Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: tank and belt clearance

Feeding the Addiction
    Please don't jump on this ignorant A**Hole but has anyone thought about applying a little heat to tha area closest to the belt and producing a concave dent along where the belt could contact the tank?

Kinda like the picture below. I'm not talking about a large dent, maybe a couple of mm at most.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyg
    Please don't jump on this ignorant A**Hole but has anyone thought about applying a little heat to tha area closest to the belt and producing a concave dent along where the belt could contact the tank?
    Rusty - it would have to be more than just a narrow groove - the belt moves up and down with the swingarm... plus you would need indents for the top and the bottom of the belt, plus different people have different lengthe shock, not to mention preload, weight, riding 2-up....

You'd wind up having to indent a good part of the left side of the tank. Plus, I would not be comfortable heating up the tank to re-shape it - I'd be too worried abpout affecting the structural integrity.

Feeding the Addiction
    No Concave, will not work. I ran my Night Rod on the Dino to day, with Robins tank installed and with out the belt guard, the belt flexes to much, The top strand barley flexes, the bottom strand flexes up and down, unbelievable. Robin will have the best solution possible. Have faith

Quote Originally Posted by PULL CORD
    I agree Rodman. If it does go between the frame and tank on the bottom portion where the two holes are, then it might work. (not outside the frame) (unless the holes are for screws/rivits that will have the bracket pulled into the frame thus pushing the tank in) This would allow the tank to be pushed away from the belt a bit. Just don't know if it will be enough to compensate for the thickness of the metal. I'm wondering if we just put some sort of a "bar" shim between the frame and the tank down on the corner where the frame doubles back on itself. Something with some smoothed out rounded edges could be slid in there. Oh well, enough speculation. Thanks for posting an early "prototype" picture Robin. Hopefully some of these discussions help you with your final design.

Well I dropped the bike off at a independent shop on my way to work this AM. I just cant wait until the weekend to try something . They will loosen the bracket and shim the tank if possible. BaldHarleyDude did this earlier with a piece of 7/16th tubing. There does seem to be a little room on the Exhaust side of the tank so this might net a bit of clearance. He got something like 2.5 or 3 mm.

If they have time to complete the work and there is a result I will share it here.

Feeding the Addiction
    I'll probably do some shimmin' myself. Will be gone for the next 5 days. I'll check back in when I return.

Just visited the shop. The exhaust bracket was moved over by adding a few washers - can't move it very far without finding longer bolts.

A piece of 1/4 inch or so thick rubber was wedged between the frame and the tank.

The Tech says that although it forces the tank over, it is also deforming the side of the tank and and pushing it in. This indicates to me that any bulge can easily be dealt with... He recommends not using too much shim because you don't want to damage the tank.

Outcome?

Lot's of clearance! Could get my finger between the belt and the tank. I actually can't imagine that the belt will come into contact with the tank at all.

The tech also thought that my bike was safe to begin with. He works on all makes of bikes so has seen plenty of examples of chains etc running next to plastic parts.

So I'm not to worried about this whole issue anymore. Happy with the shim solution. Back to happy thoughts!

Feeding the Addiction
    well just for a lil update, i took the lower belt guard off and i'm at about 2.5mm on the lower belt section, and that is with the belt as far inward as it can go on the big pulley, my previous meaurement must have been off due the the belt riding on the outer edge of the bigger pulley before and i just didn't notice it. That new piece will be perfect, can't wait for them to get shipped out

Feeding the Addiction
    Just placed my order. Will reserve opinion on whether this is an acceptable fix untill I install it. Robin, you have done a great job on this project but maybe you pushed the envelope a little to far in this area. Without knowing tolerance stackups allowed in production it would have seemed to me better to err on the side of safety in this area.

Feeding the Addiction
    Anyone have any idea when this latest fix will ship?

