Thread: My buggy is bigger than yours

My buggy is bigger than yours

Well, I don't know if any other forum members here own one, but if you've got a spare $950 laying around this is definitely a good way to use it. There have been a few warranty issues such as rear tire foams that turn into powder but HPI has taken care of warranty parts. I'm running a DDM 29cc ported big bore kit in this with a TGN X-Can exhaust, I've got a Promatch 4200 receiver pack which is good for about 5 hrs on constant running and I've got a Hitec 805BB for the steering. I was a little skeptical at first thinking that something this large wouldn't handle very well but I am completely amazed at the handling and durability of this buggy. It's pretty much unstoppable at the local construction sites, well at least until I cartwheel it a dozen times and it lands on it's roof. Runs for around 45 minutes on a tank and throws 5 ft rooster tails, gotta love it.

Go Tech Powered Xray XT8
    Go Tech Powered Xray XB808

God dang that thing must be loud. About 2 yrs ago I was into the GoPed thing. Had an earlier version of the xcan from TGN (v2 I think) on a 25cc big bore kit (biggest available back then) on a Zenoah 23. I remember riding off while my buddy stayed in one spot. He called me when he told me he couldnt hear me anymore. I was almost a mile away by the time he called me. After a long ride at a constant 3/4 throttle I couldnt hear for nuttin.

Anyways, how fast do you think that thing is out of the box? I dont remember if HPI gives a speed rating, and I havent seen one run yet and thats all people coming in the shop wanna know. How much better did it get with the big bore kit? Thanks.
    Official member of the "IDGRA how many posts you have!" club.

Your best teacher is experience. Your best source of information is word of mouth – that is others with hands on experience. -MonsterMaxx

I can't wait until someone posts their 1:1 buggy throwing 30ft roosters
    .................................................. .........

running out on the track to flip my truck over
    Yes, I'm still drooling over one of those, but I'm waiting for the HPI pipe and a two speed.

I was at my LHS a few weeks ago when the guy there was dialing in a FG monster buggy (vw bug body with monster truck like tires) that had that same DDM 29cc engine, a tuned pipe and a two speed......that thing really moved.

Now if you could combine that acceleration/speed with the Baja,,,,now that would be something.
    Gidddy up.........

Where's the drivers seat? j/k

Quote Originally Posted by mtdriver
    God dang that thing must be loud. About 2 yrs ago I was into the GoPed thing. Had an earlier version of the xcan from TGN (v2 I think) on a 25cc big bore kit (biggest available back then) on a Zenoah 23. I remember riding off while my buddy stayed in one spot. He called me when he told me he couldnt hear me anymore. I was almost a mile away by the time he called me. After a long ride at a constant 3/4 throttle I couldnt hear for nuttin.

Anyways, how fast do you think that thing is out of the box? I dont remember if HPI gives a speed rating, and I havent seen one run yet and thats all people coming in the shop wanna know. How much better did it get with the big bore kit? Thanks.
    Some guys did some comparisons, out of the box RTR was 37mph, they then removed the stinger and got about 40mph from it. Then they installed the X-Can on the stock motor and got right at 43mph I beleive. The big bore kit improved the bottom end unbeleivably but you have to run the X-Can with it, I had the stock exhaust on it with the big bore kit and it improved performance wise but the X-Can really made it scream. There's only one guy right now making taller gearing for it in Germany and there like $75 shipped for one pinion. With the power on tap with the big bore kit and the exhaust and a taller pinion I'm guessing I could easily get 55-60 mph out of it. Right now the motor just tops out and the gearing is restricting it, I've got unbeleivable low end and if your running on anything even remotely loose the back end just spins everywhere.
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    It's removable, it's a little red wagon with a rope tied to the back of the Baja.
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

Quote Originally Posted by Team FSR
    . Then they installed the X-Can on the stock motor and got right at 43mph I beleive. The big bore kit improved the bottom end unbeleivably but you have to run the X-Can with it, I had the stock exhaust on it with the big bore kit and it improved performance wise but the X-Can really made it scream. There's only one guy right now making taller gearing for it in Germany and there like $75 shipped for one pinion. With the power on tap with the big bore kit and the exhaust and a taller pinion I'm guessing I could easily get 55-60 mph out of it. Right now the motor just tops out and the gearing is restricting it, I've got unbeleivable low end and if your running on anything even remotely loose the back end just spins everywhere.

Going from a top speed of 43mph to 60mph would require a gear ratio change in the neighborhood of ~ 30% or more assuming the same RPM.

I'm no Pete Rose, but I'd bet that farm that even with your DDM power, your Baja would turn into a turd off the line.

I still really want one though. Hopefullly by next spring they will have some choices of tires, pipes, etc

Actually, I've heard that HPI is making a MT version of the 1/5 scale..... just wish I had a bigger money tree out back LOL
    Gidddy up.........

UE's Only Scottish Support! Metal Head's Avatar
    Looking good! I used to have an FG Marder with an Ian Oddy Odified Race Tuned 27CC Engine with modified Samba Race Pipe. You wouldn't believe the speed of that thing!

How strong is the Baja? Broke it yet?

Consuming Nitro.... Me or My RC? Tmaxxinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Where's the joke in this? Am I missing something?

-Johnno-MX-
    If at first you don't succeed; beat it with a hammer.

