Thread: Before I pull the trigger...

Feeding the Addiction

Before I pull the trigger...

Howdy all! I'm about ready to order my tank. I think I've got a shop lined up that will do it (I know I could do it myself, but my current garage doesn't have any room to work, and all my tools are packed up, so), but I just wanted to confirm a couple of things before I spend my hard-earned kwan.

- I probably just didn't read it right, but do I understand right that you have to remove the saddlebag support brackets? I mean, you can still have saddlebags after tank install, right?

- Could an AW-style keyless ignition be installed in lieu of the kit ignition relocation? If so, what other parts do I need to order and how much hassle does that add to the job?

- The HD passenger floorboards won't fit with the new tank, correct? Will only the stock pax peg mounts work? How about the Kuryakyn peg mounts?

- Is a shop time estimate of 4-6 hours still about right?

Thanks for any inside gouge and looks like this product has become truly awesome. I've been spectating since the beginning, and you've taken a promise and made it into a very slick product!

Driving past gas stations!
    The support brackets do not have to be removed, but you will need to leave them if you are using saddlebags. If you are using a pack with the luggage rack, then you don't need the supports. There are instructions for countersinking and using flat screws, but I didn't read it because I took the brackets out.

Someone on the other forum designed a keyless ignition, so I would search there. I do think that someone here might have done that so I hope they respond.

Robin has finalized a revision to the tank, so he will be able to answer about footpegs. I know that I had the Kuryakyn pegs and they didn't work. I used the HD chrome mounts and they actually look great, just a little pricey.

The shop time seems right. I was able to do it by myself with about 6 total hours of shop time (30 min here, 1 hour there). I am an amateur mech so they should be able to go faster. I will say the ignition relocation is perfect, even retaining your locking mechanism. Robin is finalizing a new bracket to contain the wires that looks good. Hope this helps.

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFester
    Howdy all! I'm about ready to order my tank. I think I've got a shop lined up that will do it (I know I could do it myself, but my current garage doesn't have any room to work, and all my tools are packed up, so), but I just wanted to confirm a couple of things before I spend my hard-earned kwan.

- I probably just didn't read it right, but do I understand right that you have to remove the saddlebag support brackets? I mean, you can still have saddlebags after tank install, right?

- Could an AW-style keyless ignition be installed in lieu of the kit ignition relocation? If so, what other parts do I need to order and how much hassle does that add to the job?

- The HD passenger floorboards won't fit with the new tank, correct? Will only the stock pax peg mounts work? How about the Kuryakyn peg mounts?

- Is a shop time estimate of 4-6 hours still about right?

Thanks for any inside gouge and looks like this product has become truly awesome. I've been spectating since the beginning, and you've taken a promise and made it into a very slick product!
    You do not have to remove the saddle bag brackets except I think on 06 SE, removing them makes it easier to counter sink an existing hole in them, i did, some did not remove to do that--- then reinstall. Some of the other installers have went keyless, I'd have to look for the threads later, At this point just the stockers. A good shop should be able to to it pretty easily in 4-6, good shop i would think less than 4 maybe.

More to come after work.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    NO, the saddlebag support brackets can stay. You need only countersink the front bolt for a flat head screw. If you have a angle drill this can be done right in the bike in 2-3 minutes. The '06SE has a very different saddlebag support, these will need to be modified. I have a couple sets inbound now and will offer an exchange program.

I don't know anything about the AW style keyless ignition. If you mean the front mounted HD ignition, yes, this can be done with ease.

The floorboards and Kuryakyn mounts don't work.

Install just got easier, I think 2-4 hours is about right. Instructions have not yet been updated and won't be until just before we get kits ready to ship, which will be about 10 days from now.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction
    Sorry, I just saw the floorboards/Kury mounts under " known incompatibilities", apologies for the already-asked-and-answered.

As for the front-mounted ignition - I'll admit to being a bit of a stoopidhead here - if you do the tank install and re-lo as per the kit, and later on want to install the front-mounted AW-style switch, what exactly do you have to do? Guess i'm just not 100% clear on the seat release vs. ignition switch.

Found a local indy shop that will do the work. How often do you hear "oh, yeah, we've done lots of work with V-Rods," and "As far as I'm concerned, the V-Rod's the best bike Harley ever made," from a bike shop wrench? Makes me happy all over.

Can UE ship the tank directly to the shop? And will new orders ship in 10 days, or will it take a while to clear out the backlog? Just so I can give them a time estimate.

I'm psyched...the only thing I don't like about the VR is always filling the effin' thing...you are an engineering G-d among men, Robin!

Feeding the Addiction
    Unclefester, the guys on the board are more familiar with shop time, and I don't think 4-6 hours is unreasonable. All 3 of the shops I went to quote me 10 hours, but I think that was mostly because of they were not familiar with the vrod.

If you already have the tools I'm sure the install can fly by. For me I was always chasing down parts.

Good luck! I think you will love the tank.

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by viostorm
    Unclefester, the guys on the board are more familiar with shop time, and I don't think 4-6 hours is unreasonable. All 3 of the shops I went to quote me 10 hours, but I think that was mostly because of they were not familiar with the vrod.

If you already have the tools I'm sure the install can fly by. For me I was always chasing down parts.

Good luck! I think you will love the tank.
    The shop I talked to said that, while they haven't installed the TrickTank, they have done several V-Rod fuel tank replacements, and do a lot of V-Rod work generally, so they're familiar with the bike. That sold me!

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I hope to be caught up by the end of the month.

If you put it on a credit card, we can only ship to the CC's registered address. Those are the CC rules.

If you are getting quotes on the current online instructions, you'll find the latest version is easier and install times should be less. This will be shipping soon with updated instructions (not avail online yet.)

2-4 hours should be plenty.

Nothing permanent is done with the ignition relo. You could always do something else (like HD's front of frame one) later.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction
    Groovy. You'll have my money soon. Thanks again, Robin!

RC in my Blood
    I went the keyless route using this schematic (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1168189282)...

There are a couple of write-ups on the other site.

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by gmccauley
    I went the keyless route using this schematic (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1168189282)...

There are a couple of write-ups on the other site.

I used the same schematic. Al-V-Rod from the other forum has a pretty good write up with pictures of his install.

Feeding the Addiction
    According to the fine folks at UE Customer Support, my tank shipped today! Can't wait!!!!

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by coonass
    I used the same schematic. Al-V-Rod from the other forum has a pretty good write up with pictures of his install.
    I just read through the whole thread on it. It got a little confusing when someone threw the bulldog thing into the mix but I figured it out. Al-V-Rod made it pretty simple to understand. My only reservation now is the fact that someone could turn my runswitch on and even though it wouldn't start I may return to a bike with a dead battery. They are still working on a solution for that little caveat.

Feeding the Addiction
    The TrickTank is in!!!!

Install finished today...went for a 30-mile-long test ride and everything's good to go.

Thanks again, Robin!!! You da man and you've made me a happy V-Rodder.

Thread Information