Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Finish My Maxx

Veteran

Help Me Finish My Maxx

I'm pretty far along with the build, I'll post some truck picks up later. I really need help with this:

I got my diffs in and one of them was perfect but the other one's rear screw wasn't all the way in making for a small crack going about half way around the diff.. And it was loudish compared to the other one when moved by my fingers still felt kinda smooth though. So I opened it up to find a spring in the screw hole? Is it a helicoil what do they do?? And it was stick out a good bit which was keep the case from closing as mentioned. I got the bright idea of trying to thread the screw into only this spring and when I did it won't come off the screw now. Here is where I am:

Thanx,
    Zack

it was a helicoil. helicoils are used when a hole is stripped out. so if a 3mm screw hole is stripped out, you tap and thread it to 4mm and stick in a 4mm helicoil so the inner diameter of the coil is 3mm which makes it so that you can still use the screw and the hole.

Veteran

Help Me Finish My Maxx

I'm pretty far along with the build, I'll post some truck picks up later. I really need help with this:

I got my diffs in and one of them was perfect but the other one's rear screw wasn't all the way in making for a small crack going about half way around the diff.. And it was loudish compared to the other one when moved by my fingers still felt kinda smooth though. So I opened it up to find a spring in the screw hole? Is it a helicoil what do they do?? And it was stick out a good bit which was keep the case from closing as mentioned. I got the bright idea of trying to thread the screw into only this spring and when I did it won't come off the screw now. Here is where I am:

Thanx,
    Zack

That is close but I don't think the O.D size of a 3mm heli-coil is a standard 4mm size, the heli-coil kit's use a special tap that comes in the kit. Heli-coils are used for repairing stripped threads but at the same time they are also used to make a stronger thread. Many manufacturer's install heli-coils in new aluminum part's just for the purpose of making the threads stronger.
    That case can be fixed easily with a new heli-coil insert, the catch is if you don't have the heli-coil kit already it will cost you about $65-$85. I can repair this case for you if you don't have a heli-coil kit and it won't cost you much more then the shipping both way's and a few bucks for the insert.

Veteran
    I would hesitate to send it to kenny he is a stand up guy. not to mention hes going to save you alot of money.

If you use a bit of cloth or i prefer a little piece of leather, you can wrap around the coil and grip over that with plyers to remove it from the screw. with one hand squeeze the plyers on the coil and use the allen wrench to turn the screw out. then to put the coil back in the case you can use that screw. put a nut on the screw, but not all the way to the head. leave room to loosen it. then tighten the coil up to the nut. the nut acts as a stop for the coil, so you dont end up where you are now. after you insert the coil back in the case you can use the allen wrench and plyers to break that nut loose and unscrew the bolt from the coil. hope this works for ya.

if not i'll second that kenny is an honest, trustworthy guy!
    Learning is living

You may be able to put the heli-coil back in like that. Make sure you clean all the old loctite out of the threads first thing, put the insert in with red loctite and let it cure for 24 hours before you try to put a screw back in it.
    Oh and just a word of advice, what ever you do don't mess up the thread's the heli-coil goes into because if you do that case is pretty much junk because there is not enuff metal there to go to an over sized screw.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by daparrothead
    You may be able to put the heli-coil back in like that. Make sure you clean all the old loctite out of the threads first thing, put the insert in with red loctite and let it cure for 24 hours before you try to put a screw back in it.
    Oh and just a word of advice, what ever you do don't mess up the thread's the heli-coil goes into because if you do that case is pretty much junk because there is not enuff metal there to go to an over sized screw.
    good call with the loctite. i also should of used more words like carefully grip the coil and dont squeeze on it any harder than absolutely necessary. it can be done if you take your time and make sure you don't ruin that helicoil getting it off that screw.
    Learning is living

Zack,
    If you don't have any luck getting the heli-coil back in you can send it to me and I will put a new one in for you. I have done heli-coil for Rivermaxx, & CMCKella several times so you can ask around on here if you like it's up to you, I'm just trying to help out. Like I stated above though don't mess up those threads because if you do there isn't much I or anyone else can do with it.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    or you can send it to me with a self addressed return postage, takes seconds to put a helicoil in.

