Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mugen MBX6T

Mugen MBX6T

Time to get a thread started! Should be hitting dealers doors anytime next week. A few of the lucky ones got theirs before Memorial weekend
    Tom...

Got mine Friday I took a couple pics along the way of finishing it up.

Tom...

Veteran
    Looks good Tom, I think I am going to pick one up when it comes out, what engine would you reccomend?
    Drive a hybrid, I need your gas

The one that is in the pics is a great motor. Easy to tune, very reliable and lasts (a easy 7+ gallon motor).
    Tom...

Looks nice. I'll be getting one and convert it to brushless when I return from deployment in November.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

DACE 9mm hubs. They are within .0x of a mm identical to the oem hubs. As good as it gets. 7075, a flanged base and nut to really hold that wheel in place, and the good old o-ring to ensure that pin doesn't come out. Solid!

Been running these type of hubs for mannny years. I have never worn a set out, damaged one or have a wheel nut come loose and have a wheel go bouncing down the track.

Tom...

Veteran
    Im still stuck in between engines, anyone have any opinion on what I should get. Something reasonable is what I am looking for not sure if I need a .21 or .28 or something in between. Anyone who ran a mbx5t or comparable truggy should know to help me out. I mostly bash but I plan on hitting up a couple races and I know the .28's dont have the fuel economy but they do have the power. Right now I have a .26 big block supermaxx, I would like something with comparable power. I believe the centre diff's help a lot for quickness off the line but they lack the top end of a supermaxx from what I understand?

Administrator

Brushless.

Quote Originally Posted by cmckella
    Im still stuck in between engines, anyone have any opinion on what I should get. Something reasonable is what I am looking for not sure if I need a .21 or .28 or something in between. Anyone who ran a mbx5t or comparable truggy should know to help me out. I mostly bash but I plan on hitting up a couple races and I know the .28's dont have the fuel economy but they do have the power. Right now I have a .26 big block supermaxx, I would like something with comparable power. I believe the centre diff's help a lot for quickness off the line but they lack the top end of a supermaxx from what I understand?
    GO BRUSHLESS ELECTRIC. IT'S CLEAN, QUIET, AND THE POWER LEVEL IS UNLIMITED WITH THE CHOICES THAT ARE NOW AVAILABLE.

Nice looking rig by the way. Plus the shop in the pics looks very well setup and thought out.

Tom,
    lookin good as always..... also looking forward to hearing the main differences you are seeing over the MBX5T..
    Ouch, I've been hit in the wallet!!!!
    It's not fatal, just hurts like ______..

There is no comparison! A totally different animal. It STEERS. No matter what and under any amount of power mine goes where the front wheels say to go. Acceleration is silly, stability in anything is silly, etc, etc

First club race out of the way.

Qual'd 4th finished 2nd. Richard Saxton was third. For the first time ever I was able to hang with peeps I normally don't get near.

Truck is DIALED in every single aspect. No comparison whatsoever to the MBX5T.

Here is my set-up from Saturday. 31-33 second lap sized track. HARD asphault like surface (well packed, rocks sticking out, typical desert like atmosphere). Sharp edges/bumps. Lots of traction, etc.
    Tom...

Veteran
    What do you guys think of this engine

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Buggy-Engine

The reviews are wishy washy, some claim long motor life some claim 3 gallons or so, then bearing failures and worn P/S

or

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Standard-Plug)

Im guessing the novarossi will be lacking serious top end being a 3 port ?

I have look at all the engines on amain like 5 times each and cant decide still!

Veteran
    Also what starter box would you guys reccomend, something like this?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Starter-Box

Chris I'd reccommend brushless
    -Chris

On the two motors I would certainly go with the econo NR motor for what you intend on using it for. It will most certainly live longer, if used correctly, and the price is right for the bashing world.

If you want to spend the money I still wouldn't reccommend the VSpec. I would go with a OS Speed or the JX B01A (The JX is my choice but both fine powerplants). Both made by OS and both are world class motors. They will both also last mucho longer gallon wise due to them both having DLC coated cranks. The part/area on a VSpec that wears out way too quickly on a standard issue VSpec imo. (I have owned 4 or 5 of them so know first hand.)

If you want to spend money towards a NR powerhouse the NR 21-4 would certainly be it.

Regardless you need the correct exhaust system for your selection. Not what you have laying around. What the specific manufacture reccommends. Not a area to cut short and must be considered as part of the cost of "X" powerplant considerations.

