Thread: Most durable buggy diff

Veteran

Most durable buggy diff

Guys, I need some help here. Im building a custom brushless MT that will use a buggy or truggy diff. Since you guys are full of experience in buggy and truggy world, I would be really glad if you can suggest the most durable buggy or truggy diff. I believe most of the buggy and truggy diffs are very durable. However since Im going to use brushless power plant, I need something that is proven to be bullet proof. I was looking at the st-rr diff since the pinion and rign gear are made from chrome molly which is supposed to be very hard. But then some says that they are not really durable. Hope you guys can shed some light.

Use the Ofna/UE 8-spider diffs, they are bomb-proof!

Veteran
    So no other buggy diffs is better than 8 spider? I was thinking that there must be more durable diff since UE chose 8 spider diff because it was the most durable diff at that time. By now I was thinking that there should be something better than this diff.

I don't think there is anything better.

Veteran
    The UE diff is actually an OFNA "Spyder" diff. It is still one of the best out there. Buggy diffs have not really evolved much like car diffs haven't evolved. They work well! I like the UE diffs because the metal/steel diff cup keeps the pins in place. I have used other diff cups for lighter applications and found them to warp or become destroyed. The LOsi cups will warp, or melt inside due to the high revolutions and heat build up. As a result Losi now makes a special metal insert for their pins to prevent the cups from warping but now they are plagued with crown gear failures. Not sure why???? The only area of weakness that i have found on the spyder diffs are sun gears (the biggest of all the gears inside the diff case). If you take a hit from the side the pressure will be sent straight through the cvd and end at this gear. The gear will shatter and send it's tiny little pieces to the smaller gears causing them to fail.

Spending my Kids Inheritance Bigdumredneck's Avatar
    Is there any Pro's & Cons of running UE 6-Spider vs UE 8-Spider gears? Or is the 8 spider just a cure all solution?

I currently have the 6-Spider gears and ive thought about upgrading to the 8.

Should I upgrade to a 8-Spider set-up? What ya think?

I think the 6-spiders are plenty strong, but the 8-spiders are even stronger because they have a 2-piece billet aluminum diff-cup, where the 6's have a molded 1-piece plastic diff cup...so it's really up to you. You can count on the 8's never breaking or flexing, but there is a slight chance the 6's cups might break or flex, but I have never heard of one doing so.

Veteran
    The Hot Bodies Lightning diffs are my favourites, seem to be much better build than my old UE 6 spyders.

I have heard good things about the Lightening diffs, but to me, the Ofna/UE 8-spiders are the best money can buy.

Just a side note; On the 8-spider cups, spider is spelled "SPIDER", so I call then 8-spiders!

Veteran
    Jack,

Keep your 6 spyder's. That is all I run in my truck with a big block and I have likely ran them 5-6 gallons in total and never had a problem. Save your money
    Drive a hybrid, I need your gas

Spending my Kids Inheritance Bigdumredneck's Avatar
    Ok guys, I value your opinions and I will just stick with what I already have.

Like the old saying goes, If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Mothman, after seeing a few vids of high powered brushless trucks, Im betting you need a pair of UE-8 Spider diffs. I still cant get over how much power those suckers generate!!!

After breaking your current diffs, get the Kyosho ST-RR diffs. They're made of chrome-moly and is very strong.
    Gmaxx
    VBS'ed Predator
    Supermaxx
    Revo 3.3
    Kyosho ST-RR
    Ofna CR1

Thread Information