Thread: Electrical problem

Feeding the Addiction

Electrical problem

I was working on the ignition on my 2005 Screamin' Eagle, and now neither of my brake lights, my signals (and 4-way flashers), and my horn don't work. Also, the tachometer doesn't work and the tripometer doesn't display, unless I push the button on the back of the instrument cluster.

When I press the "Run" button, the fan sometimes initially comes on for a few seconds. Also, the little red key light on the lower instrument panel will turn on for a few seconds, then turn off, only to turn on and stay on just a few seconds later. The bike starts fine, but the previously-mentioned problems remain. Any help help would be much appreciated.

Rich

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    There was another user with this problem, I suggested that he may have crossed the wires or not gotten the little buttons inside the ign back together correctly.

Unfortunatly he checked both at the same time and didn't know which was the solution, but it solved it.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Can you read any engine codes? The key light, best I can tell, will do the same as the engine light when a code for the TSSM is stored. I cleared my codes and the problem has not returned. Because you signals are not functioning correctly it is probably why the key light is doing this.

Feeding the Addiction

ignition problem

If you took the ignition apart for the tank latch mod. you might have lost one of the springs for the contacts. That could explain having to push in on the key to make it work. Just an idea. Zimmy

Feeding the Addiction
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It turns out, that although the bottom wire of the ignition looked (and felt) like it was in, it wasn't. So, after checking the fuses, I decided to check the wires on the ignition again. Only this time I left the Maxi-fuse in. Wouldn't you know it, I saw the instrument cluster lights come on while fiddling with it. Problem solved.

Cya on the road,
    Rich

So, it was just a little loose? Spade connector not fully seated?

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    So, it was just a little loose? Spade connector not fully seated?
    That was exactly it. Please check your PM.

Cya on the road,
    Rich

Good deal. Glad you found the problem. Ride safe with you extended range.

Feeding the Addiction

Electrical Problem (cont.)

Folks I have just finished the install and am having the same exact problem as this first guy. My question is are we talking about the wire extension end that is plugged directly into the Ignition switch housing not being seated properly?

I would assume that the extension is not seated in the bike's wire harness, not the ignition switch.

Better to be thorough, check all six ends.

The two things we have had reports on are
    1. Spade connectors not fully seated, or missed the spade completely and are only held in place by the plastic shell. Make sure these are installed correctly.
    2. Losing a part from inside the ignition. One user eventually determined that he'd lost one of the little buttons from inside the switch. This is why we recommend doing this step over a clean surface where if something falls it's not going to get lost. Some are tiny parts and you need all of them. There are no extra parts in the ignition switch

Feeding the Addiction
    I ultimately pulled the entire extension off and re-installed it and that fixed the problem. I believe that I did not have the wires in the ignition end seated properly/fully. Now my issue is that I have put about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank to try and crank the bike and it does not seem like it is getting fuel. I was trying not to fill the tank so that if there were any other problems I would not have a full tank incase I had to remove it again. have you any ideas as to any airlock issues or special procedures to get the fuel sending unit to pick back up??

Make sure the sending unit is plugged in.

You don't need to crank the engine, just turn the switch and the run switch on and you should hear the fuel pump prime the system. If it's not, something isn't plugged in right.

Another thing you can do if you're concerned about air-lock is to turn the run switch on, let the pump build to pressure, turn the switch off and press the fuel pressure valve behind the vertical coolant line on the right side. Have a rag in place to catch any possible fuel and prevent spray. May not help but it will prevent air-lock.

Make sure you dispose of the fuel soaked rag properly

Thread Information