Thread: Salvage Title?

Salvage Title?

I've been looking around, and I've seen some bikes and cars with salvage titles that could be restored, but what sort of problems or benefits do salvage titles present(insurance, registration)?

Bike specific question, any opinions on the Yamaha YZF series, is it way too much for a responsible newcomer to ride? How much will riding equipment run somebody, IE: Helmet, good riding jacket? Are motorcyles more complicated to restore than they look IE: Plastics, Rims, Turn signals, Windscreens, and Starters(most of the ones i've seen don't have a key).

And the loaded question, my family has never had any riders in its herritage, and see them as deathtraps, what kind of counter argument do lifelong riders have to counter such statements?

I build streetbikes for street racing and road racing.Salvaged bikes are very dangerous.The frames are tweaked or bent which means weakened.The have unpredictable handling charqacteristics.May turn great but at the edge are jittery.may vibrate violently at speed.I have seen alot of salvage titled bikes and I wouldn't even set on one...can you imagine riding something that can run 10 second quarter miles with a twisted frame?
    SouthernFriedRacing
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tony's Screws-------->all your fastener needs
    Majestic Bodies------>awesome painted bodies
    Axiom Motors------>Got Motor? stock,19t,mod electrics
    E.B.Mods-------->simply the finest modded nitro engines on the planet

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    only thing I'd touch in that catagory is a 'theft recovery' as long as it wasn't crashed

I almost bought my V-Rod that way.

Stolen, stripped and in a bucket. Missed it by one day.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Razor, I agree with SFM and MM! I would not buy a wrecked bike. Sure, it is a lot cheaper, but you are going to pay in the long run anyhow. Parts are dang expensive. If you do the work yourself, you can offset some of that cost. Don't even THINK about having a bike shop do the repairs. You would probably come out cheaper buying a new bike than doing that.

Then, there is always the safety factor. Just like SFM said, the frame could be bent and you not know it. It would drastically reduce the handling capabilities. Bikes are very precise machines. Everything has to be in good order for it to perform properly and safely. Think about it before you commit to one.

Regarding your specific questions...

Is the YZF too much for a newcomer? That is hard to say. There are MANY things you have to consider. Have you ever ridden a street bike? How old are you? What is your riding style? Exactly what do you mean by "responsible newcomer"?

Although your age does not have much to do with it, your maturity does. What I mean is that if you treat bikes with respect, they will treat you well. If you disregard their power and/or the laws, you may end up on the pavement or worse. I am 33 (as of today...Happy B'day to me!) and consider myself responsible. I ride a ZX6 Ninja. I love it. I actually want something bigger now. When I first got it, I was scared that it was too much power for me. Perhaps being a little scared was a good thing. To this day, I still get scared sometimes. It keeps me in check and keeps me from doing stupid stuff.

If you have never ridden a street bike, I would say that possibly these could be a little much for you. But, again, that is hard to answer.

As for a helmet, jacket, gloves and boots...that depends on what you get. I would definitely say to get a good quality leather jacket. These range from about 250-400 for a name brand. I personally wear Joe Rocket. That is just my preference. You can find onlie dealers that are MUCH cheaper than local stores. www.tonker.com is one. A good helmet ranges dramatically from about 150 all the way up to 700. How deep are your pockets and what do you want? =) Gloves can be found for 25-50 and Boots are usually from 100-350. Some people would say boots and gloves are not necessary. I think they are, even though I don't own any boots. I do wear good hiking boots, but that is NOT the same thing as a good pair of riding boots. Better than nothing though.

For your family...man that is another hard one. Bikes are only as safe as their riders. Period. Ride like an idiot, and you are asking for trouble. Ride responsibly, live to ride again. The main danger in my world is OTHER drivers. They simply don't see bikes sometimes. One good thing you could do would be to take the riders courses offered around your area. This teaches bike safety and also helps to bring your insurance costs down.

I know this all sounds kinda negative, but I want you to be safe. Like I said, bikes are safe as long as you ride safe and smart.

Whatever you decide on, be safe, be smart and ride on!

WHEW..that was a long reply!

Robin Oury, UE's owner MonsterMaxx's Avatar
    I think I'm going to chime in here on this one, I'd missed the 'new rider' part.

New rider, never ridden, stay off the street is my opinion.

I've been riding since one of those lawnmower pullstart minibikes was too big for me.

At age 33 I got a street cruiser (sold my dirt bike after a crushed tibial plateau.)

