Thread: New Belt Guard/Tank Strap

New Belt Guard/Tank Strap

I will start this thread by admitting something that I'm sure will be followed by a tongue lashing from Robin. Despite this situation I have continued to ride the bike. Granted I have been nervous and checking the belt/tank at nearly every stop, but I have continued to ride none-the-less. Before tonight I had slightly less than 2mm of gap between the belt and the tank.

NO MORE! say I. New bracket is installed and now the gap is about 6mm or 1/4". This is no band-aid, this is no temporary solution--at least not for me. No longer will I be sticking my fingertips beneath the lower belt guard to try to find some space. Even if the belt hits now it's not going to open a hole in the tank for fuel to spill.

All you Doubters can relax a little, this does work.

Feeding the Addiction
    I'm starting to feel like the Mervyns shopper waiting everyday for the new belt guard and tank strap to get here. It ain't natural for my bike to be sitting in the air for this long.

Let's see a Pic!

It was getting late and 3:30 was coming up too quickly. I'll have some for you guys when I get home.

Feeding the Addiction
    Thanks, glad too hear the good news,I'm waiting on mine too.I have my old tank back in for now very easy to reinstall and the weathers to nice to sit in the garage.

RC in my Blood
    Great news Eli, Thanks, I am eager to get mine and get it in as well!!!

Best I could get for now

This shot should show the space that has been created.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feeding the Addiction
    I wish I could be sure this was the final and not just a... I want to think it is but
    Last edited by Joseph; 05-18-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: second thoughts

Feeding the Addiction dpierce02's Avatar
    Robin

got the new bracket today. now just need to get time to install the REV A tank.

the reason for this post is you might want to package the bracket a little different for shipping. not sure what USPS does when it ships but i had 2 large holes in the box on the ends. luckily the bracket was not damaged.

i think i read some where else someone recieved it with a damaged box as well.

Dennis
    4 year cancer survior and counting. everyday is a great day

Feeding the Addiction
    I got mine Saterday and the box was smushed a bit and there was a small hole in the corner.It had 2 little green stickers on it that said;"Received in Damaged Condition" so I guess that's how USPS covers themselves from claims.The strap was not damaged.

Feeding the Addiction
    do we have any pics from the side, that show the plate installed??

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry273
    do we have any pics from the side, that show the plate installed??
    I posted a whole writeup in the clearance thread - in retrospect, it might've been better to start a new one.

Anyway, heres' one of the pics:

https://www.unlimitedengineering.com...achmentid=5079

Feeding the Addiction
    I received my new guard today and, having the bike stripped and ready for installation, I slipped it on over the new tank. It slid on real easy and did not compress the tank whatsoever. My tank still bulges out past the A-Frame cross member. I have not riveted it in place yet because of another problem that was not addressed in the install document.

When I first installed the tank the bracket bolts screwed in with absolutely no problem. The holes in the bracket lined up with the frame holes nicely.
    Now that I have removed the expanded tank this is no longer true. The tank needs to move forward at least 1/4 inch. Maybe a bit more.
    I have ball peened the heat shield and that helped somewhat (it originally was off by about 1/2 inch and now is off by 1/4". I have removed the saddle bag brackets entirely. I have a VRSCA so that takes care of notes 1,2,and 3 from the new guard install instructions. At this time the pipe bracket is not installed at all. The location of where the rivets are to be placed is flush to the cross member so this will not compress the tank.

Any suggestions before I continue tomorrow? Also my original measurements indicated a 2mm gap between belt and tank. Since the tank did not compress with the new guard, I now have a little less.

Maybe I am measuring in the wrong place and do not have a problem at all but I wonder????????

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    Again Rusty, the A-Frame member means nothing. The frame uprights are the controls and what makes contact with the belt and determines the plane necessary. If you have a wandering belt it will touch those frame uprights, no where close to the A-Frame tubes.

Not sure what you mean by 'ball peened'...

Do I understand you correctly that you have the tank in and strap bolted in place and the lower part where it rivets is flush with the lower A-Frame tube and the top is hooked in?
    If so, rivet it in place and put the bike back together. That should be right.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

RC in my Blood
    I had the same problem with the holes not lining up, took a dremel undid the welds put the tank guard in place, the old strap over the top...... perfect. Tightened down and riveted will not go anywhere. no way the belt or anything else for that matter is gonna hurt that side of the tank. I imagine there is just enough individual differance in how the tanks have expanded in their own straps that trying to fit a new one may be a bear. My solution worked very easily. Hope that helps. Gotta go get it all back together now.
    Wanna ride in the AM. Thanks Robin.

pic's to follow

Rusty check the pic's in my gallery on the other forum, more should follow tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by raebear
    I imagine there is just enough individual differance in how the tanks have expanded in their own straps that trying to fit a new one may be a bear.
    Exactly. I had a heck of a time putting the new bracket on, but it was not a real problem. Even though these are made in a brake, and therefore should be the same, parts I've seen at work can be off by a great deal (great deal meaning thousandths or even ten thousandths of a inch). Different placement in the dies, slight differences in material (it doesn't take much), and different operators (both speed and technique) all make very slight differences, not to mention the slight warp (heat draw) that is created by welding. We are dealing with two different runs of parts. These differences are not nearly enough to cause any problems, just enough to cause a little difficulty.

