Thread: Tired of Dead Batteries? How-To put 30% more battery in your '02-'06 V-Rod

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar

Tired of Dead Batteries? How-To put 30% more battery in your '02-'06 V-Rod

I have a terrible time keeping a battery alive in this bike. The best I've gotten out of one is 2 years and since I put the alarm in the last time I updated my tank. This last one is marked 4-23-07, it didn't even last a year. It was already getting sick this winter and the last couple weeks it's really gotten bad.
    I've checked the charging system out and it's within spec.

IMHO the original VR's charging system is undersized and the battery is way undersized. Add in all the accessories, the alarm and the dual WEGOs and short rides and the stock battery is way overstressed.

This time instead of replacing the same undersized battery I called Steve at V-Mod and asked if there was anything else. He let me know the YTX20 which has 310 CCA compared to the stocker's 210. Steve said he's put them in, but it required removing the overflow bottle. I figured why not...

Today I went to do some errends and the bike was deader than doo doo, all I got was clicking (had just ridden it 2 days ago and charged it over night 10 days ago.) Now was the time to try.

So I tore into it tonight.
    First I pulled the stock battery and compared the size. Obviously way too wide to fit and would require removing the overflow bottle.

Then I thought, what if I turned it 90deg. This looked much better.

So all I need to do is move the wires and all should work. Sure enough, once I'd gotten the bird's nest of wires out of the way it fit like a glove (lots of accessories and the WEGO wires are very long and are bundled up there.)

First I moved the ground strap.

And then started hooking things up. Needed to extend a couple of the ground wires for the accessories, but otherwise, fit perfect. If your bike is stock I doubt you'd need to do anything.

Got all the wires connected, airbox back on and all buttoned up. You may not be able to see it, but there's about 1/8" of gap between the front of the airbox and the batt and that part is very flexible.

And that's about it. Shown here complete and you'd never know it's got the Bigger battery in there.

Hopefully this will put the overstressed battery syndrome to rest. Give Steve at V-Mod a call and ask for the YTX20.

© 2008 Unlimited, Inc
    “That which doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger.” - Nietzsche

Is it good for that type of battery to sit like that?
    Learning is living

I think it'll be just fine, they are sealed. The stocker lays like that too, just rotated 90deg.

Hey Robin, I was thinking of pulling all the plastic Air filter housing off my VRSCR, But does that require a tuner? I have a PCIII, and a CFR but wasn't going to put them on until spring.

Mike
    UE BB SuperMaxx
    HB Lightning Stadium Pro
    http://teamtrenton.proboards67.com/

technically you should retune if you go topless, however I suspect it's not absolutely necessary unless you are wailing on it.

Thanks MM. I'll wait then, and throw in the K&N, CFR, PCIII, Amsoil Oil Filter, Amsoil Oil. all for the spring. Retune then as well.

Thanks for the tip..

Mike
    UE BB SuperMaxx
    HB Lightning Stadium Pro
    http://teamtrenton.proboards67.com/

Hey Robin. I'm going to bring up an old topic since my battery took a dump on me just in time for a planned ride that I couldn't attend. Have you noticed any problems/issues with the new battery and set-up? I know your riding has been interupted for a bit but did you notice anything while you were able to ride? And to where did you move the ground wire to?

NO, no problems whatsoever.

Bike was down for 2+mo (it has the stupid alarm too) and started right up.

Two years on this battery now and it's still going strong.

Thread Information