The Intruder was too fast for me and my maturity level. Fortunately the reflexes that nearly three decades of offroad riding had instilled saved my butt.

The V-Rod is way too fast for me and my maturity level.
    I'm constantly wanting to slap myself around for riding too fast.

For helmets, nothing like an Arai, ask anyone. Protection - tops, but where it really shines is comfort. You'll like wearing it. $400

Leather, gloves, boots, etc: get something decent, you'll probably spend 500 -> a grand on this stuff.

To be honest, if you have wife, kids and have never ridden....keep it that way, stay off the street in anything that doesn't have a cage.
    Everyone IS out to get you. NO ONE ever sees you. AND no matter how paranoid you ride there are times where you leave yourself open to idiots. I ride very paranoid, figure every cage is going to do the stupidest thing at the worst time and leave myself an out...still I can see many, many times were there's just no way to eliminate every possibility.

I ride with the brights on, modulators, hyper-paranoid....still, someday someone may get me - they have tried many times and my paranoia & reflexes have saved me. 25kmi and lucky so far.

If you really want to ride, get yourself a dirtbike and spend 10 years riding that first. Everything else is either your own size or stationary. Learn how to fall down. Frankly, that's a part of learning how to ride a bike.
    Take the MSF course. Twice.
    "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." - Nietzsche

Well, thanks for the thoughtful and insightful replies.

MM- I'm afraid I can't really start w/ a Dirt Bike because there's no place and I'm interested in the inexpensive transportation aspect of riding.

I live in suburbia, and I would intend to just do some small back road, and occasional highway travel. But as a driver, I do see the biggest issue is other people, there a lot of idiots out there, and I can see how perilous the other people make riding. I am a very young person, and I'm sure in typical adult fashion, a red flag flies up. But when I said I was a "responsible" person, I meant it. I've always been mature for my age, and I'm sure some people's eyes will roll on that one... but I'm dead serious about that. But honestly my family is extremely uncomfortable, my family even has a bad history w/ motorcycles.

Apparently my grandfather was in the same class with Davidson, and was given a Harley. My great grandfather made my grandfather give the motorcycle back, he was never allowed to ride it. And my grandfather became a surgeon, so he became aware of everyone's mistakes and the brutal results, passing on to my parents extreme safety consciousness. So the bottom line being, even If I wanted to I don't think my family would allow me too.

I've been riding dirtbikes and 4wheelers since I was 9 and I've been on a street bike only once.... my buddies gsxr600. Was a blast, but it was everyone else I was scared of. To many people act like they don't even see you. If I lived way out in the country I'd probably buy one. I really don't think you should start with the street bike if you've never rode before unless you can maybe take a class and have some buddies help you out.

Well, i know it doesn't count for much but I've riden bicycles most of my life, I used to ride one to school every day. But taking classes is no sweat, I can get down to Philly for MSF cources.

Bravo!

Razor, just the fact that you are taking this seriously shows that you are mature for your age. Do some research on the bikes that you like and see what you feel is a good starting point for you. I don't think anyone is trying to talk you out of it. I definitely was not. However, we do want you to know of the dangers involved. You obviously already do, having a surgeon for a grandfather (how cool is that?)!

It also sounds to me like you have never ridden a motorcycle at all. Please excuse me if I am wrong. If that is the case, I would say that an R6 (again, I am making assumptions) is too much bike for a beginner. Although, that is currently MY favorite too! Man, I want one so bad. This bike is basically a street legal race bike. It is so light and agile that it is scary fast. =)

Anyhow, do some research and see what YOU think is the best for you. Talk it over with your folks and get them on your side. You will never be happy if you go against their wishes and get one anyhow. If you want one bad enough, you will find a way to convince them that you are mature and responsible enough.

Heck, my 15 year old son (who has only ridden 4 wheelers) said he wanted to learn to learn to ride mine. I thought he would not be able to because he has never used a clutch. He proved me wrong because he was determined! Within an hour of putting up and down the street, he was cruising along at 45, changing gears and turning around in the street with his feet on the pegs. That in itself is difficult. I was surprised, but now he has shown me he is determined. I am going to help him get one this spring. Granted, he only wants a 250, but that is big enough for him.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide!