I just wanted to mention these things from a production point of view, I deal with it every day. Just because the strap doesn't slide back on without any work doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong. Make sure there is not, then bolt it in, finish assembly and enjoy the ride.

Feeding the Addiction
    If the tank and strap doesnt seem to go foreward enough make sure the engine to frame ground cable (lower rear of engine) isnt in the way. Just a small thing but makes a difference.

Feeding the Addiction

Fixed

Drilled the 1/2inch holes to 5/8 problem solved, still tight but fits, bike back togeather, gone riding. Ted

Feeding the Addiction
    I'm glad to hear all the good news about the new strap.I'm looking forward to reinstalling my tank with the new strap.I forgot hor aggrevating gas stops every day on the way to work were.I miss my UE tank!!

Feeding the Addiction
    Got my new guard yesterday. I have been wrestling with a problem in that I could not get the tank to push forward enough for the two guard bolts to fit into the frame holes.

Diagnosis found the horizontal cross member that houses the swing arm bolt is in the way and it is not about to be moved. I used several methods to determine this. Needless to say the tank has expanded in this area.
    I did everything possible to move the tank forward but came up 1/4" shy of the bolts fitting properly. I took the bull by the horns and elongated the bolt holes by 1/4" and was able to install the new guard per the instructions. The guard is snug and the tank is not being squeezed. The guard slid in easily (Except for that last 1/4") the new plate was level with the A-frame cross members and the rivet holes lined up properly with the A-frame cross member. I chose to use self tapping screws instead of the rivets for obvious reasons.

I can now easily slide 4 credit cards (A very generous 1/8" clearance) between the belt and the horizontal and vertical cross members. When the problem first surfaced it was only 2 credit cards. Perhaps I was initially measuring in the wrong spot since the tank seems to be in the same place.

I did not add the spacers to the pipe bracket lugs as it made no difference. The tank would not move left to right at all.

I had to trim the lower belt guard to get it past the new guard.

Gave it a short test ride with no problems. Will test on long ride tomorrow.

Alls well that ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyg
    I did not add the spacers to the pipe bracket lugs as it made no difference. The tank would not move left to right at all.
    The tank is not steel, it will flex to fill a gap (as you've found out) I'd space the exhaust bracket as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyg
    I had to trim the lower belt guard to get it past the new guard.

Should have mentioned that I had to do the same. A Lot of people are not running the lower belt guard so it won't be a problem. It's not really a problem if you are either. You don't have to take off much.

Feeding the Addiction

Riding at last

Back from riding, 100+ mile with some speeds over 120mph gaurd in place, no problems Life is good. Thanks

RC in my Blood
    No problems installing new belt guard/tank strap on 2002 VRSCA with stock tire size. Only problems were the packing (not enough paper padding and sealing tape: the strap was poking out of the box) and that USPS took 7 days to ship from SC to MD:

USPS Track & Confirm Results:
    Delivered, May 22, 2007, 1:37 pm, GAITHERSBURG, MD 20878
    Arrival at Unit, May 22, 2007, 5:07 am, GAITHERSBURG, MD 20878
    Enroute, May 21, 2007, 11:08 am, CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD 20790
    Enroute, May 18, 2007, 4:44 am, CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD 20790
    Enroute, May 16, 2007, 1:34 pm, GREENSBORO, NC 27495
    Acceptance, May 15, 2007, 5:28 pm, SIMPSONVILLE, SC 29681
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, May 15, 2007

The Token Chick
    Got mine in today with a bit of help (THANK YOU ROBIN!!!) You can't even really see it! I concur with the fact that the belt will hit the frame before it hits the tank now. All in all, it looks great!

Robin, I went to the local ACE hardwear and they had the exact bolts I needed for the front fork!!! Even in chrome! And yes, I used the Loc-tite!

Feeding the Addiction
    Recieved mine today,now just need a couple of hours to reinstall tank and new strap.Thanks Robin

Feeding the Addiction
    Robin;
    Just want to get my two cents in on this conversation.
    Just like the tank itself, I have one thing to say about the new bracket. GREAT JOB!
    Took the bike apart Sunday in prep for the arrival of the tank which got here a day sooner than I expected on Monday.
    Put it back together with no problems at all (I do read instructions which helps a lot). Took it for a ride Wednesday to check everything out ( I used Tuesday to clean everything good while it was up on the lift) and loaded it in the trailer Last nite for the trip down to Deals Gap for a week. Now I got to get out of this office. Thanks Robin. Your the Man!!