Quote Originally Posted by ellundo
    ....maybe you pushed the envelope a little to far in this area....
    Seems other after-market tank manufacturer's customers are having problems with the belt rubbing as well, and also having problems with fitment to the rear wheel. It's the cost of trying to shoehorn 5 gallons were 3.7 were suppose to be. This really is not an uncommon phenomenon, dealing with after-market parts designed around a model or three and then put into service for hundreds or thousands of different units---all with slight variations. Unlimited Engineering is going out of their way to make this right, to ensure that we all have a safe and effective product for years to come. Countless times I have heard of companies that don't care once they have your money.

If you don't push you'd end up spending $1500 for a four gallon tank.

Feeding the Addiction
    Went through the order process for the updated bracket yesterday and all went smoothly. HOWEVER, previous posts regarding the order process implied there were three questions that needed answering. I encountered none and was just wondering if I did something wrong or not? I did go postal on the shippping process and total "bill" came to $10.01.

Thanks Robin.

Natural vs plastic tank surgury

Went to my local dealer yesterday to get a part and saw a stock 2002 V-Rod in the parking lot. She was a natural beauty, no aftermarket plastic surgery and crucially, she hadn't gone under the knife for an artificial tank enhancement, unlike so many of our own show bikes...

So it felt a little weird and dirty But I needed to know if this completely natural fit was the same as my own, much loved, but overflowing honey.

A quick glance left and right to make sure that no one was looking, I duck past her guard, slipped my finger under her belt and felt the space in her undercarriage.

Same as mine, absolutely the same.

So I'm satisfied that my Tricktank is now safely seated and that the plastic surgery with it's enhanced enjoyment for long rides... was very much worth it...

Wink Natural vs plastic tank surgury

Feeding the Addiction
    Somewhere towards the end of checking out I think there was a comments box, I typed the info Robin needed in there.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    Fitment on Bill's bike went well. Seems like this solution will work well.
    A couple things I notice.

The belt can and does walk a good mm or more off the pulley. I think we can all agree this is a bad thing for belts and pulleys - anyone that knows anything about belts and tracking should agree. Iv'e always thought it silly that HD doesn't have an inner ring on the pulley. From one I'm told the VR is the first belt drive like this, all the others have rings inner and outter to keep the belt on the pulley. It seemed a simple thing so I've added a little guide to the guard to keep the belt from wandering off the pulley.

Otherwise the fit was good. I thought it looked natural. Whatever else can be said, I'm real sure the belt can't rub on the tank now.
    I did a couple tweaks, shifted to 16ga and tougher material and shipped off the files, confirmed they had them and had a few days away from here.
    Sadly I was not able to completely leave the stress behind, but still had a pretty good time. Guess I'll have a good excuse to go on another one once we've put this to bed.

I'll know tomorrow how much progress was made...

ps: pic shows belt pushed as far over as possible (put a little side pressure on the belt while rolling the wheel), hitting frame and guard at the same time. New version is a few thou thinner (16ga vs 14ga) and the 'belt guide' I added will keep the belt on the pulley (another mm)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction

Fuel Tank clearance

I just pulled my swing arm getting ready for the gaurd, and looked at the clearance around the tank and frame, it seems like you can install the tank with any extra clearance pushed against the exhaust bracket. If you shim this bracket out, do you think it would be wise to also place a washer under the strap/gaurd attachment on the rightside of frame only to help hold every thing as far right as possible. Just a thought? Ted

Feeding the Addiction
    Does anybody know if the narrow belt front sprocket has a ring to hold the belt on? It makes no sense to me that they woudln't have the ring on all of them. This looks like a pretty good fix but does anyone know if switching to a narrow belt setup is possible with the stock rear wheel? I haven't been able to find much about that possibility. I did email V-mod with that question so we'll see what Steve has to say.

Feeding the Addiction
    I work for a major truck manufacturer,after spending billions on research and developement,the employees on the floor resolve ,the many problems that arise after production.Thanks Robin for a great product,and for helping when problems may arise.All companies could learn alot from you.

Feeding the Addiction

The web site will not let me order

Hey Robin,

Please ship the new fix to EMF 17165 Depot St.
    Morgan Hill Ca 95037 408-776-7526
    Att; Mark Madson

Thank you!
    Greg Helstrup
    a.k.a
    MAD ROD

RC in my Blood
    I shimmed the exhaust bracket, and tank on the belt side, roughly 5mm now.