Well when you talk street bikes and read what i have stay away from the doner cycle you have a wife and kid's i talk from exp. I had a street bike
    was hit by drunk driver right leg was cut OFF just below the knee. Was very lucky that at the hospital the doctor on duty was vietnam doc. and seen many causilties from that. He was able to reattach my right leg i was one of the lucky ones its to late in life to play like that your kid's need you more then you need that bike just my .05
    Later,
    Nickleman
    Team Dace Team Crazynut

Ann Mowery 08/31/31 - 02/19/04
    Mike Jones 10/10/64 - 03/18/04
    John Kirkwood 11/18/29 - 4/30/04
    Ryan (Munchie) Taylor 10/23/85 - 07/12/04
    God Bless You All
    Support the American Cancer Society

OMG, thats aweful, I guess you were lucky to keep your leg and your life! But I have no kids, way too young(well some people my age do, but its not exactly smiled upon).
    "He that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools" -Confucius

Well let's live long enough to have them and be able to run walk and play with them.
    Later,
    Nickleman
    Team Dace Team Crazynut

Ann Mowery 08/31/31 - 02/19/04
    Mike Jones 10/10/64 - 03/18/04
    John Kirkwood 11/18/29 - 4/30/04
    Ryan (Munchie) Taylor 10/23/85 - 07/12/04
    God Bless You All
    Support the American Cancer Society

ill chime in and say always wear a helmet!

i used to have a GSXR750 a 2002, i went off the road somehow (cant remember anything) doin about 55mph............the bike was totalled ($7k worth) and i walked away with a dirt stain on my jacket

take it slow, its only as fast as you make it.........and its sooooo easy to go fast

good luck
    -Crash

Originally posted by imaxx21
    ill chime in and say always wear a helmet!

i used to have a GSXR750 a 2002, i went off the road somehow (cant remember anything) doin about 55mph............the bike was totalled ($7k worth) and i walked away with a dirt stain on my jacket

take it slow, its only as fast as you make it.........and its sooooo easy to go fast

good luck
    As I recall, you were trying to walk away with your broken ankle...I know you didnt forget that. Glad thats the only thing that happened to ya

I have a 94' CBR900RR that has over $2500 into it. Its uncontrollable! I had it dynoed about 15 times to get every little bit of power I could out of it. Drag raced it several times down Englishtown Raceway Park..... And why did I spend all this time and money on it? To go FAST!

You CAN NOT drive these bikes slow. Believe me, you'll try, might even scare yourself for a litttle while and slow down. But the rush is always there. I ran my bike down Rt 18 towards the shore several times, slapping the rev limiter in 6th gear! That's a TRUE 168mph! People will talk all the time that they did 175-180mph, but most of these bikes can't do it. The speedos are extremely off at those speeds (most are off a good 3-5mph at 60). My speedo was over the 180 marker when I hit the rev limiter in 6th gear. I just know that it was 168 from my dyno runs. But the point I'm trying to make is that, if the bike can go fast, you WILL go fast.

I had two really close calls with my bike. One at 140mph w/ a friend on the back and the other I went around a bend too fast, took it wide, and missed an on-coming car head on by mere inches. But this didn't stop me from riding and speeding.

I ended up finally parking my bike years ago after a run with 12 buddies down the shore. On the way there, two guys went down. The first was a kid on a Ninja 600R in 7/11 parking lot. He broke the shifter. He got it into 2nd gear and left for home. The other guy took a jug-handle too fast and went wide. Any rider will tell ya whats in the outside of curbed turns ..... sand & dirt. Swoosh, the bike went down and he flew off, over a guard rail into a field. He was ok and picked up the bike to continue riding. As the day went on, the pack of "killer bees" ripping down the street got crazier. We went to Manasquan, NJ where we were goofing off riding wheelies, when a cop tried to pull us over. I would've stopped in a heartbeat, but after 3 of the guys nailed it and took off, we knew this cop was going to be pissed. So we all took off. We were gone in seconds, but what started as a quick getaway, turned into a cannonball run home. We made it back home in about 7 minutes. The ride in a car, doing the speed limit, stopping for traffic and lights, takes about 30-35 minutes. We were flying down the highway, never letting off the gas, passing cars in the shoulder, blowing red lights (yeah this sounds crazy and STUPID), but your adrenaline takes over and you lose control to it and the competition. I got home, got off my bike. I was shaking and sweating all over. I havn't ridden it since. It just sits in my garage (tank rusted inside).