I'm a confused person... Savage25fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex

I'll post some up after I go out to the dunes in 2 weeks.
    "Perseverance; remaining steadfast pursuit of an aim against all odds..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Head
    Looking good! I used to have an FG Marder with an Ian Oddy Odified Race Tuned 27CC Engine with modified Samba Race Pipe. You wouldn't believe the speed of that thing!

How strong is the Baja? Broke it yet?
    It's amazingly strong, I've put it through the ringer at some construction sites, it's been nosedived into the dirt and has survived several cartwheels. I'm impressed for something that weighs 23lbs that it has held together as well as it has.
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

ofna monster pirate kicks fs Dasquriel's Avatar
    mabey you need a song?

My Buggy is much bigger than yours,
    My Buggy can walk right through the door
    With a feeling so pure..
    It's got you screaming for more.

My Buggy runs much better than yours,
    My Buggy crashes right down through the floor.
    With a feeling so pure,
    It's got you coming back for more.

My Buggy is much bigger than yours,
    My Buggy can walk right through the door
    With a feeling so pure..
    It's got you screaming back for more!

lol it would crash through the floor with its weight alone... but there very cool. I wouldnt mind haven that or the xtm 1/7th buggy both are massive(ly) awsome.
    buy my savage 4.6 ss/xss
    dont live in fear

The 5B is a very cool machine that's perfectly suited for bashing. At the local track in my area, there is a guy who brings out his and tries to run it on the track. Key word being 'tries' It's a track that is between slightly small and perfect size for 1/8th buggies and truggies. He just tears up the track and slams into the railings. It's interesting to watch but annoying to drive with/around.

Anyways, have fun with that thing, I only wish I could afford one.
    Don't anger the dirt gods.

JuJu
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex
    Baja Bugs are even better. Don't worry, I'll post some pics once I get the new pans and other esentials stuck on.

Buckle up, I wanna try sumthin tmdriver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasquriel
    mabey you need a song?
    WOW

That thing looks fun man. Im sure its loud as ive heard some gopeds with those xcans on them, but who cares, the louder the better. Wish i had the coin for one.
    This signature was intentionally left blank.

Some pics of my Baja..Jetpro v1 and v2 pipe..29cc big bore kit, KN air filter, outter wear cover..More stuff coming...

More Recent pic with new Jetpro pipe..

How's the pipe holding up locktite?
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

I'm not a huge fan of how that Jetpro pipe looks, but it really wakes up even the stock engine.

And the sound is really cool..... goes from sounding like a weedeater to sounding like a Moto-X bike.
    Gidddy up.........

Quote Originally Posted by ws7maxx
    I'm not a huge fan of how that Jetpro pipe looks, but it really wakes up even the stock engine.

And the sound is really cool..... goes from sounding like a weedeater to sounding like a Moto-X bike.
    Their definitely sweet sounding, but my concern was it being so exposed.
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

yeah, there's alot of pipe exposed there. one perfectly placed boulder and goodbye tune.

looks like fun, cant wait for WS7 to make the decision to buy one.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Oh, given my driving skills or lack there of , I'd crush that pipe in mear minutes LOL........ thats a given

Thats why I'm waiting to see what HPI comes out with. ......... I'm really looking forward to having one of these things by next spring.
    Gidddy up.........

HPI Baja B5

Guys,

Old thread, but I'm really interested in buying one of these...from everything I've read about them here and in the magazines and online, they're pretty bad a$$....

I've seen a few posts on here, any one got any more info good or bad about them?

Thanks...dmay815

Quote Originally Posted by dmay815
    Guys,

Old thread, but I'm really interested in buying one of these...from everything I've read about them here and in the magazines and online, they're pretty bad a$$....

I've seen a few posts on here, any one got any more info good or bad about them?

Thanks...dmay815
    First release 5b's came with junk rear foams, after about 4 tanks they turn to powder and make it undriveable. HPI warrantied me some new updated ones along with a set of tires and didn't have any other problems. Only other issue I had is the servo saver allows the linkage to cam over to far on one side and will strip the plastic servo horn, if you set your epa out of the box which I didn't you should be good. Other than those two minor issues they are very durable, I beat the hell out of mine and never had any other problems. If you get one of the newer ones which I think are probably all thats out now the foams are already updated.
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it FSR...how about the pipe?...heard a lot of chatter about really waking up that engine with something other than the stock pipe...I see JetPro came out with a new pipe that looks like it's protected pretty well...i think it's a V3..any thoughts on these?

Anyone else running one of these bad boys?

Haven't seen the V3 pipe for it, I ran the Xcan and for $79.95 (I think that's what it cost) I don't think I'd spend an extra $130 for the V3 unless the look and sound is that important to you. The stock pipe really chokes the motor, you'll see an increase with the Xcan.
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

FSR...thanks for the tips...I'll pick up an X Can soon....look what I got!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking vehicles you have there!!
    August 18, 2006 - R.I.P. - SuperMaxx -- Forever Loved : (

Thanks man...they are a blast, don't know what I did with my time before I discovered RC!

Quote Originally Posted by dmay815
    FSR...thanks for the tips...I'll pick up an X Can soon....look what I got!!!!!!!
    Money well spent...
    Go Tech Powered Xray XT8

Thread Information