Thread: ignition

Driving past gas stations!

ignition

My ignition is still giving me fits. It seems to be when I put the key in and and turn to on, only some of the electrical system will turn on, but I wiggle the key and everything works. I am now having a problem when I rev the motor up it dies. I am taking it apart on Sunday. Question, when we added the new cable, does this have anything to do with whent the key turns on? Or could it be the connection? I need help. Thanks. Jon

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I'd say by your description that something is not right inside the ignition.

Be sure to check for loose connections too.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

yeah I thought this. You don't think it could be shaking from the engine? I didn't have this problem before, but this means nothing.....I will replace this if the connections are adequately touching. I just want to ride and this dang ignition is bugging me, hehe.

Feeding the Addiction
    When you opened it up to put the longer cable in you may have allowed some of the internals to shift around or pop out. The internals are really small and I believe there were springs in there also. Just something to think about if your three wire connections are all the way on to lengthen the ignition.

I'm thinking the same as Skip, maybe you lost one of the little springs that go under the tabs making for intermittent contact. You should pull the back off and check that the little tabs are for sure under the springs.

Another user noted that when he'd pushed the spade connectors on he'd missed one and while it seemed secure, it was between plastic and connector instead of locked into the spade itself. Give each connection a good tug and make sure they are securely seated.

I found out that it was one of the tabs missing for contact. I tried to replace it with one that i fabricated but it didn't work. I think the key mechanism is messed up now with repeated use. I got a new ignition switch on its way, a $68 fix for a month long headache. Will be very careful with this new one.

Are you saying you lost one of the little tabs? That would certainly cause you grief.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yep.....that's it....gave me all kinds of grief!!

Thread Information