Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: KYOSHO SP2 and ST-R Thread

Disgruntled ex-postal worker saychz316's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 22benjamin22
    Got mine ordered this morning. No racing for a few weeks due to moving the track outdoors, so I'll have time to build with no rush.

Now I gotta get a powerplant. Begin research....now. (not going to do a .28)
    plus 21-5! or p5

or vspec with the 2050 pipe or jp-1 pipe. seems to be a potent combo as well. bradley runs with 2050 pipe, and he flat out rips in his crt!
    They're paying for it, you eat it!

22benjamin22
    You wanna hear crazy? I'm seriously considering getting (2) RGs and get a few spare Rods, then break them in and have a private modder do his thing to them, replace the rod and run 'em.

I could do all that for arounnd $225 and should have enough motor to run 8-20 gallons. I'm not planning on going to many (if any) big races, and I'm not worried about losing races by not having the fastest motor. I really don't want to spend more than $225 on the powerplant, though I don't mind spending a bit of money on a pipe that I'll be able to reuse from motor to motor.

www.dewintersign.com Devilmanak's Avatar
    Do it.
    Hate to say it, but two of the three motors that I took down with me were EB Mods Nova's, and they did NOTHING for me. (.28 wouldn't run right at all, and Ben, you experienced that P5, stupid thing flamed on the start in the main.) The stock C5 was the only one that was raceable all weekend! (NOT because the EB motors were bad, or his work is. Quite the opposite.) But a motor has to run to race, and stay running to finish, and whatever is wrong with mine (low compression, tank setup, whatever, haven't figured it out yet) killed my racing. I would have killed for a stock, idling, non-flaming RG on Saturday!
    I drove my LSP way better with the C5 over the .28, the .28 was just too much for that little track, it was hard to keep everything on track over the jumps. Mileage with the .28 was also horrible.

Wait a minute..You stepping up Ben????
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing
    Anchorage House of Hobbies

nutting wrong with that ben. tom club races with an hpi .28 savage pullstart motor, and he can whip our butts any saturday eve. proof positive, its always the driver, not the engine or car/truck.
    im just partial to the p5 motor. I really like how it runs. still my favorite buggy motor to date.
    thinking im done with the whole modded motor thing for time being. yeah, its mostly mental (gotta have the best) with me, but the past few outings i have had, proved to me i can be faster, by going slower on the throttle. absolutley nothing wrong with rg's. i wouldnt even bother modding. run em stock, and whip their behinds every saturday!!
    so you loose the drag race on the straight by a truck length or two. big deal. when they wreck in the first corner after, pass right on by. the straight is only 10% of the track. (thanks for the wisdom tom)

I dont think absolute power is useful at all until you are in the PRO ranks with the big guys and can use it properly! Yes its good to have 1000HP motor and its fun but until you are a PRO-Fessional and can use all of it at certain times of the track and race-its not really needed
    The Largest State in the USA---
    Alaska = 650,000+ Sq. Miles

Ben,

I saw Slimbo post a new, non P5X, P5 for sale on the grid for $245. He said he mounted a flywheel on it, but never fired it up.

Tony P.
    Tonys Screws LLC
    http://www.tonysscrews.com

Slimbo takes great care of his engines, plus he had back up ones he never touched.
    are you ready to roll?

IMaxx, just be aware that there are major limitations on the RG that even a good modder can't overcome. The RG's are excellent for their intended use--as a newbie beginner engine--but powering a big UMT, it'll feel underpowered I guarantee it.

For the price, you're better off going with a Novarossi N21BF for $160 from A-Main.
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." --Einstein

R/C Car Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by sbess
    IMaxx, just be aware that there are major limitations on the RG that even a good modder can't overcome. The RG's are excellent for their intended use--as a newbie beginner engine--but powering a big UMT, it'll feel underpowered I guarantee it.

For the price, you're better off going with a Novarossi N21BF for $160 from A-Main.
    Agreed, the 3 port will have enough "bark" to move the ST-R around. Awesome engine for the price. I actually loved the power mine made in my buggy and still has a little metal pinch left in it.

22benjamin22
    That's a good point on the Nova motor. I thought the crank work could overcome the major power flaws in the RG.

I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a motor that I will just club race with. It'd be nice to have 2 motors also, so that if I do something stupid, I could drop in a replacement.