But, having said that, if you are into RC having a helicoil kit in your pitbox is a very valuable thing. You can even fix stripped plastic holes. You can get the recoil kit from travers tool under $40, I think Tony's Screws carrys them too.

For others who run into this kind of thing, best way to 'fix' it when some is sticking out is hit it with the cutoff wheel on the dremel and just grind off what you don't want. 'dish' the hole a little and you'll have no problems.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Why nut just use a longer bolt and put a locknut on the back? Or isn't there room for that?
    Ouch, I've been hit in the wallet!!!!
    It's not fatal, just hurts like ______..

Zack did you know the diff was coming like that or was this a surprise?
    It is better to burn out than to fade away-The Kurgen

Veteran

Thumbs up

Awesome guys! It is great to have helicoils explained to me in such a manner. Wow yeah doesn't sound like a job for a guy that just found out about helicoils 2day! Espcially when it was so pricey and nice.

Not enough room for a bolt nut and I don't want to junk up a nice part with such. Although would work great in a pinch if there was room. I didn't think about that. Thanx NitroNaught!

I wish I would have asked about the sticking out spring(helicoil) before i started messing with it. Blasted advanced UE technology!

I must admit I don't know how to ship something out to either of you guys!! I must learn how! Please tell me how! Its been bothering me for sometime now that I don't know. I have alot of stuff I could give away or sell. RC and otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by mkrusedc
    Zack did you know the diff was coming like that or was this a surprise?
    Surprise-o-runy. In fact I think it has been driven lightly like this alittle. Who ever I decide to ship it to (Kenny or Robin) can you guys check it out to make sure it is ok/tell me what it needs.

Thanks alot,
    Zack

Well I would repair the heli-coil and then check the complete set-up(shimming) of the diff it were me, especially if it has been ran like that because that will definately cause premature bearing and gear wear.
    Shipping isn't an issue, if you want me to fix the heli-coil and check the shimming on the diff shoot me a pm and I'll pm you my shipping address.

Veteran
    Yeah I'm going to send it to you Kenny. Don't want to slow MM from reproducing any of the parts! Sounds great man. I'll send ya a PM.

Veteran
    Oh and say what if something is amiss? Can I get it from what is it Kyosho? What all could be bad(new bearings to buy maybe?, new ring and pinion?) Not real expensive right?

Thanks,
    Zack

You can get it from UE or use Ofna parts I believe
    -Chris

Veteran
    OH and how much should I change my gear ratio! Right now I'm locked in 2nd(E-Maxx 3906 type tranny) with 72 spur 23 pinion. Geared for 40-41mph. Then the Strobe slipper is a whole other animal.

Hmmm... your changing a bit at once the diffs lower the gear ratio which is why Robin did the super6.... but locking the emaxx in 2nd and adding the strobe... you might want to lower your pinion tooth count.... not sure though.... you might need Lito or River to chime in here
    -Chris

You will definately need someone besides me to answer that question, I haven't owned any flashlight's.

Quote Originally Posted by kcaz25
    OH and how much should I change my gear ratio! Right now I'm locked in 2nd(E-Maxx 3906 type tranny) with 72 spur 23 pinion. Geared for 40-41mph. Then the Strobe slipper is a whole other animal.
    Use Brian's speed calculator just put it the UE diff ratio and the speed you want. The strobe will limit your spur choices but you can solve for the pinion.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_solver.html

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrusedc
    Use Brian's speed calculator just put it the UE diff ratio and the speed you want. The strobe will limit your spur choices but you can solve for the pinion.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_solver.html
    I forgot about the Brian's calculator! LOL I have used it probably ten times.

Here we go:

Differential Ratio: 1.31:1
    Transmission Ratio: 1.7222222222222223
    Additional Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 72
    Pinion Tooth Count: 11.7732
    Battery Voltage: 14.8
    Motor KV: 2200
    Tire Diameter (inches): 5.84
    Top Speed (MPH): 41

Eww I don't like that huge difference in the spur and pinion size. I think anything below a 14t pinion is just bad. Too little contact with the Spur. Did I put the UE diffs in right?

