Thread: lower belt rubbing stock belt guard on a stock bike

cajunvrod

lower belt rubbing stock belt guard on a stock bike

I don't have the UE tank installed yet, but I found my lower belt guard was rubbing and the plastic part had actually worn through. I took the belt guard off and bent to outward to get a little more clearance. I took off the plastic piece off and throw it in the trash bin. Looking forward to installing new tank when I can afford one christmas drained my budget.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    So...this is a stock bike? No UE tank?

I've found that the belt is a real wandering beast. Part of the problem is that it's not captured on the front pulley.
    Another issue is aftermarket aluminum pulleys wear. IMHO alu is the wrong material for a belt pulley.

But, even with a steel front pulley the rear will wear and cause wandering belts.

Check your mounting points, make sure everything is tight and right before moving on to aftermarket items. If you are still under warranty get a dealer involved in the problem.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

cajunvrod
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY, yes the bike is stock 03 v rod. I do have an extended warranty. I did not think of using the coverage, my mistake. I bought a new chrome belt guard and have not installed the new belt cover yet. I just wanted to ask about this before getting the new tank. I'll probably order the new trick tank next month. I did check out everything and did not find anything out of order.

cajunvrod

back again with same problem

My vrod UE tank side bracket is worn through by the belt rubbing. I need to replace the part hoping I can get a replacement part through UE engineering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    Yes, you can get a replacement part, no problem.

Of bigger issue is why you are rubbing the side guard. You've got some sort of issue that's causing the belt to track incorrectly.
    If I had to guess, not having seen anything, I'd guess you have the rear wheel spacers incorrectly installed and this is pushing the rear wheel way over. Just a guess.

Other possibilities
    broken motor mounts
    incorrectly installed swingarm spacers

do you have custom wheels?
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Thread Information