Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Losi 8ight and 8ight-T Thread

Alright, here is my run threw on how I setup my throttle/brake servo, linkage and brakes..... I now have over 6 hours track time and 1 1/2 gallons threw my car getting over 10 minutes per tank with zero issues on my car! No leaky shocks, no leaky diffs and no servo issues. I've beat this car hard!! Only thing I've broken is one upper front shock standoff and that was from landing upside down off the big "quad" jump on concrete like clay!!
    We'll start off with the brakes. I'm sure most of you know how to setup your brake pad clearance but I mine as well run threw the whole setup. There is no need for more than 0.5mm brake rotor to pad clearance. First measure your brake pad

Then add 0.5mm to your brake pad measurement and then set your clearance by measuring between the head of the screw and both pads combined. make sure to make both sides as equal as possible as this will result in better pad contact to the rotor.

Now install your throttle/brake servo onto the radio tray. Use the rubber grommets and spacers. The rear of the radio tray is slotted to allow for different sized servo's. You want to make sure that the slotted portion of the radio tray is 2-3mm away from the servo case to allow for flex. In this picture you can see that the rear of my radio tray has this 2-3mm clearance.

In this picture I am compressing the radio tray to simulate chassis flex and you can see the rear of the radio tray has slid about 2mm towards the servo.

This is the area that you have to make sure you have enough clearance. If your servo fits tight into the radio tray, grind back this part of the radio tray so that you have this 2-3mm clearance. You'll also want to make sure that the slots for the rear bolts are deep enough to allow the rear of the radio tray to slide as well. When bolting your servo to the radio tray, just wind the scews down until they touch the washers. Then maybe another 1/8 to 1/4 turn after that. You should be able to slide the washer around with your finger nail or small screw driver quite easily. Take your time on this step making sure the radio tray slides back and forth easily when you simulate chassis flex.
    The angle of the picture is a little off but my carb has about another 1mm clearance than what the picture shows. I spent some time grinding the top diff plate so I wouldn't have to angle my carb as much. Again, the more time you spend doing things like this the more you will be rewarded

Also when installing the rear brake cam insert into the top diff plate make sure it "pops" in all the way(sometimes it takes 2 "pops") or when you tighten the rear screws down your rear brake cam will bind! There is no need to run the rear top diff plate screws loose when the rear brake insert has been installed properly.
    Now we move onto the linkage. If using the stock throttle return spring you must trim down the ball cup 2-3mm. You want to make sure you have enough clearance for your linkage "stops" to servo case. Here you can see that I thought I had enough cearance(I had 1mm clearance first time around) but after running the car on the track for a bit you can see that my throttle "stops" made some contact with the servo case. Not good.

When I first assembled the linkage it would actually touch the servo case barely. What I did to make room was grind some material away from the plastic part that the washer touches when screwing the throttle and brake linkages to the servo horn. There is quite a bit of play there in stock form so you want to take your time grinding a little off this area at a time until you have around 0.5mm clearance. This is enough clearance to prevent binding and it helps raise the "stops" about 1mm from the servo case. After realizing that 1mm clearance was not enough I installed a small washer I had that was 1mm thick between the servo horn and servo horn insert. After running my car at the track again my "stops" have not made contact again. Here is what the clearance looks like now after installing the washer.

Also this is the time to rotate your carb "pivot" where the linkage attaches too to make sure your linkage is 100% parallel so you don't have any binding.

Now take your time and set your brake "stops" so that the brakes start applying pressure after very little servo movement. I make both front and rear brakes feal about equal right now and will adjust my bias to what I like with the brake collars at the track. Also take your time now to make sure that you have at least 2mm clearance everywhere for your brake linkage on both the servo side and on the other side of the centre diff where the brake "stops" are.

So now that your brake linkage is set pretty close we can move on to setting your epa's. You NEVER want your throttle opening 100%. All thats needed is about 90-95%. Chassis don't just flex front to back. They also flex side to side so if your throttle is open 100% and your chassis is flexing your servo is being strained quite a bit! Here is how to check this out. With your radio on set your epa to what you think is 90-95% fully open.

Now with the throttle still fully opened you should be able to grab the throttle "stop" and pull the carb open at least 1mm more.

We're almost there. The 8ight doesn't take much brake pressure to make it stop. How I ruff this in is just by putting my finger threw the opening on the bottom of the chassis and spin the spur gear over with my finger. I increase the epa on the brakes until I can barely turn the spur over with my finger. This will get you pretty close on the track. You may have to add 5% or so once on the track. So now that the brake epa is set we can move onto to checking any possible binding in the brakes. Again with the radio on apply the brakes 100%(with epa set properly of course).