Get the Mugen starter box. A couple bucks more but if you are running a Mugen truck run a Mugen starter box!!!
    Tom...

www.dewintersign.com Devilmanak's Avatar
    I think that OS has a "Mod" version Vspec now that has the coated crank, for a little more than a JX.
    They built these silly trucks LIGHT, I have to take my option parts off now and put the heavy ones back on to gain a quarter pound to be legal.
    140.2 oz with all option stuff but steel front turnbuckles. Crap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing
    Anchorage House of Hobbies

Tom, how much heavier are the rear alum uprights, did you weigh them?
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing

Truck looks good!

I didn't but whatever they weigh they are worth it over plastic IMO for that area of the truck. I am pondering ordering aluminum towers for mine. I don't need them strength wise but do need the weight (though the towers imo are not the optional area to add weight). I put on a old set of Holeshots the other day and weighed it... 8lb 13.2 ounces. I would need to add 3 ounces somewhere to be legal with that set of tires on. I also heard the new PL tires coming out are even lighter yet so one could potentially need to add quite a bit of dead weight somewhere to be legal.
    Tom...

Veteran
    I'm excited to get my Mugen MBX6T, ordered it, starter box, engine, pipe, charger and battery last week. Truck should be here by Wednesday, everything else a week or so later. So I have a bit of time to build it up

Wow. I have yet to see Tom talk about a product without the word "dialed" attached, so I take his reviews with a grain of salt.
    But in this case: DIALED!!! Lol.
    The truck does drive just like the buggy. On power, off power steering is crazy, it jumps, goes, stops, everything is just really good. I broke the track record first heat out.
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing

I ran the same set-up I posted back on the first at another track in Nevada Saturday night. More loam and not as rough. A much nicer environment for tires and chassis compared to the tracks in Vegas. For our dirt in this state that set-up is perfect. Nothing to change between the two tracks other than I put in a Mugen clutch over the UE clutch that I have been using since they were created. Netted myself 25 bucks, a trophy and a gallon of fuel for winning the truggy class. Had TQ also
    Tom...

So I guess the MBX6T we ordered for ya Chris is up for grabs? LOL, guess I'll have to take it then! Twist my rubber arm.

I know wolf gave ya some wicked mill choices, but as far as fuel economy on the Picco P3 of mine is descent. Better than what I was told to expect. Throttle control is a definite skill required to really hook up with that motor as it will wheelie easily.

You guys are killin' me with this thread!
    I was set on experimenting with a Baja 5B, but now I'm not so sure...
    That's a sweet looking build Tom!!!
    Taxing a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket trying to lift yourself by the handle

It is hard to pass up on any motor that has a DLC coated crank and runs consistently. They certainly cost more but the life expectancy out of one is a tremendous advantage and very cost effective to the user. (ie; Mugen JX B01 or B01A (updated version of the JX) motors & OS Speed. (Both made by OS.) I am still running my original JX B01 w/head lightened like the B01A and the a 7mm restrictor like what comes oem in the updated version B01A. I ran it for well over 7 gallons and had zero wear visually or measured on the crank pin. So I re-built it with a new P/S/R, bearings and coming up on 7 gallons on it again. Still a ticking like a charm. Great motor that holds a tune and lasts!!! I have had a new B01A in my box for the last 4-5 months now waiting to be used but I have yet to need it so it sits and waits for its day
    Tom...

true. i am on my second sets of p/s in both cars, cranks are like new even though both motors are very tired, ordered two new engines today, even though the old ones still get "what engines are those chris?" every time i run them. one handed typing sux, lol.
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing

Good lookin' rig Tom. What lipo pack is that? I am running the Balistic pack in my STRR now, Have they come up with the proper fit for the Mugen? I like the doubled servo horn on steering. I am pretty talented at bending them. LOL. Did you drill out the thread on the top one or is it just flipped? What screw? What is the access like for the front lower hingepin? I always had a biotch of a time getting at the lock nut for fast diff maintenance.

It's time to retire my RR and contemplating...hmmmm

Veteran
    Its here

Quote Originally Posted by 'Cause I Can
    Good lookin' rig Tom. What lipo pack is that? I am running the Balistic pack in my STRR now, Have they come up with the proper fit for the Mugen? I like the doubled servo horn on steering. I am pretty talented at bending them. LOL. Did you drill out the thread on the top one or is it just flipped? What screw? What is the access like for the front lower hingepin? I always had a biotch of a time getting at the lock nut for fast diff maintenance.

