Thread: Belt rubing on new Strap

Feeding the Addiction

Belt rubing on new Strap

I finally got a chance to take the bike out for a run with the new tank and tank strap. The belt rubs against the new strap, so now what do I do? It doesn't rub constant but there is diff rub marks after my first 50 mile ride. And when it does rub it howls like hell.

Is there any possibilty that its related to belt tension? I'm wondering if my belt is too loose? Would that even be able to cause this?

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I've found my belt howls like hell when it's too tight. Makes clicking noises and is really obnoxious. Walks all over too.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction
    I think mine was too loose. I had at least 1/2 inch of play and it had been rubbing on both the top and bottom. I now have it set at 10 pounds at 7MM. It seems very tight but that falls into what the book calls for. your thoughts?

Don't know.

I installed the strap a week ago and got it too tight.
    I have a habit of killing the engine when coasting to a stop and the belt would make horrible noises. Sounded like it was stripping gears.
    I loosened it just a tiny bit and now it's quiet and behaving itself.

Where does it rub on yours?

Feeding the Addiction
    It was rubbing against the strap both on top and on the bottom. I will take it for a run tomorrow and see if its corrected with the tighting. I may be too tight now, but I really think I was way too loose before. Im hoping that was the cause.

I assert that the lack of tension played a major role in the belt rubbing issue in the first place for the other users. Everyone needs to make sure their belts a properly tensioned, not only for this tank but for the belt (loose belts will cause them to fail) and for their own safety---I wouldn't want to be on a bike where the belt splits and it wraps itself up in the rear wheel. May not be a problem for those with solid wheels, but what do you think is going to happen if the belt slides between a mag spoked wheel and gets caught on the brake caliper?

MAKE SURE YOUR BELT IS PROPERLY TIGHTENED!!!!

One thing I would check is to take a straightedge against the guard. It should come very close to the upright frame tube. Like if there's any gap it should be .010-.020" between the straightedge and the frame uprights. If you can verify that you will have verified that the belt would rub no matter what. If there's some big gap, something's not installed correctly.
    Note: at the top, there's a little 'flip out' guide, set your straightedge so it's just over the top of this.

I have had real problems with belts & pulleys all pre-tank days. The worst was when I was running an aluminum pulley. Within 3000 miles the pulley had severe wear, the belt would wander all over and make a lot of noise to boot.

Also the rear wheel adjusters are very sloppy on the right side where it engages the axle. There's a good 5° of rotation play in it when it's new, more if it's well used. This can cause the rear wheel to misstrack and you need to adjust it so the belt runs true. Back in the dirtbike days we'd call getting the chain running straight a part of setting it's tension. I think that in a lot of cases people skip this step entirely when tensioning the belt.

I think what you will find is that you have some wear or missalignment issue which is causing your problem and would cause it even if the bike was totally stock (belt would rub the frame hard.)

Also to note, if I get my tension off (which it was last week) the belt makes all kinds of noise and with the phat kit on my bike the belt is no where near the belt guard. All that noise came from the belt and front pulley and was due to too much tension.

Feeding the Addiction
    My pulleys are stock, other than I had it chromed. The singarm and rear wheel are stock as well. There are no rub marks on any part of the actual frame and now that I tightened it up there has been no further rubbing. I placed a piece of electrical tape over teh spots where it was rubbing in order to be able to tell if its still rubbing. The clearance I have is minimal however but I assume that the entire set up is designed this way to use all available space for fuel.

Feeding the Addiction
    I would check your belt and wheel alignment. I have plenty of room on my 02 both top and bottom. Never had a problem even before the new strap. I bought a HD belt tension tool to make sure its right. Found that on my bike the tension is best a little and I do mean little bit looser than the factory setting. Maybe 1to 2mm

Feeding the Addiction
    I went for a 150 mile run today (still have gas left (woooo Hoooo) and no rubbing....WOOOOOO HOOOOOO. It appears it was nothing more than the belt being too loose and slapping around.

Thread Information