Thread: 5 Gal tank removal problem

Feeding the Addiction

5 Gal tank removal problem

Edit: My bike is a 2003 VRSCA with no mods whatsoever. It still has stock exhaust, stock swing arm, stock pulleys and anything else considered stock.

Since the new bracket is not going to be available for a week or so I decided to attempt one of the temp repairs listed in that I am trying to move the tank to the right as much as possible and propping it away from the belt.

I removed the wheel and swing arm, loosened the exhaust bracket removed the tank holding bracket and mud flap and found I CAN NOT REMOVE THE TANK. It has expanded so much it will not come out. I do not see how adding a plate support is going to be possible. It wont even wiggle.

I have observed the area of the tank effected by the belt location and the front of the tank is protruding to the left of the lower cross member. This is where the belt is at its closest (2mm).

I am attaching several pictures of the situation. Pictures 1 and 4 best show the problem area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feeding the Addiction

Additional info

When I installed the tank it went in with absolutely no problem. It slid in comfortably and the bracket bolted down with no stress on it at all.

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyg
    Edit: My bike is a 2003 VRSCA with no mods whatsoever. It still has stock exhaust, stock swing arm, stock pulleys and anything else considered stock.

Since the new bracket is not going to be available for a week or so I decided to attempt one of the temp repairs listed in that I am trying to move the tank to the right as much as possible and propping it away from the belt.

I removed the wheel and swing arm, loosened the exhaust bracket removed the tank holding bracket and mud flap and found I CAN NOT REMOVE THE TANK. It has expanded so much it will not come out. I do not see how adding a plate support is going to be possible. It wont even wiggle.

I have observed the area of the tank effected by the belt location and the front of the tank is protruding to the left of the lower cross member. This is where the belt is at its closest (2mm).

I am attaching several pictures of the situation. Pictures 1 and 4 best show the problem area.
    Mine was pretty tight too, but I could wiggle it vertically from front to back just a little bit. When I found the sweet spot, it slid right out as easily as it went in.

Feeding the Addiction
    I managed to get the tank out with a little persuasion. The threads on the top got a little mucked up but not enough to hurt.

I applied a piece of neopreme tubing to the cross member next to the area effected with this problem and reinstalled the tank. Tank is now behind the cross member. It bulged out past it before. I now have 4 credit cards clearance (A little over 1/8").
    Reinstalling the tank was a bit of a challenge what with its increased size. I had to really shoe horn it in with a little BFFI. I plan on a 1000 miles next week and it should hold until I get back. Will exercise it quite a bit looking for signs of problems before then.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    Rusty, Please DO NOT RIDE IT.
    I wouldn't say it if it weren't necessary. We will have you the new part very soon, it's not worth risking damage to the tank. Since you already have it apart this will be the perfect opportunity to put the new guard in.
    Please, wait.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    Rusty, Please DO NOT RIDE IT.
    I wouldn't say it if it weren't necessary. We will have you the new part very soon, it's not worth risking damage to the tank. Since you already have it apart this will be the perfect opportunity to put the new guard in.
    Please, wait.
    OK but you will have to answer to my Wife. It's her ride.

Thread Information