Now grab the throttle linkage again and pull it towards you. The carb should open a minumum of 0.150 of an inch(close to 3/16 of an inch) to allow for flex and that you will probably apply more brakes at the track once the car has been run.

Now go out and enjoy the fastest buggy to hit the track I can pretty much garuntee if you follow these steps you will NOT have any throttle servo issues that are related to the car. If you have any questions please feal free to post hear or email me I did use Kyosho linkage springs on my car as I feal the brake springs make the braking a little more "linear" and the throttle return spring has about 50% of the pressure of the stock Losi spring. Being that I used the Kyosho throttle return spring I did not need to trim down the ball cup as the Kyosho spring is much shorter than the stock Losi one. Again this is not neccessary but something I wanted to do. I hope this helps out at least a few of you out there.
    Team Losi-Fusion/Novarossi-RC Compound-Nitrotane-Tony Screws-AVID-ChromePickle-Vinyl Graphics

only one thing i didnt agree with...
    -Crash

Quote Originally Posted by imaxx21
    only one thing i didnt agree with...
    Team Losi-Fusion/Novarossi-RC Compound-Nitrotane-Tony Screws-AVID-ChromePickle-Vinyl Graphics

want some mugen decals for that thing rich? looks good buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbo5
    want some mugen decals for that thing rich? looks good buddy.
    Thanks bud. Have a Happy New Year and a Happy New year to everyone else as well!

Man, it sure is nice to see someone knows how to use the macro function on their camera!

Rich, change your name on the grid

Quote Originally Posted by RD Racing
    Man, it sure is nice to see someone knows how to use the macro function on their camera!

Rich, change your name on the grid
    I'm trying to bud. Crappy forum won't let me!!

What camera you got Rich
    The Largest State in the USA---
    Alaska = 650,000+ Sq. Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Booyah
    What camera you got Rich
    Canon Powershot A95, its not bad....

Just thought I'd throw out a little update. Just finished rebuilding
    my car after 6+ hours on the track. Diffs are mint. Shocks I have not
    touched since first building my car. Haven't changed fluid, nothing.
    Decided it was time to have a look at them. Took all the shock caps
    off and not one shock was down on fluid, poured the fluid out and all
    the fluid came out looking perfectly new. I ran one TKO o-ring and one
    stock o-ring and that seems to be the ticket. I did notice one torn
    bladder wich is fine with me as I was replacing bladders every 2
    weekends on my Kyosho just to make sure I wouldn't have issues 8-) SO
    one torn bladder and shock boots still have no tears so I'll reuse
    those for now.

I did notice last time out that my car seemed a little "off". I now
    have found the reason why. I guess my outing prior to last when that
    Mugen truggy stuffed the rear of my car at full speed at the end of
    the straight away, did actually do something. When draining the fluid
    from my rear shocks I found one bent shock shaft. And it was "hanging
    up" pretty good! Any other car for sure would have broken a rear shock
    shaft from the impact my car took! That truggy sent my car flying 10-
    15 feet. I also found one bent rear outer hingepin on that side as
    well. This is one darn TUFF car!!! I love it! Even with a bent
    hingepin and shock shaft my car was still darn good last outing. Now I
    really can't wait to run my car again now that it will be 100% again

Bash & Crash Racing piccomaxxr21's Avatar
    Psh, its more like the Team Lousy 8ight.
    We all know the real star is a Hyper 8

But your body does look leagues ahead of any Hyper 8 ive seen.

Nate

running out on the track to flip my truck over
    Quote Originally Posted by piccomaxxr21
    Psh, its more like the Team Lousy 8ight.
    We all know the real star is a Hyper 8

But your body does look leagues ahead of any Hyper 8 ive seen.

Nate
    Kids these days
    Gidddy up.........

