only legit path I can think of is if it came off a Razorback.
    “That which doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger.” - Nietzsche

Veteran
    Broken find a good tig welder familiar with welding aluminum, explain the rarity of the piece and material type, he will fix it. MM's right but things can be done to not kill the heat treat. Yes v the crack so a good root can be made. As stated above use hinge pin for alignment, clamp ear good.

WOW that arm got owned big time.

What in the world did you hit?...at WOT?

Sorry to hear about your VBS

MM is right though. Even if you do get it fixed up, and in working order again, it won't take near the hit it took this time to recreate the carnage.

-Travis

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    What I'd like to know is how you got your hands on VBS 4.1s? We never sold that version - prototypes. Only legit path I can think of is if it came off a Razorback.
    How can you tell they are the 4.1 version?
    Learning is living

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by max2max
    How can you tell they are the 4.1 version?
    He's good like that

I was wondering the same thing. But he's the man that designed them, so whatever little detail it is that is different about them, he would obviously know.

Still curious what that detail is though?

-Travis

Quote Originally Posted by RyanH85
    He's good like that
    lol, ok.... Specifically, what features and/or revisions have been made from this version compared to the ones produced and sold? The only reason I ask is because I have two sets of VBS at the time. Their are variances between the two and I do believe one of the pair resembles this pair in almost every way. I read and searched last month and I read up on multiple runs and releases. It seemed their were quite a bit of setbacks with a few necessary changes as the runs went on. So I know there are quite a bit of variances between the sets that are out there. Once I read that, I just assumed I had two different versions. While they look almost identical on the outside, once the skid plates are removed, noticeable changes really start showing
    Learning is living

Veteran
    From MM:
    Weight difference between the VBS's Ti & Al skids should be ~15grams per end.

V4.1 and V4.2 have minor differences.
    V4.2 loses the helicoils for chassis mounting (yes, they can be added later if you ever strip out a hole.)
    V4.2 I tweaked the upper hingepin restraint design
    V4.2 got an extra rib from one of the lower tabs to the bearing support
    V4.1 & 4.2 have a slightly different rear skid, Plenty of v4.1 skids are being made so we will be able to support them in the future.
    V4.1 is a couple grams lighter (1-2)

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference if you had both in your hands unless I told you what to look for.

Someone asked if V4.1 would get the Ti skids, answer is yes.

didn't get to that one! good lookin!!
    Learning is living

Veteran
    Yeah, that post was from 01-20-2004. MM, I always thought that a few 4.1s were sold as per this post.

I have a set of VBS's that have V4.1 #2 inscribed on the side of them. I have always wondered what this meant and if MM did this or if someone that owned them before me did it for some reason. Any clue what #2 means?

Surely not the 2nd set of 4.1's made???

-Travis

duplicate post

I just seen the front arm. Wow Im off my game lately. disregard the setback suggestion
    Learning is living

What do you know, I'd completely forgotten about that. Old and paranoid I guess.

Yes, #2 must be the 2nd VBS. Cool

WOW, thanks MM. My VBS just became even more valuable and cool to me. On the down side though, now I probably wont even run them slightly in the front yard like I had considered doing. Maybe I need to find another set

I wonder where #1 went...Maybe SM1, I'll have to look.

Very cool Kris, congratulations

-Travis

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by max2max
    I just seen the front arm. Wow Im off my game lately. disregard the setback suggestion
    LMAO, it's a front setback

yeah i had #4 in the set

sold awhile back
    -Crash

I wonder where #1 went...Maybe SM1, I'll have to look.

maybe here

https://www.unlimitedengineering.com...hlight=vbs+4.1
    -Crash

Quote Originally Posted by blazerss
    I have a set of VBS's that have V4.1 #2 inscribed on the side of them. I have always wondered what this meant and if MM did this or if someone that owned them before me did it for some reason. Any clue what #2 means?

should also have "MonsterMaxx" inscribed on the ear that mounts to the chassis
    -Crash

You can't weld this stuff. You'll turn it into butter when all the heat treating is gone. I'm afraid you wrecked that one.
    I wrecked one once, hit a telephone pole head on at WOT.

This is what I was fearing. I was hoping MM would say "Oh I got a few spare bottoms laying around the shop". Not my luck. I know some of you say that it could be done. Here might be my problem I live in rural central Montana, while there are plenty of crafty tradesmen around here I think I will have a difficult time finding someone who appreciates the delicateness of this particular item. Im not sure what I'm going to do. I might cut the arm off and put this set of VBS on the shelf. I may swap out this set with one of my other 6 sets. Yet again I really am hesitant about doing this as I run the risk of doing this to another set of VBS.

To answer you MM, I got this set of VBS from a guy named John from Wayne, New Jersey. He sold me a whole truck, VBS, Thunder, RacerX, OTB Super6, UE CVDs, you know the works. Practically stole it from him for what he was asking for it.

I never knew it was a set of 4.1. I'm going to got through my sets to see if I can find the differences.

Oh Ya that set back front arm thing was pretty funny. God only knows what would have happened if I'd been running a Hi-impact arm.

Veteran
    You have a pm

Quote Originally Posted by brokenmaxx
    Oh Ya that set back front arm thing was pretty funny. God only knows what would have happened if I'd been running a Hi-impact arm.

In all fairness, the first two pics could arguably be the rear, limited to what the pictures show. Also I think only the front lower VBS section has that ramp cut in the middle of it. So that would have been a sign too. Either way though, glad you got a kick out of it. Funny to me that no one else said, "hey idiot" before I caught it.
    Learning is living

Veteran
    We all knew you were corn fussed just having some fun with ya. The ramped groove was engagement on the razor chassis

I think I would have had a teary moment if I had that happen...
    You not oly need a TIG, but someone who works a LOT on alloy welding... All the best in finding that...

Man that DOES suck.
    Ouch, I've been hit in the wallet!!!!
    It's not fatal, just hurts like ______..

Thread Information