Feeding the Addiction
    Ok Robin checked clearance yesterday after a day of riding and the belt clearance has gone from 2mm down to zero, I guess its from the tank expanding, live in AZ. So I'm down till I get the fix in. Hows it going on that anyway haven't heard/ read anything lately. Order # SO70753.

Quote Originally Posted by Renchie
    Ok Robin checked clearance yesterday after a day of riding and the belt clearance has gone from 2mm down to zero, I guess its from the tank expanding, live in AZ. So I'm down till I get the fix in. Hows it going on that anyway haven't heard/ read anything lately. Order # SO70753.

This might also be due to the belt moving sideways on the pulley. Check where the belt is sitting on the rear pulley.

It's a number of factors, not the least of which is that the belt can wander around like a drunken sailor so you measurements can too.

We are working diligently on this part, hopefully I'll have a few late today or tomorrow with more next week.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    It's a number of factors, not the least of which is that the belt can wander around like a drunken sailor so you measurements can too.

We are working diligently on this part, hopefully I'll have a few late today or tomorrow with more next week.
    Hey man!
    I resemble that remark!

Feeding the Addiction

Robin,
    Are you saying it may be a while before we get our fix? I have a planned long ride pretty soon and would like to know if I should make alternative repairs/plans.

Not trying to push just trying to plan ahead. I am happy if fix delivery is a month away but would like to know so I can make plans.

A couple got thru the welding today (more tomorrow and into next week) and we are hoping to get a small batch into powder coat tomorrow/monday. I'm expecting to have enough parts to update everyone by the end of next week.

Feeding the Addiction
    A couple got thru the welding today (more tomorrow and into next week) and we are hoping to get a small batch into powder coat tomorrow/monday. I'm expecting to have enough parts to update everyone by the end of next week.
    T'would be very cool... I am fine leaving the VRSC in the garage this weekend - have a ride planned next weekend, though. You've been very good about keeping us in the loop, Robin - could you make sure to post a shipping update by next Wed? That way, I could swap back to the stock tank before the weekend if necessary.

Feeding the Addiction
    Thanks Robin. All I need to know for now.

Feeding the Addiction

Thumbs up

That's taking care of business

I just got back from the shop. Nice little pile of them, powder coat employee didn't show up today (no big surprise) so they'll go into powder on Monday. More of them are being completed too.

Feeding the Addiction
    Sooner the better, as are many, my bike is dead in the garage till this fix ships oout. I just started tearing it down when this issue came to light. I should have left it as is for the time being I guess.

Feeding the Addiction
    Hey, Robin small thing to ask but if we pay the extra shipping can you ship the plate fix out faster so it gets into my hands faster.

Feeding the Addiction

Take a deep breath and relax.

Come on people this man is working on this project night and day. He has come up with solutions to problems that would have had others throw in the towl, and given up. Not to mention all the press battles. So take a break, take your signifigant other out to a movie and dinner, get some of your need to do list done, then when the parts get to you, every one will understand you want to work on your bike, because you have been so patient. And then You can enjoy the rest of the summer. Think where we would be with out Robin. Ted

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruminski
    Come on people this man is working on this project night and day. He has come up with solutions to problems that would have had others throw in the towl, and given up. Not to mention all the press battles. So take a break, take your signifigant other out to a movie and dinner, get some of your need to do list done, then when the parts get to you, every one will understand you want to work on your bike, because you have been so patient. And then You can enjoy the rest of the summer. Think where we would be with out Robin. Ted

easy for you to say....i deploy in about a month. i do appreciate Robin's work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dashark
    easy for you to say....
    Unfortunately I'd have to agree. There is a rally here in Kansas that my Dad, both Brothers and I have ridden to since it's start. I have not put as much time and money into my bike over the past year not to go. My bike will probably be entered into the bike show there (provided the clam-shell gets here from being painted in PA) and this was looking to be a prime opportunity to show things off, including the UE TrickTank. I know that the bracket should be here in time, but it's just getting too close to be comfortable. I'm sure we all have our own reasons for wanting this fix as soon as possible. We all have 15-30k+ sitting in the garage at home. Robin is doing outstanding work and fixing things that most manufacturers would say that it was the installers fault, that they have no control after their product is installed. I very much appreciate the work that UE and Robin do but I, and others too, are allowed to worry a little.