It's time to retire my RR and contemplating...hmmmm
    I had this pack before Pat came out with packs for the MBX6 series of cars (Pat recently posted he has packs on the Grid just not on his store front yet.). IP2200 or something like that. (I am at work right now) You should be able to do a search by that name on eBay and find them. 40 something for two of them shipped. Good so far. I have a pair of them and haven't had the need to use the second one yet at the track in a day. The ballance lead on them is also the correct lead to charge them on the Ballistic LiPo ballance charger.

I have ran double steering horns for ages now. Back when the CRT first came out. I bent one so figured I would never do it again. lol (I run my servo saver about twice as tight as most and never worry about anything with the double horns and 5955 servos) Just flip the second one. I use a screw from a linkage kit, 2mm screw maybe, to screw both of them together in the center and a 2.6mm, I think it is, for the SHCS that holds the arm to the servo. Then I tap the ends of both of them, once screwed together in the center and on the servo, with a 3mm tap for the button head screw that connects the linkage from the horn to the servo saver. Wayne, IMAXX, knows where to get those screws. I got some from him years ago.

When I clean the car and do a full up maintenance job I just pull the whole front/rear end. I hate accessing the diffs either the front or the rear with half the case on the car. I find it just easier to pull the whole thing and go over everything. That nut on the front is a pita when you get into the front with half the case still attached to the chassis. When I do do that I use angled surgical clamps to hold the nut when starting the pin threading into it. Once started I remove the clamp and use a open end wrench for the rest. I have also seen some take a hobby knife and stab the edge of the nylon on the nylon locknut to hold it in place while starting the pin into it (Old man Tillman works the front end that way).
    Tom...

Wooooooooooooo--looking good Tom! I need to get me one of those

Already got the X6 and love it---
    The Largest State in the USA---
    Alaska = 650,000+ Sq. Miles

Veteran
    Done!!!!!!!

Sweet.

Something not right with that upper Pillow Ball retainer though.
    Tom...

Expect the front center CVD bootie to come off after 2-3 tanks... Everyone is experiencing that one. I tried a little bit of everything including using lockwire. CA is the only thing to keep it on so far for me. A bead of CA around the bootie where it meets the joint cup.
    Tom...

Those are really nice rigs guys. That is really sweet about you finishing in front of Saxton Tom. I bet that was a night you will remember for a while.

Is their going to be a Prospec Edition like the 5T ?
    Ouch, I've been hit in the wallet!!!!
    It's not fatal, just hurts like ______..

Veteran
    Hey tom not to change the subject or anything with all the recent advancements of brushless/lipo technology. I was wondering if you have experimented with brushless or thought of trying it out. I know you are a nitro guy, so am I but I was just wondering.I have heard alot of guys are switching over. I know top speed isnt everything especially on a track but being able to do 60-80+mph with a revo is pretty impressive to say the least. Allthough it might be to much and overpower the tracks. Instant throttle response and extended runtimes with lipo batteries without pitstops seem like a win win to me not to mention cleaner air and car. Put it together with that MBX-6t and look out! I am just now going to try brushless out and as long as nothing frys I am sure I will be happy.

I pondered it. I have my 5T still sitting here that I haven't sold yet so it would be a perfect candidate for a around the house toy. Quiet and fun. But I just run one class to keep costs down. Building a big LiPo toy would be spendy initially and I really don't want to spend the $. I don't have a charger to handle batteries like that, then I would need a power supply to handle that charger, etc, etc. For a house toy it would add up silly fast. More or less the cost of a new kit by the time I got done with everything to make it go.

I watched them on the track at the Silver State Nitro Challenge earlier this year. Just absolutely insane acceleration. What a house toy!
    Tom...

Veteran
    I just bought 2 zippy 3s 5000mah 30c and a basic 6s charger for~ $186 shipped. Now I have too spend another $250 for the mmm combo. I guess it cac get a little spendy.

$250 for the MMM is priced about the same as a good nitro motor.... and $186 for batts and a charger that will last 250+ charges... well thats only 4.5 gallons of nitro...sooo... seems less spendy in the long run to me
    -Chris

But it would only be a house toy for me. Still racing NITRO
    Tom...

Veteran
    Ran my MBX6T a few times already. On break in, I had an interesting time but we wont get into that.

I need a new radio, this JR XS3 is really really sketchy

Took it to the somewhat local track here, and it drew a crowd, it was pretty funny- sort of like bringing the supermaxx all over again. People were drooling over it LOL. I need a DSM radio before I can hit up the track. I ran this at my friends gravel pit and the power is unreal, the center diff soooo nice , I can climb almost any hill, the pan chassis likes to skip across everything so you dont slow down. I must say the handling is unreal, never seen anything like it before. Just my update

Thread Information