I know a few guys are reporting the Novas they've purchased in the last 6-8 months have had far more pinch than before and are taking much longer to get to the real power. I wonder if this is true for the N21BF as well?

running out on the track to flip my truck over
    Hey Ben, I like your RG idea, then when the rg dies, take the OS carb and put it on a hyper 8port. I think the 8port with the OS carb would be a killer budget combo.
    P.S. My RG I ran on my SM worked awesome with the RB 086 pipe.
    Gidddy up.........

That HPI .28 is one BADAZZ engine. I have broken-in/tuned at least 5 of them, and every one was a jaw dropper.
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing

Quote Originally Posted by 22benjamin22
    That's a good point on the Nova motor. I thought the crank work could overcome the major power flaws in the RG.

I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a motor that I will just club race with. It'd be nice to have 2 motors also, so that if I do something stupid, I could drop in a replacement.

I know a few guys are reporting the Novas they've purchased in the last 6-8 months have had far more pinch than before and are taking much longer to get to the real power. I wonder if this is true for the N21BF as well?
    Yes the new 3 port takes about 2 - 2 1/2 gallons to break in from my experience. But makes good bottom end right away. Plus the engine should last a good 8-10 gallons easy.

Get down Mr. President! emaxxer2002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilmanak
    That HPI .28 is one BADAZZ engine. I have broken-in/tuned at least 5 of them, and every one was a jaw dropper.
    Is it really? My friend thought about picking one up for cheap when he gets a CRT, since he won't need, nor be able to afford an nice Nova or anything. Your talking about the new one in the Savage X?
    We Still Bleed Green!

The one that came in the last version of the Savage SS. The Savage X has the old .25, reworked inside. The old .25 was a real piggy, they did a lot of work on the guts for the X, should make it run up to par with other .25's.
    The .28 is that same one that comes in the Hellfire, I believe. It is strong, really reminds me of Nova 28's.
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing

Quote Originally Posted by ws7maxx
    Hey Ben, I like your RG idea, then when the rg dies, take the OS carb and put it on a hyper 8port. I think the 8port with the OS carb would be a killer budget combo.
    P.S. My RG I ran on my SM worked awesome with the RB 086 pipe.
    I run a RG in my SM now. It works great club racing. IMO, for our track (on the small side & indoors) I don't think I need any more power.

Mitten
    It's not about winning. It's about making fun of your friends that you leave in the dust.

My theory has alsways been, if it's cheap, it sux. Lol. So I pay out the booty for Italian engines. Doh. Guy up here ran an RG all year also, in a buggy and Revo. It flipped his Revo over backwards and he managed to holeshot a race or two with his buggy, over WS72's, P5's, and my C5C. This perfectly illustrates what we are talking about!
    Mugen Seiki
    Tony's Screws
    M2C Racing

hey ben if your interested in the novarossi p5 i have its yours for 235 shipped.

slimbo5@optonline.net

watched bess run his st-r tonight. thing is dialed! tom weighed it compared to crt, think he said ~11.5 oz lighter than the crt. truck is what you can expect from kyosho. quality. he took tq and 1st in the amain tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by saychz316
    watched bess run his st-r tonight. thing is dialed! tom weighed it compared to crt, think he said ~11.5 oz lighter than the crt. truck is what you can expect from kyosho. quality. he took tq and 1st in the amain tonight.
    SO you got to see it run Kev? At the race I was at they raffled off a ST-R, wish I won so I could start building!!! I should be getting mine Tuesday or Wed. night. Can't wait.
    Did Bess's ST-R look to have as much steering as Tom's CRT Kev?

Will have full race weekend report about my Kyosho and OPS in a bit....

Ben, Im gonna agree with Bess. Thats a smokin motor for the price.
    UE Bigblock truck.....Dace Small block truck
    "Some people are like Slinkies , Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

rich, the truck looked and performed awesome.
    should have seen the looks he was getting in the pits. peeps seemed to be gawking from all directions. its expected. new rig. everyone wanted to see. he got the same looks as the crt did when it hit the scene last year for the factory jammin drivers.

you will be very pleased when yours arrives.

its a pinch narrower, and a pinch shorter that the crt. i like the wheels kyosho came up with for it. really easy to get the nuts on, compared to stock crt wheels.

what blows me away, is the weight difference.

rich, the truck looked and performed awesome.
    should have seen the looks he was getting in the pits. peeps seemed to be gawking from all directions. its expected. new rig. everyone wanted to see. he got the same looks as the crt did when it hit the scene last year for the factory jammin drivers.