I am however taking that deep breath now and trying to relax.

Feeding the Addiction
    Robin, is there any way to get one un-powdercoated? i'm dying to get this bike rolling.......

Feeding the Addiction
    OK, I'm relaxed but asking a question if WE forked out the money for faster shipping doen't put a strain on Robin, his work, or the excellent customer service he's providing, wish the same could be said for HD and others.
    Took care of the old lady already and will keep on doing so but I feel working on the scooter or better yet riding is more relaxing.
    Hey brother deploying been there 2X, stay strong keep it in the wind and I hope you get the fix first.

Feeding the Addiction
    Everyone, after recieveing a PM about my "negative attitude" about this issue with the tank ... I'm sorry if it upsets people, but I do. It basically boils down to this issue:

It seems to me that this "fix" is merely going to cause our belts to hit the tank guard and rub? Is this the case? Please don't dodge the issue, will our belts rub on the new tank guard?

I think for myself, it comes down to you not taking responsibility for the causing the problem. You are helping provide a solution, but that is what a company with a unsafe product does. Hell, Dell just coughed up millions to replace laptop batteries and the problems were much more infrequent then what we are talking about here. That doesn't mean you have told us "I'm sorry I screwed up and I apologize you all can't ride."

If your lawyer is telling you not to admit responsibility then fine. But, I don't get that sense from your posts.

It would be helpful for me if you want me to be "on board" with this as a project, to admit the design error, and lets move on. Don't tell people "there are a lot of things coming into play" or to "go check your engine mount".

This whole thing has been a bad deal, I suspect we all would have avoided it if we could, but we can't and now we are in this situation.

You have made incredibly contributions to the v-rod community. I could never have seen this project to where it is now. You are a gifted designer. Prior to this, I have been your biggest supporter at 1130cc. I got upset when your site wasn't allowed to be linked and your post was deleted. You always dealt with me honestly.

I hope this post at least lets you know why I am so upset.

Please address if you think your tank guard will hit the belt on tanks that are so close.

Quote Originally Posted by viostorm
    Everyone.....It seems to me that this "fix" is merely going to cause our belts to hit the tank guard and rub?
    I believe that the new guard will push the offending bulge in and therefore be further away from the belt than the tank is now. It seems to me that the tank is flexing outward, causing the problem. With a piece of metal in the way, it's not going to flex anywhere and neither is the metal.

.....I think for myself, it comes down to you not taking responsibility for the causing the problem.
    How is he not, he is spending his own time and money to FIX this problem

You are helping provide a solution...
    And that is what it is, a solution, a fix, a cure

Please address if you think your tank guard will hit the belt on tanks that are so close.
    I know you are asking Robin, but from what I understand the guard will push the tank inward, not add to the width outward. The guard will most likely be farther from the belt than your tank is now. I assume that you've ridden before all of this and you had no problem with the belt rubbing the tank. If the guard is farther away than the tank is/was, it certainly stands to reason that it will be safer and not a problem, thereby a fix for the problem

No vio, the guard will not hit the belt in the way you mean. I thought I'd answered that already...

My concern with the variables in our 'control' is this 'bulge'. The guard does a number of things, one is it puts steel between the tank and belt, two is that it provides a solid plane to prevent the bulge.
    Another is I've added a guide feature to the guard to keep the belt from tracking off the pulley which it can do now (stock.) This misstracking is very hard on belts, pulleys and the chrome anti-wear coating on the rear pulley as well coatings on aftermarket alumunim pulleys. Should you disagree with this enhancement, you could easily flatten it out and eliminate it.

I'm planning to use Priority Mail for these which is 3 day service. Getting it 'quicker' is possible, email me if this is necessary.

dashark, the first of them will be powdercoated tomorrow and will go out also. Getting one uncoated won't speed things up.

Thread Information