Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Coffee With the Parrot

Quote Originally Posted by daparrothead
    Managed to get out of work today without getting forced to work the rest of this week so I'm off until January 6 .
    I hear you Kenny. I've worked the last few weekends myself, and being salary, well it just sucks. It's the medical field, we are launching a new product, so it's good busy. I have today and tomm off, then work Thurs and Fri, and then I'm off until January 2!! RC building here I come...lol

with our cups of joe this morning
    -Chris

Coffee Cups up to ya bud

I will hopefully be getting stuff done to get the new motor in my car over the next week & 1/2, can't wait to get this bad boy fired up.

Another cup of coffee for you hahaha. Finally got to drink coffee on a regular basis now. I have to retire from the navy in order to become a coffee drinker but not when I was still in the service. Such is life .
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Having a cup right now waiting on all the grandkids, niece's & nephews to get up and see what Santa brought them. Thought I would throw up a few of the latest pic's of the new bullet.

Motor mounts bead blasted & painted, no more corroded bare factory aluminum for me.

Exhaust manifolds cleaned up & installed along with the motor mounts.

Valve covers & new ATI 17% OD balancer will be going on this afternoon, hopefully this bad boy will be in the car this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by george16
    Another cup of coffee for you hahaha. Finally got to drink coffee on a regular basis now. I have to retire from the navy in order to become a coffee drinker but not when I was still in the service. Such is life .
    Just means you are joining the old man club buddy.

Just means you are joining the old man club buddy.
    What old man club ?
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Getting ready to head out to Salt Grass Steak House for dinner, hit the big
    5 ohhhh today.

Getting ready to head out to Salt Grass Steak House for dinner, hit the big
    5 ohhhh today.

Happy birthday Kenny. Enjoy your birthday dinner.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Happy B-DAY, not too far behind you.

Question on your build- You going to ceramic coat them headers? It goes a long ways to keeping the heat in the pipe and keeping the engine bay cooler, especialy with boost. It also looks great too! I have all my stuff done locally where my guy gives a lifetime warranty, never had it come off even on my race car.

Quote Originally Posted by hirevn
    Happy B-DAY, not too far behind you.

Question on your build- You going to ceramic coat them headers? It goes a long ways to keeping the heat in the pipe and keeping the engine bay cooler, especialy with boost. It also looks great too! I have all my stuff done locally where my guy gives a lifetime warranty, never had it come off even on my race car.
    I thought seriously about it but several of the guys I run the tx mile with did theirs and said it really wasn't worth the cost so I scratched doing them.

HBD Kenny!! Mines Mooonday
    -Chris

Thanks all on the Berfday wishes, We went out to dinner at the Salt Grass Steak House and it was mitey tastey.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetride4me
    HBD Kenny!! Mines Mooonday
    Happy Early Berfday Chris. Figured I would tell ya now, you know how us ole guys are, CRS.

Well once again I have to work on somebody else's stuff. My S-I-L 2011 Dodge Journey needs rear rotor's & pads, turn the front rotors & pads. She took it somewhere and they told her $800 bucks and she can't afford that so I will be the good Samaritan once again. Parts were only $215 bucks at Oreilly.

Administrator

Brake Job

Nothing like a good brake job. Happy birthday Kenny, & Chris. I will be 55 soon enough, and life just keeps moving on. The only real changes I have seen are that the body just cannot keep doing the same things I use to do.

I'm a ripe ole 33 in a few days... lol
    -Chris

Happy beef day Chris.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

I'm a ripe ole 33 in a few days... lol
    Just a baby! Lol

Happy birthday mate
    BIG HORSEPOWER=BIG CUBIC INCHES=BIG DOLLARS

Well got the full brake job on my S-I-L 2011 Dodge Journey done today. Back rotor's were metal to metal, rotors were trashed. Had the front's turned. Man this thing was a PIA to get jacked up, there is only 4 points to jack from so it makes it hard to get it jacked up and a jack stand in the same place.

Oh, you didn't know your suppose to have a lift in your garage to work on these new cars? Haha. Manufactures are making it harder and harder to work on your own car it seems.

That is exactly how they are made now, they do not intend for you to use a jack & jack stands under them for sure. But with a little redneck ingenuity it can be done.

I wish I had a 2 post lift, man would that make like much easier.

A long time family friend of mine has a 2 post in his garage. I have the code to the garage and get to use it whenever I need to makes oil changes, tire rotations, and brakes a breeze. I hate getting on the ground laying on my back to work under something. I will have a lift when I have my garage for sure.

Wow I just thought my car was a pia to work on, helped my son pull the motor & trans out of his 08 mustang. You could not pay me enuff to work on these regularly.

Pittsburgh Pass Tru Socket Set

Ok I know most will probably see thread title and automatically think, JUNK! And normally that would have been my thought also, but! I've always been one to buy quality tools such as Snap 0n,Matco, Craftsman etc. and normally wouldn't even consider most of the knock off cheap brand tools. I ended up with a Pittsburgh pass thru socket set from a family Christmas party. I'm hear to tell you these things are tuff as heck, fit & finish is as good or better than most newer Snap On stuff I've bought and way better than any Craftsman junk. I didn't figure the ratchet would last a couple uses but I put some serious stuff on these things the last couple days and its still going strong. For the price, I'm going to order a second set to put in my road tool box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piec...set-67974.html

Harbor Freight is really hit and miss. There is some absolute garbage and some absolute amazing deals.