Looking good... too much FLM for my taste..lol... Really though looks like a bad ass machine... I'll get some new vid up of my CRT with it's badlands hopefully later next week, my batt tray from Mike at Rc-monster is due in Monday afternoon and I have a bit of soldering yet to do, but other than that I'm ready to go
    -Chris

I'm running a 51/20T spur/pinion combo with the strobe slipper on my gmaxx with UE 8 spyder diffs. This is the optimum gearing for me since I switch between running 5S and 6S.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Veteran
    What speed does that put you at Lito? I will not be running 5s for a long time. 4s for now. What is the biggest spur I can easily get for the Strobe? What do you suggest that I do?

The Strobe spur is 51 and I run a 20t pinion also, but with 5s.

With my 5S setup, BrianG's calculator had me at about 48 mph, 6S is calculated at about 57 mph.

I suggest you use the Ofna 51T spur with either a 19 or 20T pinion. It's the largest bolt-on spur you can use with the strobe.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Veteran
    Spot on guys!

Differential Ratio: 3.3076923076923075
    Spur Tooth Count: 51
    Pinion Tooth Count: 20.5429
    Top Speed (MPH): 40

Is everything right though?

Veteran
    And here is a RRP setup. Don't know what I was doing wrong before.

Differential Ratio: 3.3076923076923075
    Spur Tooth Count: 72
    Pinion Tooth Count: 29.0017
    Top Speed (MPH): 40

The only spur bigger that will fit the Strobe slipper is a custom modified spur. If you find some Dominator 2spd spur gears they can be modified pretty easy if you have a lathe.
    I have a 56 and a 60 that I modded, the first one is a standard 51 tooth delrin gear.

Puter locked up and double posted on me.

Veteran
    Nice could I just do that with a drill or dremel? Just drill the holes? Kenny did you see the pics and the video?

Veteran
    Hey kenny about the helicoil stuff, its not stripped right? Just the helicoil is stuck on the screw instead of in the hole. So I need the tools and a helicoil, And have neither so thats what you are for right?

Yes, if you want to buy the heli-coil kit you can put one in yourself pretty easy. I just offered to do it because most people don't want to spend the money for the kit, it's a very good investment in my opinion. I bought mine from Fastenal, it's a pretty nice kit.

Yeah I watched the video and that is kewl. I wasn't knocking the brushless trucks at all, I know they (flashlight's) have alot of power and can be very fast but the electric's just aren't my cup of tea.

I recently moved to the Darker side, 1/5 scale gas baja's and they are a total blast! You get 40-45 minutes run time on a tank of fuel, you get the fuel at the corner store for $2.30 a gallon, you don't have all the tuning hassles and they haul azz!!

Veteran
    Yes, if you want to buy the heli-coil kit you can put one in yourself pretty easy. I just offered to do it because most people don't want to spend the money for the kit, it's a very good investment in my opinion. I bought mine from Fastenal, it's a pretty nice kit.

Yeah I watched the video and that is kewl. I wasn't knocking the brushless trucks at all, I know they (flashlight's) have alot of power and can be very fast but the electric's just aren't my cup of tea.

I recently moved to the Darker side, 1/5 scale gas baja's and they are a total blast! You get 40-45 minutes run time on a tank of fuel, you get the fuel at the corner store for $2.30 a gallon, you don't have all the tuning hassles and they haul azz!!
    Yeah good someone said something about being stripped and I got confused. I didn't get time to send it to ya 2day. Work got in the way. I still want you to do it. I'll get it out Monday.

Yeah I I've been very interested in 1/5th scale stuff. But I don't have the initial money nor do I like the 2wd. When I'm older and on my own I'm sure they'll have a 4wd with the same pedigree as the Baja.

Veteran
    Where can find those spurs and what do they require?

Veteran
    Some guys were talking and wanted to know if any other 1/8th scale diffs would fit. More specially the Losi Smart diff, and some lame Savage diffs?(that last bit IDK why).

Veteran
    Kenny I didn't get off work in time to get it out. This week though for sure! What will it cost for that kinda of shipping insurance?

George, the 5T is two wheel drive also, HPI doesn't make a 1/5 scale 4wd yet but rumor has it they have a 4wd truck in the making.
    Opppps. My mistake.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Kcaz25, Shipping won't be but $6-$8 at the most.

Thread Information