Thread: Unused Lipo Battery Swells?

Unused Lipo Battery Swells?

I have some Turnigy Batteries sitting on a shelf over here in their Original Packaging. These things are indoors, in the dark, inside a cabinet that never gets warmer then 70*F.

That being said I went into my hobby cabinet and found one of my boxes open. As I said these are unused un-open boxes. I figured one of my kids was in my desk. But what i found surprised me. Here was a never used Turnigy 5000 batter 2x it's normal size. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

I have an email into Turnigy and am waiting for a response.

Mike
    UE BB SuperMaxx
    HB Lightning Stadium Pro
    http://teamtrenton.proboards67.com/

Administrator

How Long?

The conditions sound reasonable, but the one thing you did not share with us is just how long was it in there? And even though it puffed did you check to see what the voltage was when you found it?

Yeah if you checked them when you got them and made sure they were at 50% before you stored them depending on how long they sat there nothing should of happened. But if they were sitting for a few months without being checked I could see it happening. Those gotta be checked every so often to make sure a cell is not discharged. I usually pop mine on the charger once a month or even 7-8 weeks out and check the voltage to make sure everything is good to go. I go to my local Army Surplus store and I keep all my LiPo's in 2 Ammo boxes that are sealed up tight in case one should burst while I am not home or anytime really. Those LiPo's are scary when they burst......haha!

Let us know what you find out. They should warranty it since it was brand new.

Well, I feel like an idiot. They have sat their for much longer then a month lets try 12 or more months.

Mike
    UE BB SuperMaxx
    HB Lightning Stadium Pro

Administrator

Kind Of Figured That

I kind of figured that. Leaving them sit for 12 months is not all that bad, but what state were they in when you put them away? If they were discharged or even below 50% and were left for that long of course there would be a risk of failure. I have a couple of Max Amps Lipos that have been sitting for about four years without using them. I purchased them when MaxAmps first came onto the scene and never trusted using them so they were charged up and stored in a metal case. I take them out every once in a while just to check the voltage and believe it or not they are still holding a full charge. I would not expect them to be any good after all this time, but I figured this could be a sort of test to see how long they will last before failing. I have to go back and look through my receipts to see exactly when I got them, but it was quite a while ago. Anyway I would have to say from a friendly perspective that your failure is because you left them sit for far too long without checking on them. I would seriously doubt that anyone would warranty them considering the circumstances. Just my two cents.

These things were bought with the intentions of doing a brushless conversion on my Mugen. I neve got around to it so they have just sat. I have never plugge them into anything.

Mike
    UE BB SuperMaxx
    HB Lightning Stadium Pro

Yeah, ignorance is not always bliss. I bought 4 of them an the other 3 are good.
    UE BB SuperMaxx
    HB Lightning Stadium Pro

Hey stranger thought you got onto 2 wheels and left 4wheels completely...

Sorry to hear about that battery,,, sucks.
    Ouch, I've been hit in the wallet!!!!
    It's not fatal, just hurts like ______..

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Hey stranger thought you got onto 2 wheels and left 4wheels completely...

Sorry to hear about that battery,,, sucks.

Traded in my Vrod 2 yrs ago and got a Buell. thing broke down 3 days later. Every time I took it in for issues they "couldn't be replicated". Even after video taping the bike overheat and melt its own gas cap seals I was told their was nothing wrong with it. 2nd degree burns on the high inside area of my right thigh and I took a trip to the ER and called a Lemon Law attorney. We're finally in settlement phase now.

Besides that I had lost a decent job only to find another and get shafted a year later. Still reeling financially from all this so my hobbies got sidelined. But now with tax returns in, and this settlement looming any day I've dug myself out of the Red, and am seeing left over cash in the future budget. I don't think I'll be doing 2 wheels again right away. Sooooo, I broke out the Merv, Mugen, and Micro T. My racing team and LHS broke up over a year ago, but I have a few friends wanting to jump on 1/16 lipo Mervs and Slashes. I can't let them think they have a chance if I break out my toys.

Mike
    UE BB SuperMaxx
    HB Lightning Stadium Pro

Thread Information