Thread: Psoriasis

Administrator

Psoriasis

I am not sure how many of you might suffer from this, but I have had what I consider a mild case of Psoriasis of the scalp since I was a young teen. During my adolesence I was able to control it by using simple shampoo products like Head & Shoulders, or Selun Blue. When I moved into my 40's things began to get more intense with flaking and irritation of my scalp, and the normal methods just were not working for me. I tried nearly every product out there and nothing seemed to be providing me with the level of control that I desired. Finally a few years ago I began trying some more serious treatments and came up with a combination that has given me total control and incredible relief. I found out about Salicycal acid, which can be found in Denorex shampoo and also in SeaBreeze at various % levels. The strongest over the counter products I have been able to find are at 3%. 3% SeaBreeze is terrific for treating acne or even other kinds of sores, and they help speed up the healing process.

Anyway the method that I have found that works best for me is this. When I shower I first clean all of the oils from my hair and scalp using a good clarifyer shampoo. This helps to allow whatever medicated shampoo you use to penetrate the skin and really be affective, because the natural body oils act as a protective shield and block the pores. Second I lather up using Denorex extra strength shampoo wich has 3% Salisycal acid, and let it soak while I take my shower. Then as a last step I use Head&Shoulders which has Zinc Phosphate for assisting with skin healing. Zinc phosphate is one of the best baby rash treatments I have ever seen or used when our kids were babies. Using both of these medicated shampoos has provided me with total relief from any symptoms. I have been dandruf and itching free for years now. Everyones body chemistry is different, but if you do have a problem like mine give this a try. It works.

Administrator

Research Says

I was doing a little research on this stuff. It seems that Psoriasis is actually a condition of the skin which means that skin cells are formed up to ten times faster than normal. This causes a back up if you will and the dead skin kind of piles up in the poors, causing irritation, and infections. Salicycle acid breaks down the dead skin and actually allows expidited exfoliation. The acid comes from the bark of a specific tree which helps the tree get rid of dead bark. Kind of like a snake sheds its skin. It also says that if you have corns or warts that it helps break them up so that they can be easily removed, and it helps speed up the natural healing process of the body as well. It is also used for some sort of dietary stuff as well, but I am not interested in that.

I was just in the states last month and noticed that finding the purple (3%) Sea Breeze is almost impossible now. The blue stuff is 2%. The highest level recommended is 5%, but I have not seen this sold over the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY2KONE
    I was doing a little research on this stuff. It seems that Psoriasis is actually a condition of the skin which means that skin cells are formed up to ten times faster than normal. This causes a back up if you will and the dead skin kind of piles up in the poors, causing irritation, and infections.
    My father had one of the more severe cases of Psoriasis. It was in his ears, his mouth, covered about 60% of his body and at time he would suffer great pain since the skin was not fully developed in the "Hot Spots" of his exposed skin and the nerves were screaming like it is a burn. Yup it is an "overproduction" of skin cells.

What you are trying to do is exfoliate the skin with the products you are mentioning so that the skin cells are producing skin for areas not affected... Sending the cell production to areas that can use taking the load away from the hot spots of fresh skin cells.....

I can tell you to look for products that use "coal tar". Nutrogena makes one but it's pricey, Walgreens makes an equivalent in the U.S. for a big bottle of their shampoo w/coal tar for $6.00...

I have picked up some of my Dad's genetic traits and have it on my scalp and a couple spots but nothing like he had... This stuff works better than all the products you mentioned... Why do I know? Been there done that...

The Nuetrogena Product is 5 times the price..

My father also used to soak in a bathtub using a product called "Balnetar", and also used the Balnetar product diluted and mixed with pretroleum jelly in which he would apply it on his skin and wrap it in plastic wrap for an hour or so...
    http://www.mybalnetar.com/aboutus1.htm

If he could not find the coal tar shampoo he would use a bit of Balnetar with baby shampoo (like a teaspoon to 1 bottle of shampoo... It worked....

Dermatoligists studied my Dad as he found better ways of controlling it than they did...

So give that shampoo a try, it's the coal tar, that not only help exfoliate the dead skin but also helps so much with the irritation you'd be surprised...
    I found Desonex OK but harsh, Head and Shoulders made my hole scalp itch worse.... I've tried literally every product under the sun and then went back to good ole Dad's method and glad I did!!!!

I'm very happy I did not have psoriasis as much as my Dad did, it can be a really nasty thing to live with....
    Ouch, I've been hit in the wallet!!!!
    It's not fatal, just hurts like ______..

Administrator

Tried That.

Yea I also tried that one. Although it did produce some relief Coal tar has been determind by the FDA to be (carcenagenic) a hazardous substance which can cause cancer, and has been removed from most skin treating products for health & saftey reasons. In fact there was a class action law suit against Denorex (early 2001 California) for this same reason and coal tar was ordered removed from their shampoo and replaced with Salasycle acid. The law suit stated that although coal tar did produce some level of relief up front that it also created negative issues that were considered harmful and eventually more irritating than the psoriasis itself. If you are still using this be careful.

