Thread: I need tires

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar

I need tires

What should I be ordering?

I can run 14mm, 17mm and 23mm hexes. Dirt around here is typically red clay.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Veteran
    I recommend Proline VTR Caliber. This is what I have. It is pretty aggressive and can be reserved for slightly more bite(in the front for steering perhaps). They wear well because of the two layer design. No need to balance. Very low sidewall makes for awesome response. The way the mount is pretty cool too. I'm sure the vtr revolver is good too. Aka makes good tires.

Veteran
    Racing or bashing? Anything low profile will hold up the best. High mass tires/foams if you want it to do retarded things especially with 6s but tend to self destruct.

Veteran
    I meant to say reversed. The treads can be turned backwards. They are bidirectional.

For bashing the most popular tire is the new(ish) badlands. These are the 3.8 low sidewall badlands. The old ones had really weak rolly polly sidewalls.

'Said it before and I'll say it again. I L-O-V-E Badlands for bashing. Strong and not too heavy. Great on a lot of different surfaces. Get these; pre-mounted/glued on 1/2" offset wheels (#1178-11):

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    What should I be ordering?

I can run 14mm, 17mm and 23mm hexes. Dirt around here is typically red clay.
    Been a LONG time since I've looked at tires of this size, but general notes about the surface around here for those recommending tires.

I used relatively small pins on the SCT's and 1/8ths at our local track, hole shots, inside jobs, etc. Typically hard packed or slightly damp, the small pins helped keep grip while maintaining minimal buildup of clay/dirt. It's far from blue groove, but performs quite similar under ideal circumstances. That being said, it's sometimes a bit damp so flexibility is key.

If MM is going to run around the backyard, that is another matter entirely

I'll be bashing in the yard until I can build a track and also going to the track in Hobby Connection in Easley, SC. about 30min away

I've never liked offset in wheels. I feel the truck behaving badly with offset wheels on there. So'kay, I can glue.

Veteran
    +1 on the badlands for bashing, they hold up very well but will test the drivetrain.

Veteran
    Jconcept subcultures (super soft compound)! Will work extremely well on red clay. I used to travel down to The Farm 2 and race.
    RespiroGrafx

Subcultures were also a preferred one on the 4wd SCT. Those might work well.

Goose bumps were good too. Caliber were nice, but typically seem to wear a bit quickly.

Veteran
    The weather in S.Carolina will be a bit cooler. So soft tires will feel hard and you'll want softer than normal shock oils.
    RespiroGrafx

ordered up one set of Calibers and one set of badlands for each truck. Between a couple of bodies and some shock oil I spent $400! OUCH!

Thanks for the help.

Veteran
    $400?! ~$170 for 2 bodies?... Must be custom painted.
    RespiroGrafx

4 sets of tires. 2 for each truck. A lot of tires.

Feeding the Addiction feistyacorn's Avatar
    I really like AKA tires, City Blocks and I-Beams work great! They are clearancing out their old rim design tires and you can get them for cheap too. http://www.raceaka.com/Clearance_c_80.html

Thread Information