Thread: Ready to Start - Muffler Question

Feeding the Addiction

Ready to Start - Muffler Question

I received my tank last week and will start the install after Christmas. The tank will be going into an 05 SE. As I scope out the work one of the the first steps in the instructions is to remove the rear shocks. When I look at the right rear shock it looks like the mufflers need to be removed to get to the bottom bolt. Is this the case?

Thanks, Mark

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M
    ...As I scope out the work one of the the first steps in the instructions is to remove the rear shocks. When I look at the right rear shock it looks like the mufflers need to be removed to get to the bottom bolt. Is this the case? ...
    You can remove the lower left shock bolt with the muffler in place if you remove the upper bolts first and lower the swingarm so the bolt is below the muffler but it's a lot easier if you remove the muffler. The wheel and swingarm are coming off also so why fight having to work around the mufflers?

Feeding the Addiction
    Thanks this is helpful. I was just wondering how complete the instructions were. Muffler removal is not mentioned. If I need to do these types of things it would be good to have them in the instructions. I guess the seat and fender and other parts also need to come off.

Feeding the Addiction
    I didn't want to remove the mufflers on my '06 A model either, so I left them on. Working around them was no big deal. If I did another install, I wouldn't pull them either.
    Jim

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M
    Thanks this is helpful. I was just wondering how complete the instructions were. Muffler removal is not mentioned. If I need to do these types of things it would be good to have them in the instructions. I guess the seat and fender and other parts also need to come off.
    You should have the HD Service Manual and follow the procedure for removing the fuel tank as well as using the instructions for the installation of the UE tank. The rider seat doesn't have to come off but it's not that difficult to remove and I wouldn't want it opened up and in the way during the install. The fender and passenger pillion do need to be removed because the inner saddlebag supports (HD calls them rear fender supports but these are really just for mounting saddlebag hardware) need to come out so they can be countersunk if you don't have a right angle drill.

There are probably a number of things that could be left in place and worked around but I don't think it saves much time leaving the mufflers on. A little WD-40 sprayed on the pipe joints and they slide right off. If you do leave them on be sure to wrap them up so they don't get damaged.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I never take the muffler off and have had so many tanks in and out so many times it's ridiculous.

Take off the left side shock, remove the upper bolt from the right shock. Now prop something under the rear tire to hold it up so the rear suspension is compressed (a hammer head or 2x4 works well.) You will now have easy access to the lower shock bolt and rear axle nut.

When you remove the swingarm axle you'll normally find that it hits the exhaust pipe. Remove the 4 bolts holding the muffler to the rear exhaust bracket and push the exhaust down. You should be able to flex it enough that you can pass the swingarm axle out.

The rider's seat doesn't 'have' to come off, but it's a lot easier if you do and it's so easy to take off I can't imagine why you wouldn't.

I have a angle drill so I don't take the rear fender and fender supports off. You can easily countersink the support brackets in place with an angle drill. Makes the job easier and saves about an hour of R&I. If you don't have one, they are under $50 on fleabay and places like Home Depot and Lowes rent them as well.

I think you'll find all this in our instructions along with a lot more.

FYI: I can do the complete install in about 2 hours, the last one that included training a new dealer on the task. If you familiarize yourself with the instructions ahead of time and follow the step by step it goes very quickly. Where I find people run into problems is when they don't read & follow the instructions. Most of us men folks are guilty of only hitting the instructions when we run into problems (I'm just as guilty of this as the rest.) It will make the install take longer.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction
    Thanks everyone this is a big help. Now... where did I put my angle drill..?

Feeding the Addiction
    Sorry guys but I started the project tonight and it looks like the swingarm bolt will not clear the mufflers. My Clymer manual also has muffler removal as step 2. Not sure how you other did it unless you had non-stock mufflers.

Mark

Feeding the Addiction
    Saw this from Robin

To get the RH lower shock bolt off is easy. Take the left shock off and the right upper bolt off, then lift the swingarm. Easy access. It's the easiest way to adjust the belt when you have the cosmetic covers that attach at the shock bolt too.

As to getting the pivot bolt out, it's normally not necessary to completely remove the exhaust, just remove the bolts at the rear support bracket (4 bolts on the backside of the muffler) and push it down a little, the swing arm axle should just clear the pipes when you do.

Feeding the Addiction
    Stupid me I also forgot Robins post on Dec 17th. Sorry

Thread Information