Quote Originally Posted by ws7maxx
    Kids these days
    +1

picked up a new toy last weekend when I went to the States to race. Been waiting like 6 months for it to show up in Canada but haven't seen it yet?? Was in Wal-Mart with a friend, he forgot his 23mm wrench at home so was looking for a socket and I came across this

I've used it once already and its great! No "kick backs" or nothing and is super comfortable to use. Not to mention the Dremel I already had wasn't cordless so this was a great find for home and at the track

Here are some pics of the Losi 8ight OuterWears PreFilter installed. Only thing I did is you need to make the hole in the middle for the stock Losi 8ight housing. What I did was find a drill bit that was the exact same size, heat it up on the stove till it was red hot and pushed it threw. Worked perfectly 8-)

I like those filters...send me some rich

I like those filters...send me some rich
    Sorry bro, only got 3 of them. One for my nephew and 2 for me(one for the 8ight and one for the 8ight-T)

outerwear looks like a Nike jumpsuit

I just got myself an 8ight so I'll be following this thread closely. I haven't even started the build and the tips you provided will point me in the right direction.
    .................................................. .........

Quote Originally Posted by Tex
    outerwear looks like a Nike jumpsuit

I just got myself an 8ight so I'll be following this thread closely. I haven't even started the build and the tips you provided will point me in the right direction.
    chime in with any questions you have! You'll be very happy with your choice! Just take your time building it making sure to clean all metal threads and set screws with brake clean and then use good locktite. You'll never loose a pin. like I said, if you have any questions while your building don't be afraid to ask.

Well, I got my latest body from Greg(Chromepickle), this one is really close to what my final paint scheme will look like. I'm going to have less green on my final design and a few tweaks here and there but this is basically it I wanted a brite paint scheme this season and a design that when the car was going around the track everyone will be able to tell its mine. Maurizio also sent me a image of what my wing decals will look like this season, can't wait to get them!

Veteran
    I just dont get how some one can have so much Creativity, Skill and Patience to create a body like that. It truely is a work of art!

yeah I wish I could paint, or come up with a cool body and have some one else paint it. but great looking set up Rich can't wait to see your truggy when you get it.

PS. Are you going to race the first round of the nct this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Badxlt2
    yeah I wish I could paint, or come up with a cool body and have some one else paint it. but great looking set up Rich can't wait to see your truggy when you get it.

PS. Are you going to race the first round of the nct this year?
    Yes I will be at Peel It Raceway for the 1st Round. I'm hoping to have the 8ight-T for that race

cool i know that james, rod and my dad and I will be hitting that race again this year so well see you there.

cool i know that james, rod and my dad and I will be hitting that race again this year so well see you there.
    Awesome, be good to hang with you boys again

hey Rich i see you have TKO as one of your sponsors. have you tryed there shock pistons? the dule stage check valve ones. if they are the ones that made them. lol but yeah i cant wait to hit that race and to see all the cool stuff you have this time.

Matt

hey Rich i see you have TKO as one of your sponsors. have you tryed there shock pistons? the dule stage check valve ones. if they are the ones that made them. lol but yeah i cant wait to hit that race and to see all the cool stuff you have this time.

Matt
    Do they even have them for the Losi? I love the way the shocks feal stock on this car and wouldn't change a thing there

I dont know I just remeber seeing a artical in a mag and they look like a good ideah. I just never seen any one try them out. I thought that you being a tko guy you may have heard or tryed them.

I dont know I just remeber seeing a artical in a mag and they look like a good ideah. I just never seen any one try them out. I thought that you being a tko guy you may have heard or tryed them.
    heard of them, but haven't tried them. I'm sure there good with the right setup....

Its getting close boys These babies will be putting the hurt on ALLOT of the competition

The LSP's maybe

Have You Eaten a Veegan Lately? sukidr350's Avatar
    just wait a little bit longer and then you will have another new toy

Have You Eaten a Veegan Lately? sukidr350's Avatar
    best of luck to all those that are going to peel-it for NCT #1

The LSP's maybe
    you can add a few more to that list bud trust me

revo, tmaxx, lst
    -Crash

Quote Originally Posted by imaxx21
    revo, tmaxx, lst

You know Rich---have to jump on the odd ball train

You know Rich---have to jump on the odd ball train
    you know Boo, have to build a car and let it sit on the shelf all season Just wait and see the 8ight-T envasion, it will be more pronounced than the 8ight invasion was and you can see how many of those are at tracks everywhere I predict there will be nothing but 8ight-T's and Mugens at tracks everywhere this season. Should make for some good battles. Now the truggy scene will be into full swing this year

Got my React yesterday! Love the way this thing feals, soo cumfy and soo light! Got my Ballistic Battery Pack as well today. Took 2700 on its first charger. Can't wait to try the radio out on the track in 1 week. The adjustable throttle trigger is the shizzzz. haven't had a throttle before where it felt just right

Veteran
    I dont doubt there quality but they just look plain old ugly to me.

Thread Information