Thread: Fuel pump

Feeding the Addiction

Fuel pump

I just got through my first tank of gas on the new kit and I think I may have a problem. I think my fuel pump/sending unit still might be too high in the body of the tank.

After my gauge read that I was basically empty (It was almost inline with the "E") I filled up and I was only able to put in 15 litres and I thought it was supposed to be closer to 20.
    Did I just fill up too early? Can I still go a while? I just didn't want to run out.
    I "thought" I did what the instructions said to do.

Anybody have any info???

Al

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    Since we don't alter the gauge it's no more accurate than stock, which leaves over a gallon in the tank when the gauge reads E.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    Since we don't alter the gauge it's no more accurate than stock, which leaves over a gallon in the tank when the gauge reads E.
    Will the pump still be able to, for lack of a proper term "suck" the remaider of the gas out?
    Should I just strap a jerry can on the back of the bike and go until it runs out?

Remember what the sending unit looked like? It's a float. The float needs to have enough fluid to make it float. That level is way higher than the pickup screen.

My gauge reads E and I put just shy of 4 gallons in (about 15 liters) but when I run it dry (bike runs out of gas) I can put 5 gallon in.

If you doubt it there's a fairly easy way to confirm that the sending unit is reaching the bottom...put a zip tie on one of the two shafts it slides on, install the sending unit and remove it, measure how far the ziptie moves.

Feeding the Addiction
    Remember what the sending unit looked like? It's a float. The float needs to have enough fluid to make it float. That level is way higher than the pickup screen.

My gauge reads E and I put just shy of 4 gallons in (about 15 liters) but when I run it dry (bike runs out of gas) I can put 5 gallon in.

If you doubt it there's a fairly easy way to confirm that the sending unit is reaching the bottom...put a zip tie on one of the two shafts it slides on, install the sending unit and remove it, measure how far the ziptie moves.

I'll try the jerry can method first, my bike is together and I'd rather not take it apart again unless I have to.

Thanx again Robin, good luck on the belt problem.

Al

Feeding the Addiction dpierce02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by almohr
    I'll try the jerry can method first, my bike is together and I'd rather not take it apart again unless I have to.

Thanx again Robin, good luck on the belt problem.

Al
    Al

i wouldnt trust the fuel gage if i were you. i use mine only as an indictor but they can get oxidized and read incorrectly.

i use the trip odometer and and check my mileage which i found varies from different parts of the country and also different suppliers locally.

i get between 33-37 mpg and try to give myself a 20-30- mile margin.

about 2.8 gallons (80-100 miles) on the old tank and i hope about 4.0 on the new tank (130-150) when Robin gets me the belt fix.

Dennis
    4 year cancer survior and counting. everyday is a great day

Feeding the Addiction
    On my first full tank run, I got 130 miles out of exactly four gallons, with the gauge indicating 1/8 tank remaining. Once I get the new tank in, I plan on using the odo as my primary ref and refilling at 140 miles.

Feeding the Addiction
    Hi,
    I'm getting about 110 miles at the Emark, and usally go to 130miles, when my needle is almost to the end of the red zone, then it takes 3.7 gallons to top off, so, i, still know i, have a good gallon left when i, hit the bottom of the Empty gauge.

Feeding the Addiction
    MonsterMaxx,

I was one of the few to receive the first generation tank. I followed the instruction to a tee, especially the fuel sender modification involving the 6mm to 7mm notch cut out. Now, new instructions indicate that the cut out procedure is not necessary. Also, I have noticed like others on this forum that once my gauge reaches the one quarter mark before empty, I have at least 2.3 gallons remaining. Is there anything I can do to improve the gas gauge reading without having to replace the fuel sender unit?

Replacing the sending unit will not do anything.

The tank is hourglass shaped so naturally the gauge will move more quickly in the middle than at either end. You should find that when the gauge bottoms out (a needle's width below E) you should have about 3/4s of a gallon remaining.

This is the nature of the beast. It's a float system and there needs to be enough fluid in there to make the float float. There's just no way to make it read E when it's just barely out of gas, there needs to be 5-6 inches of fuel in the tank to get the float floating.

Same as it was when it was stock.

Feeding the Addiction
    For those who haven't completed the install yet can do this;
    when the install IS complete and there is nothing left to do but add gas/petrol,measure 1/2 gallon of gas and dump it in the tank.Turn on the ignition but do not start.Check you gas gage.Turn the ignition off and add another 1/2 gallon.Switch on,check gage.Take notes andrepeat procedure until tank is full.Then when you are riding,try to stop for fuel at the designated indications from your notes and compare gallons to gage indications.If you feel you need more precise indication - get out the lab equipment and add fuel with a pipette or metered beaker.

I'm with dpierce02 in that it's only an indicator or better,a guesstimater,no,maybe a gastimater.
    It's just not a precision measuring instrument.
    My original stock setup was very accurate once I got used to it,i.e.;lots of driving.I drove it several times with it @ E to seehow far I could push it and never put in more than 3 gallons and that only once.Usually it ended up around 2.7 gallons.
    Trick's tank is WAY bigger on the bottom so it should take a while on E until it gets close to actually being empty-out of gas empty.

Feeding the Addiction
    Replacing the sending unit will not do anything.

The tank is hourglass shaped so naturally the gauge will move more quickly in the middle than at either end. You should find that when the gauge bottoms out (a needle's width below E) you should have about 3/4s of a gallon remaining.

This is the nature of the beast. It's a float system and there needs to be enough fluid in there to make the float float. There's just no way to make it read E when it's just barely out of gas, there needs to be 5-6 inches of fuel in the tank to get the float floating.

Same as it was when it was stock.

I think it would be possible to re-design the sending unit so that where the gas is actually sucked into the pump is at the same level as the float, not below it. So that the float actaully goes all the way down to the bottom of the tank.

But really, just know your bike and that will work just fine too.

I don't think it's possible with a float system for it to accurately know when the tank is really empty. HD's gone to a sonic system now with the new bikes, but I've heard reports that it's none too accurate either.

Thread Information