Thread: Nicky Hayden - 2006 Moto GP Champion

Nicky Hayden - 2006 Moto GP Champion

The title says it all.

Two weeks ago, heading into the next-to-final round, Nicky was leading the points over Rossi. Early in the race, Nicky's team-mate took them both out, giving Rossi an 8 point lead.

Today at the final round, Rossi needed to finish no worse than third to clinch the title but he crashed on the 4th lap. The Kentucky boy is the 2006 Moto GP champion.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Seen that take out by his team mate... Bet that was ugly back in the pits.
    Tom...

niiiiice...
    -Crash

Veteran
    Rossi is still number one regardless. He is by far the undisputed bike king with so all is many back to back championships.

Quote Originally Posted by respirologyr
    Rossi is still number one regardless. He is by far the undisputed bike king with so all is many back to back championships.
    Couldn't agree more. But Nicky will carry the Numero Uno in 07.

Rossi aint from Kentucky....
    -Crash

Veteran
    I like Nickey fine and all but i dislike Honda!!!!!!!!! When Rossi rode for Honda; Honda released a statement that stated the rider wasn't what was great but the bike was. Further more, the bike made the rider great. After this occurred Rossi got pissed and jumped ship to Yamaha.

I like both racers but I can't stand Honda.

Veteran
    Rossi has eclipsed all the records in GP racing. He has won all the classes, 125, 250 and 500, some multiple times. He has won more races than anyone in history.

No disrespect to Hayden, but he is not the caliber rider Rossi is. He will never have the pedigree that Rossi already has in his pocket. I have the last few seasons motoGP series on DVD and there are numerous times Rossi just puts his head down and drives off from everybody, Hayden, Melandri and Gibernau, whoever. Its almost like, "OK, I'm thru playing with you guys, time to go", and he's gone. When he is in zone, he is untouchable. And this is driving equipment that is plainly down on hp compared to the honda. Put him back on the honda and it wouldn't be much of a contest - just like '05 was not that much of a contest.

I don't know what it is with honda that they treat their talent like trash, they've done it in motorcross chasing off McGrath and then Carmichael. They've done it in motoGP also. It usually comes down to their attitutde that they own the rider and have to control his income - ie not allow any sponsorships other than the ones they dictate. Kind of a cut their nose off to spite their face attitude. I expected to see some heads roll over some of these plainly bone headed plays they've pulled, but when nothing has happened, you come to understand it must be their corporate policy. I guess it keeps them from dominating everything and making races about who will finish 2nd.

The bike made the rider great, yeah, right!!! Maybe thats the prob - Honda really believes that crap, maybe they've been sniffing their own exhaust for a little too long, lol!!

Rossi is one of the greats...but, Mick Doohan is still the king of Moto GP (at least in my book )
    I lean it out, digging deeper, just to throw it away

I told my wife after the race was over that the best rider didn't win the championship, but guess what, that's racing. Rossi went down all on his own, that's what that kind of pressure does to ya. It's not just about skill and machine at that level. With that being said, you have to take your hat off to Nicky, he kept his composure and Rossi didn't.

Thread Information