Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking into a Harley Fat Boy

Nice bike

Heres the other side with the Vance & Hines pipes. Haven't been able to take good pics yet, its still raining here in Nor-Cal.

You'll get plenty of sleep when your dead.

Nice---and the only way to roll, PAID for
    The Largest State in the USA---
    Alaska = 650,000+ Sq. Miles

Really nice looking. Makes me want one.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
    I'm a HD owner

It's been a love-hate relationship.
    The engineering, design and styling are fantastic.
    Dealer support & ability, factory warranty, depriciation, quality control and fit and finish are some of the worst I've ever experienced.
    About like that cheep chinese RC copycat company.

The stealers around here will rape you just to say they can and their mechanics will never touch my bike again. Every time I've let them touch it they screw it up such that I have to take it back several times and it's always returned filthy with new scratches.

The fat boy isn't the 'new non-traditional HD' so it may not suffer as much as the vrod does, but still, the days of long waiting lists for bikes are gone, yet stealers are still trying to get $2-5k over msrp for machines. Other stealers can't sell them and are dumping them. Stories of '03 vrods in the crate being sold for $10k abound.

Stealers are NOT your friend, they are there only to seperate you from your wallet (yes, I'm sure there are good ones, but I've not seen one personally.)

If I were you, I'd spend some more time researching this purchase before I put ink on a check.

I luv my vrod and will ride it till the landfill, but HD has not done an even acceptable job of backing up this machine and I will not give them a dime I don't have to.

Get yourself the very best price you can and then do ALL the work from there out yourself. You'll need a lift, the craftsman one works great and is $99. You'll need some special tools, just go ahead and buy them when you need them.
    In the long run you'll be way further ahead than if you let the stealer mess it up (and have to take it back a bunch of times.)
    There are numerous places avail to the public where accessories are 20%-25% off.

Robin, yeah I know your a HD owner. It was actually your bike that got me thinking about getting one. I've always wanted a Harley when I was a kid but never got serious about it. Suddenly I find myself older and making good money. Then I saw your V-Rod. I started looking into it, the more I looking the more I realized the Fat Boy was a better fit for me. In one of your post you wrote that the V-Rod would not be a good bike for an unexperienced rider, which I am. Also taking a closer look at the V-Rod I realized it was not well suited for a shorter rider.

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    WOW, it's beautiful!!!

The vrod is actually well suited for shorter riders, what it's not is a beginner's motorcycle, IMHO.

It's CG is very low and so is the seat which is deceptive. When you sit on it on the showroom floor it feels light and well balanced.
    It's still a 600lb motorcycle and that my friend is a lot of mass. It's stupid fast right out of the box and doesn't stop or steer all that great - 600lb motorcycles don't.

Beginners have neither the reflexes nor the restraint to ride one. Not that there aren't exceptions, but I think they are few and far between.
    The vrod is also very expensive to fix.

Part of learning to ride a motorcycle is learning what to do when they get out of shape - and they will. While learning, something won't be done right and down you go.
    IMHO part of learning to ride a motorcycle is learning how to fall down and even better, how to not fall down.
    Learning these skills on a fast, heavy, expensive motorcycle that doesn't stop or steer great is a fool's errend.

Truthfully, other than the stupid fast part a Fat Boy isn't any better. I know you won't do this, but...
    You should find yourself a used 600cc metric cruiser for a grand or two, get full leathers and put 20,000 miles on them. Take courses and everything. Save the Fat Boy for a treat.

I give this advise to all new riders. One of them actually listened, he left the BMW he so wanted in the garage and rode a little yellow Honda. Over the course of 3 years I worked with him he dropped that little yellow thing several times, though never had a severe crash and he put a lot of miles on it, got experience and graduated to the Beemer.
    Smart feller.

That sure is one purdy motorcycle. I'd be very sad if you wreck it or yourself.
    Please be careful out there. You are not being paranoid, EVERYONE is out to get you.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Just last weekend I saw what I'm pretty sure is the same bike down in the middle of the street.

We were out for a ride Saturday and as we rounded a corner I could see a bike down in the street.
    I immediatly diverted around the traffic, into the grass and down to where the bike was down to lend a hand.

This guy pulled a real bonehead move.
    1st he's on a test ride about a mile from the stealer on a new bike.
    Then he doesn't notice the ninnyvan stopping in front of him, when he does he slams on both brakes.
    He locked the front up, it swept out from under him and he went face first into the pavement. No helmet, no gloves, no leather, nothing but road rash.

My friend called 911. Ambulance was first to show in like 5 minutes. The FD first responders showed 20 minutes later and when we left the cops still hadn't arrived.

Lucky fooker had on those sunglasses/goggle things and it saved his face. He was cut to the bone above and below the eye from the goggles, but no road rash on his face - nice clean cuts - probably a dozen stitches. The goggles were rashed hard, if that had been his face...[shudder].
    His hands, arms, knee and shoulders didn't fare quite so well, but they will heal - just skin.

Bike wasn't too torn up either. Engine covers, peg, turn signals and a tiny scuff on the tank.

Guy was real lucky. He's supposedly an experienced rider, but on a different bike, not paying attention... lucky he had those goggles on. It's a bad spot too, he's real lucky he didn't get run over after falling down.

[QUOTE=MonsterMaxx] He's supposedly an experienced rider, but on a different bike, not paying attention...

The "not paying attention" is the cause of 99% of all accidents. You can have fun on any bike if you don't ride like a fool, keep the speeding on the track, and pay attention to what is going on around you.

Hey Robin and everyone else. Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing, it's been a while. I haven't ran my SuperMaxx in so long, I got into 18th scale off-road for a while and now am playing with micro helis. But mostly I ride when I have time.

I had the bike now for over a year and am having tons of fun with it. Robin I thank you for your concerns with my safety and all so I took things easy at first and took the MSF riding course. I've gotten comfortable riding most everywhere here but I still keep my eyes on those cagers. California usually has good weather, so I've been riding when ever it is not raining or cold, not much of either here. Our traffic here is also often congested but tolerable. I've gone cruising in downtown San Francisco up and down those crazy hills while splitting traffic so when I'm in the suburbs and highways riding gets easier but I remain vigilant constantly.

I've been doing my own wrenching, I've just finished changing my handlebars and doing internal wiring. Here is a current pic of me and the FatBoy. I'm the ugly one. Peace

Who's the hot mamma ?
    Team Losi-Fusion/Novarossi-RC Compound-Nitrotane-Tony Screws-AVID-ChromePickle-Vinyl Graphics

Sweet ride Phantom. Congrats.

Oh ya, nice bike Phantom
    Team Losi-Fusion/Novarossi-RC Compound-Nitrotane-Tony Screws-AVID-ChromePickle-Vinyl Graphics

Thread Information