For example, one of the workshop dust collectors nearly IDENTICALLY mirrors a few major high end name brand units, and with one or two add-on pieces you can get a unit for 20-25% of the cost. It's like the last step on the assembly like is to slap a different sticker on it. I had an electric screwdriver from there that was $15. I knew it would be a throw away item, but still got 100 or so packs through it before I dropped it and broke. On the other hand, I've had some hand tools that are absolute crap or pretty solid. Their torque wrench lasted I think two nuts.
    - Eric -

That's some great info, thanks daparrothead! Its always great to find cheap off brand tools that are high quality at a fraction of the price of their brand name counterparts.

Although I have never found any of my Craftsman tools to be junk, I have tried branching off and getting different tools like this from Harbor Freight, only to be the lucky one that gets the junk every time. So eventually I quit, as it just felt I was wasting money, and I've stuck to Craftsman ever since. When something does break or wear out, it's nice to just swing over to Sears with the tool, and walk out with a brand new one, at no additional cost out of pocket. When I take a chance on the cheap stuff, I'm just out that money for good.

I was taught as a kid that most of the time, spending the extra money up front on a better product will save you money in the long run, vs buying the cheapo 17 times because it keeps breaking. In general, that principal has served me well. But of course as we see here, sometimes there are superior products available out there at a much lower cost. You just have to find them.

-Travis

I have over $100 G tied up in hand tools easily, I use to wrench for a living and bought mostly Snap On & Matco and some Craftsman. My father always bought Craftsman tools, and preached it to my brother & I about buying quality tools. I have some Craftsman ratchets that are 35 yrs old and still going strong, their ratchet quality has gone down hill big time in comparison to the older ones. And don't be fooled by the old school thought that all Craftsman tools are warrantied for life like they use to be, because they are not and a lot of them are made oversea's now. I have had several run-in's with Sears in the last couple years over tool warranty issues so I am very selective about what I buy from them now. I have two Craftsman 3 ton floor jacks that were bought at the same, one wasn't used 3 times, it quit working completely and was 2 months out of the 1yr warranty and they wouldn't replace it. Still looks like you just took it out of the box. The other was just 2 yrs old and the lever that goes to the piston that actually pumps the oil broke off, and it is the exact same condition as the first and they won't do squat about it either. So I have $400 worth of JUNK floor jacks sitting here.
    Just had a run-in with them over replacing 5 ratchets at the store 3 weeks ago, they wouldn't replace them in the store, they wanted me to take them to a service center and have them rebuilt. Or they would mail these in and then mail me back new replacements which I just got back last Friday.

Snap on man never gives me trouble about replacing tools. My dad taught me to stay away from Craftsman, he will only buy Snap on. One day I will be tool rich, until then I will keep making do with what he has already given me that he has multiples of.

Veteran
    Bottom line is you get what you pay for when it comes to tools and rc stuff that's why most if not all of us are on this site!

Well I been sick with the crud for over a week so I been just hangin out at the house, haven't felt like doing much. I did make some contacts on getting some Snap On & Matco ratchets repaired & replaced the last 3 days.

This us when you need rc's to wrench on Kenny
    -Chris

This us when you need rc's to wrench on Kenny
    Yeah rub it in buddy I will be back in it soon!

Waz up folks ?
    Well things around here have taken a major swing so all toys are on hold for a while. BP made an announcement last week that in the next 5 quarters there would be asset's sold, some site closures and lay off's. Doesn't surprise me though, my wife & I both just got our 25 yr service award and 2 days later we get this bad news.
    So I'm in the middle of putting the Challenger back to stock for the time being, sold most of all the hot rod parts.
    Been itching to get back into r/c's for a while but the money just isn't there right now and it doesn't look like it will be any time soon either. Man I have kicked myself in the azzzz dozens of times now for selling my last Supermaxx truck, sure would be nice to have it now.

yeah my company has already taken away 401k matching in preparation for the impending downturn in the gulf (offshore supply vessels). Next up is a cut in travel pay and then back to 2012 day rates for employees. But gas is cheap...I kind of like gas being over $3 a gallon. That means business is good in the oilfield
    -Neil

Veteran
    Is this the current running thread on this site??? I've been gone awhile..lol
    Miss Vegas.18 burn'n up the water
    OS.21 revo 10 gallons on motor
    Slash 4x4
    H.R. muntant project

Veteran
    I think it is the only thread lol
    RespiroGrafx

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by respirologyr
    I think it is the only thread lol
    So what happened to everybody?lol..
    Miss Vegas.18 burn'n up the water
    OS.21 revo 10 gallons on motor
    Slash 4x4
    H.R. muntant project

That's a question. Just checking in after a long absence.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

I am still having fun with the Corvette. Just became a Volunteer Fireman this year and just got my job back at Dan Henry Distributing. Going over the road this time driving the big rigs going to pick up beer at the breweries. My wife is finally getting some time off after the time I have been off with Austin. We are just waiting for some warm weather so we can play with our trucks! It is just beginning to dry up. Been a sloppy mess and cold the last few weeks.

I am excited to see the Wide Trac knuckles arrive! It took forever to score a set and now some new ones on the way is awesome.

Thread Information