you will be very pleased when yours arrives.

its a pinch narrower, and a pinch shorter that the crt. i like the wheels kyosho came up with for it. really easy to get the nuts on, compared to stock crt wheels.

what blows me away, is the weight difference.
    Thanks Kev, can't wait to get mine! If I have mine in my hands by Wed. I may "feal" a sick day coming on for Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
    Thanks Kev, can't wait to get mine! If I have mine in my hands by Wed. I may "feal" a sick day coming on for Thursday
    now now. must not let toy cars affect work! i have never done such a thing!

now now. must not let toy cars affect work! i have never done such a thing!
    I need a "personal day" After the weekend I just had, I really do Got a headache Friday night and still have it right now! In totaly agony T3' are doing squat right now. I get these once in a while. Will do my Kyosho and OPS report tomorrow. Talk to you boys later....

Have You Eaten a Veegan Lately? sukidr350's Avatar
    Rich,
    it was good to meet you this weekend, and it was a fun run for the money.
    Eric

Rich, the ST-R has more steering than my CRT, yes. The thing flat out hauls, it was easy to drive and consistent. Took the win at ARC by two laps in 15 minutes, first race out...not a bad testament to the truck.
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." --Einstein

R/C Car Magazine

So how did you guys do up at Peel-it?? I was there for a few hrs on Sat, but got the call for work so I had to make the trek back home again. To bad I missed you guys, the parts counter man was enforcing the "stay out of the pits" rule, So I was unable to wander about. Nice track but they were slow to run the qualifiers. I heard that one race didnt get ran until early morning.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Not enough time for all my toys
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopdog
    So how did you guys do up at Peel-it?? I was there for a few hrs on Sat, but got the call for work so I had to make the trek back home again. To bad I missed you guys, the parts counter man was enforcing the "stay out of the pits" rule, So I was unable to wander about. Nice track but they were slow to run the qualifiers. I heard that one race didnt get ran until early morning.
    When did they enforce that rule? At least 2/3rds of the pit were gf's and wives, standing/sitting around, not pitting, nor marshalling and taking up pit spaces. Oh well, I got 3rd C main with my predator, and 1oth A mian 4 mod, and 4th b main stock truck, everyonje else can report their own places, as I don't want to mess up and give them too much or not enough credit. The racing til 1 am saturday night was sweet, and the lack of snack foods available licked, but it was a fun race, and a learning experience( Best batteries in stock truck ), and double check nuts even after threadlocking into lock nut,a nd cranking down, and not running after that
    Rod

Should have told the guy at the counter that you wanted to come say hi, sure he would have let you by...did you get see the predator run?

MT~Qualed 9th, finished 6th
    UMT~Qualed 16th, finished 14th
    4Mod~Qualed 5th, finished 6th

~James
    It's never good...it just has to be good enough

...not a bad testament to the truck.
    or your driving skills either! nobody could have caught ya saturay night. truck was flat moving. tom wasnt far behind ya, thats for sure!

Rich, the ST-R has more steering than my CRT, yes. The thing flat out hauls, it was easy to drive and consistent. Took the win at ARC by two laps in 15 minutes, first race out...not a bad testament to the truck.
    Just what I wanted to hear Awesome, can't wait for mine! Thanks bud. I'll have to get you to post your setup or email it to me, really sounds like your setup is close to being perfect

Quote Originally Posted by sukidr350
    Rich,
    it was good to meet you this weekend, and it was a fun run for the money.
    Eric
    Nice meeting you too bud. Great group of guys James showed up with! Was fun hanging with you again James.

RC BOCA
    great c/s from OPS also...

Not enough time for all my toys
    YEah, Rich, It was great to meet and chat with you, thanks for use of your heat gun again, it really helped, stupid 12 ga wire>
    LAter bud,
    ROd

Rich, Im waiting for the report
    The Largest State in the USA---
    Alaska = 650,000+ Sq. Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Booyah
    Rich, Im waiting for the report
    +1
    Official member of the "IDGRA how many posts you have!" club.

Your best teacher is experience. Your best source of information is word of mouth – that is others with hands on experience. -MonsterMaxx

so you still didnt get your truck yet rich? but it was nice to meet you last week end.

Matt.

sorry boys, still have a major head ache and can't stare at the monitor very long. Promise to give you my full report tomorrow

Tom...

Thread Information