Yea I also tried that one. Although it did produce some relief Coal tar has been determind by the FDA to be (carcenagenic) a hazardous substance which can cause cancer, and has been removed from most skin treating products for health & saftey reasons. In fact there was a class action law suit against Denorex (early 2001 California) for this same reason and coal tar was ordered removed from their shampoo and replaced with Salasycle acid. The law suit stated that although coal tar did produce some level of relief up front that it also created negative issues that were considered harmful and eventually more irritating than the psoriasis itself. If you are still using this be careful.
    So's Diet Soda, if you drink 200 cans of it every day.....

My father had seen Dr's from all over the country, as he was a University of Miami Medical center case study...

My father's concerns of it being a carcinogen were raised and 4 Oncologists all agreed it would take a LOT more exposure (basically would have to ingest it orally or inject it into your body to become that serious of a risk...

BTW, in California, everything is a carcinogen.. You know the toilet mints? They have a label stating California has labeled them as a carcinogen....

Sometimes the cure is not worse than the disease...

I watched this stuff do it's thing for my father to know it worked for him... With 80% coverage, I can honestly tell you that the threat of cancer was highly considered and this was the consensus of a great deal of Dr.'s....

Just thought you'd want to know you are absolutely correct, but it does take a huge amount of exposure to be of any serious threat and is still prescribed to many psoriasis patients....

Administrator

Believer

Oh trust me I am a believer in what your saying. In fact that was also one of the facts brought up during the trial stating that it would take extreme exposure in order to create any serious concerns. The problem is that we are all guinee pigs for these companies who could care less what happens to us using their products. Phillip Morse is still raking in billions selling smokes that have been proven to kill people. The convincing thing for me was when Denorex decided that it would be better to change its Denorex plants operations at a cost of millions of $$$$ in order to switch from Coal Tar to Salisycal acid. No private company does this unless their own scientists determine that it would be best to move in another direction to avoid a huge law suit pay out in the future. They are all about making money and could care less about us.

You are also right about the possible damage compared to the present relief is sometimes worth the risks. That is until the risk becomes reality. People take the same stance on smoking. It's all good until they get lung cancer and realize that they have shortened their lives for what they believe to be relief and worth the risk. Please don't get me wrong. I did not post this to get into a huge debate over good vs evil in the consumer marketing. I posted my results as a means of letting others know that I have found something that works and poses zero risks. This post allows anyone who reads this that may possibly have a similar problem to find relief from a product or products that may work for them without any health risks to them or those around them.

No private company does this unless their own scientists determine that it would be best to move in another direction to avoid a huge law suit pay out in the future. They are all about making money and could care less about us.
    Amen to that... I couldn't agree more...

I posted my results as a means of letting others know that I have found something that works and poses zero risks. This post allows anyone who reads this that may possibly have a similar problem to find relief from a product or products that may work for them without any health risks to them or those around them.
    Same thing Jerry I wasn't trying to argue in any way, just making similar points as you and the experiences I had, my father had, hopefully Anyone reading this may get some relief or something to try....

They had my dad taking "methotrexate" for years and that is some seriously bad bad stuff.... Stay away from it at all costs... He had to have 3 liver biopsies because of that drug!!!

Another tidbit for fellow sufferers...

I've been scratching my head as I read through this thread. All winter long my head flakes and itches. I hope I can find some relief, thanks guys!

UE forums, for all your psoriasis needs!

Administrator

Are You Lost

Hey there Harold. Are you lost? I have not seen you around here before. Welcome aboard young man. And thanks for visiting my thread even if you only want to poke fun at it.

Hey there Harold. Are you lost? I have not seen you around here before. Welcome aboard young man. And thanks for visiting my thread even if you only want to poke fun at it.
    Jerry my head is a flaky mess. I'm seriously going to pick up some Sea Breeze. I'm so sick of the itching and spots I rub raw. I always attributed it to the dry winter air, but it is definitely getting worse as I age.

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Administrator

Winter Effects

Reading through your earlier post about having bigger problems during winter months is also an issue that affects me. The problem is that the dry winter air dries out our skin casuing it to dry out and crack creating serious itching problems. Using Denorex on its own will help get rid of the flaking, but it will also dry out your skin even faster. This is why you have to use Head & Shoulders as a secondary assist, because it repairs dry skin. The zinc phosphate in Head & Shoulders is the same stuff that is used in baby rash creams and it helps heal the damaged skin. Its a two part therapy for sure, and neither of them will work on their own.

Funny thing I went to visit my sister in Pa in August and found out that she was having similar issues and decided to see a dermatologist who recommended the exact combination and prescribes this treatment. I just figured it out on my own. I hope you do try this out and let us know how it works out for you. It takes a few weeks of the same routine for a total fix, but give it time and it will show some good results for you.

Thread Information