Thread: Fuel Tank Pressure

Feeding the Addiction

Fuel Tank Pressure

I have recently installed the Rev B tank in my stock 2003 V-Rod. After putting the first 130 miles on the tank and having the fuel guage on "E", I stopped to refill the tank. When I went to open the gas cap, it hissed, indicating significant back pressure in the tank. Is this normal? I don't recall the stock tank ever hissing when I opened the gas cap. The install was by the book.

Thanks,

Bulsi

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I'd say normal, mine has always done that. My '94 Toyota truck does it, as does the GF's 2003 Rav4, and a friend's '01 Ford F150. and....

I'd say it's pretty normal for modern sealed fuel systems to hiss a little when removing the cap...unless it's excessive. In which case I'd guess you pinched the vent line.

There's really nothing about the tank change that has any effect on inlet or outlet of fuel. All that is stock.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

My suggestion would be to check the vent in the cap. Did you change the cap? My 4 wheeled autos hiss but the bike never has. Remove the cap from the fuel flange and try to suck in and blow out through the cap. You should be able to suck air in but not be able to blow any out. If you cannot suck air in you're creating a vacuum and thus the noise you're hearing when you remove the cap.

Feeding the Addiction
    Thanks for the answers. I won't worry about it and enjoy the extra range between gas stops.

Bulsi

Feeding the Addiction
    Cali vehicles may have pressurized tanks but 49saters do not.
    ED

Thread Information