Feeding the Addiction
    Got my strap today! Suppost to rain all weekend so I'll have PLENTY of time to install. Thanks Robin! Would you like the old strap back? It would be the least I could do after all that you have done.

Feeding the Addiction
    You should use USPS, faster and a million times better UPS. UPS service is about like their Nascar deal---0.
    Ken Fleenor/ Sneak

Feeding the Addiction
    I finally had a chance to do install my guard today. As is always the way the world works, my guard arrived the middle of last week, while I was out of town.

Installation took ~3 hours or so, which included cleaning the swingarm and the rear wheel, and running out to the hardware store for 3/16" in rivets as they didn't seem to be anywhere in the box. I'm getting really good at pulling the rear wheel and swingarm in a hurry. 2 MC lifts makes it really easy to pull the wheel.

These 4 photos show the clearance I had before the guard. At the closest point it was somewhere between 1 and 2 MM. There was a very very faint mark on the tank where it looks like the belt barely brushed it, and a 'polished' area (see the 4th photo) where my lower belt guard had buffed some of the crinkle finish on the tank.

Feeding the Addiction
    My old strap came out fairly easily, but not as easily as it went in, which indicates that the tank has grown a bit.

The new strap did require a little work to get the bolts to go in, but nothing massive. I did verify that the tank is sitting as far forward as it can possibly go.

With the new guard in place, I easily have 4mm more more clearance at all points between the belt and the new guard. Also, my HD chrome slotted lower belt guard no longer rubs--there's a small gap between the belt guard and the new guard.

Took the bike for a ride, stopped and got gas (4.3 gallons with 151 miles on the trip odometer), and rode back home. Checked everything, clearances were still good everwhere. I put a little black touch-up paint on the rivet heads to keep them from standing out so much.

One tip I'd like to share with everyone that does a lot of removal/installation of fasteners on a bike. If you haven't tried it, Loctite makes the blue stuff in a stick version (kind of like chap-stick). It's really easy to apply (just roll the bolt threads in it, and WAY less messy than the liquid version:

Blue Threadlocker Stick

Robin--thanks for designing both the tank and the guard. I have a 1200 mile 'lap of Michigan' coming up at the end of June, and look forward to not worrying about gas at 110 miles.

If anyone in the central Ohio area needs help with either tank or guard installation, give me a shout.

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak
    You should use USPS, faster and a million times better UPS. ...
    Ken Fleenor/ Sneak
    I've had good and bad service from both carriers. See post #23 for recent USPS performance.

Feeding the Addiction
    New strap is in. Not so stressed about riding and rubbing any more. Took about 3 hours but I'm slow and triple check everything. New strap didn't go in as easy as the original. (tank swelling) Super stoked to have this thing finished and put to rest. Absolutely love going 150+ miles before worrying about stopping for gas.
    Thanks for everything guys.

Feeding the Addiction
    Installed the new strap; all I had to do was enlarge the bolt holes a little. I don't think the tank expanded any in the fore-aft direction just that the new strap might be slightly different in the bends. I state this because my old strap could be easily reinstalled, and as soon as the strap was removed I installed the new one. Just might be a production/tooling difference between each batch of straps... Not unheard of.

All said, no problems and no worries. I will be sending my old strap back as requested and thanks again Robin!
    Bruce Helland

Feeding the Addiction
    I recieved new belt guard/tank strap today and sent the old tank strap back via Aust.Post. Now for the install tomrrow.
    Thanks Robin.

Driving past gas stations!
    Finally had time to install my new strap, I have been dying to ride my bike instead of my wife's! The tank had expanded to the point of causing some trouble with installing the bolts. I used a tie-down to compress the strap to the tank and allowed me to align the holes, worked wonderfully. The belt is close to the guard but I don't anticipate any rubbing because it is the same distance as it was to the tank and had no rubbing then. I did not installl the rivet yet because my drill bit wasn't digging into the frame like it should so I am going to have to get a better bit, that might add a slight bit more of room between the belt and the guard. I did have to notch it because I forgot to tell them I had a D, but it took about a minute with a dremel to make the notch. Riding today!

Feeding the Addiction
    INstalling my new strap as well, and Did the same as Jpraire, I used tie down strap to compress the bracket to line up with holes, my old strap came out no problem, but the new strap was off by about alittle less then 1/4 of inch, did not want to reem out the hole! But repainted the strap bolts black and painted the rivets will reassembly tonight.. Also before Disassembly, got 149 miles on 4.5 gallons, the last 15 miles the fuel gauege was pegged on E.. Still really impressed with UE.. great service and great company, thanks Robin!

Thread Information