Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gas cap

RC in my Blood
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Rodder
    I just finished my tank install and the 61272-92B cap does not work for me. It fits but it causes gas to flow through the overflow hose and out the bottom. I put the stocker back on and all is well. They must have sent me the wrong cap or something, no way I can leave it on there.
    The cap can't cause fuel to flow out. This only happens if too much fuel is in the tank and you lean it on the side stand ("jiffy" stand). If the cap vent was defective the fuel pump could cavitate (vaporize the fuel) and not provide fuel pressure but even excess pressure in the tank won't force any fuel out unless it is overfilled.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I can't see how a gas cap could cause fuel to rise up and go thru the vent tube either. I'm pretty sure you just overfilled it. Been there, done that.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Feeding the Addiction

Angry

Just FYI, I just got Drag Specialties Part #0703-0061 "Gas Cap Pop Up 96-04" in the mail. I had ordered it a few months ago.

It doesn't work, it is threaded the wrong way.

Ugh.

Feeding the Addiction
    If you ordered a non-vented one, then it is a left hand threaded cap for the left tank on a fatbob tank. A HD with two individual tanks. It screws on opposite ways so that you don't accidentally put the vented one on the down side tank where fuel can spill out when leaned over on the jiffy stand. Order the right VENTED cap it is right hand threaded. Go back and look at my post# 24 on this thread.
    Last edited by skipmccall; 04-16-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: give reference post#

Feeding the Addiction
    I spent quite some time at the dealer on Saturday with a very knowledgeable parts dude. After pulling a few gas caps from stock, the conclusion we came to was if it is non-vented and for L96-06, it will probably have left-handed threads (for the fatbob). I exchanged the 0703-0061 (non-vented, left hand thread) for the 0703-0060 (vented, right hand thread). Of course it had to be ordered, hopefully it won't take 2 months to get. I'm pretty sure it is the same cap Skip got on ebay. I would be interested in any low profile non-vented right hand threaded gas cap, if such an animal exists.....

Feeding the Addiction
    Picked up the DS 0703-0060 pop-up cap on Saturday. Seems to fit just fine.

Feeding the Addiction
    Got my pop-up cap today. They can't get any lower profile than this is. It should solve anyones seat pan clearance problem. Also I have been to two different dealers to check out the HD cap said to be lower than the stock v-rod cap. It is lower than the stock one with the rib still in place but not after the rib is taken off. I thought you meant it was lower than the stock one after the rib is gone but I'm not seeing that.

Feeding the Addiction
    Is it possible to just shave some of the top of the stock gas cap? Mine seems to have plenty of clearance with my Willie G seat but I thought I'd check.

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Is it possible to just shave some of the top of the stock gas cap? Mine seems to have plenty of clearance with my Willie G seat but I thought I'd check.
    Yes it is possible. I shaved mine off flat; it left a little rectangular hole in the top part but it doesn't affect the seal or venting of the cap at all.

Feeding the Addiction
    Rattle...Kewl, Thanks... That will ensure all the space I need.

Feeding the Addiction
    Yup that's what I did for my Corbin Seat. Works fine.

Feeding the Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Rattle...Kewl, Thanks... That will ensure all the space I need.
    Here's a pic of mine. I used a little bar and shield logo to cover the hole.

Feeding the Addiction
    i brought the --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I am using a right-hand thread vented pop-up cap. I have had no problems with it. I fill up as much as I can get in with no problems and run it all out with no problems. As you can see it has a super low height when the pop-up is not up to remove the cap. It is like just putting a flat piece of metal over the gas tank. This is why it is, in the closed position, way lower than the rubber cover for the gas lines.

Here is where I got it from on ebay:
    CHROME POP-UP VENTED GAS CAP MID-96-06 HARLEY
    Item number: 220094655177

It is a Rick Doss cap."

INSTALLED IT AND AFTER 2 DAYS IT WAS GETTING WEB ON POP UP SCREWW, LEAKING GAS, THIIS CAP IS PLASTIC AND METAL, NOT GREAT QULAITY, WENT BACK TO THE STOCKER AND MODIGIED MY SEAT A BIT TO COVER THE CLEARENCE ISSUE!

Thread Information