I had always been a really smart kid. Straight A's in school. 4.0 GPA in College and technical school. Never got into trouble w/ the law or arrested. Hardly ever drink, even now at 33, and never touched drugs EVER. I've always had a strong conscious about doing things. But for whatever reason, the rush for speed, was too much for even my level head. To this day I still drive fast in my crappy car. As I come to work in the morning at 5am, I'm always doing 80-85mph on the highway where the speed limit is only 55 or 65mph. I'd love to my bike running again and ride it. Or get a new one. But I know better. I'm married, own a home and have 3 beautiful kids. I just don't think I'll ride again. I bought an ATV last summer and my son a mini ATV to ride too. I'm selling them both. I thought they'd be fun (which they are), but they just plain old scare me. Parting out my CBR too.

Do yourself (and perhaps your family) a favor and stay away from bikes. They are cool. They are fast. They are fun! If you took off my helmet while I was riding by CBR, you'd only see a smile from ear to ear. But at the time I thought of no one but myself. Death or permanent injury was no where near a thought in my mind. You won't realize this until your older and more mature. But for many kids, it ends up too late, as they never see their adulthood.

Just my opinion and experience. No offense to anyone.
    Sorry for the long-winded post.

Tony P.
    Tonys Screws LLC
    http://www.tonysscrews.com

Veteran

Wink salvage bikes

Man ,listening to you guys nobody would ever ride.LOL.The bike go's as fast as you want it to.How ever much you want to twist the throttle.Yes you do have to have eyes behind your head ,but take the rider course & follow the steps & you will be fine.Not to say accidents don't happen but that is just what they are ,accidents.Unfortunately you have to be a mind reader for all the cages around .Although all I see are cars & harleys in my rear view when i'm on the BUSA Just stay cool & don't ride above your limits & you'll be fine.When you start to feel to calm & you don't feel that little knot in your gut when your ready to ride BE CAREFUL!!!

VBS V4.1 #5 EB MODS .21 mkg3k91's Avatar
    Razor

Just reading this thread should show you you have some straight up
    guys posting here. With out a doubt I have read some of your other
    posts and you sound like you have your act together. So here are some
    thoughts for you. None of these guys have any reason to bs you. None
    of them have bs you so far, they tell you there is no feeling Like riding and they are right but in the same sentence they tell you that it just is not worth it and sorry to say they are also right. You are young with a lot of
    time ahead of you (I know I sound like a parent I am) But like mm said he
    has more time on a bike than you are old and that dirt bike with no cages around before he was on a street bike. Sorry here come the crappy story. One of my best freinds took my brothers bike from my garage for a quick spin. Was he going to fast.....yep just like any body else has done from time to time and just like you would if you get this bike if you tell yourself
    different your kidding yourself. Was he capable of handling the bike you bet. Wich some so-called freind or buddy of yours will just brush off that ofcourse you and him would be more capable than my buddy just because you want the bike so bad. Bottom line no bs I don't care who was on that
    bike, the amount of time that person spent on a bike the classes that person took where that person lived, his freinds, his family, his girlfreind would have lost a great guy that day just as I did. No matter how great it is which it is to ride it is not worth it. Remember there is no such thing as a fender bender on bikes they are body benders.

Be safe
    Have fun..... it's later than you think

VBS V4.1 #5 EB MODS .21 mkg3k91's Avatar
    This is going to be a first for me. I have never posted anything against any one before and do not mean to offend butt.............

razor

Please do not think that a "very plain and ordinary in every way" guy can
    "I have been a real 180 down the interstate.I have been ask to leave a drag strip after running 9.97 at 136 M.P.H. in jeans and a t-shirt"and be taken serious when he says "As long as you treat the bike with respect you'll be fine." Remeber my remark "None of these guys have any reason to bs you. None of them have bs you so far," Well that just ended.
    You are are smart guy use your own head there is a reason most people
    would have a problem with someone saying "The bike can go 100 but don't drive it like that.Drive it like a car and use your brain" when he hasn't

Sorry if I offend but a young smart man will hopefully grow up and make
    really cool rc products or something like that because of it.
    Last edited by mkg3k91; 11-06-2003 at 10:49 PM.
    Have fun..... it's later than you think

I think the other side needs to be shown as well.I bought my first bike a 1996 Smokin Joes 600 CBRF3 in 1996.I had never owned any type of motorcycle before.Nothing ever....I grew up street racing mustangs and later corvettes.I wrecked everything I ever owned.I never cared about anyhting but being the fastest on the street.Nitrous....superchargers....both! All good.Well I got married..had a baby and had to sell my last toy...a 1995 corvette convertible with a stroked 383 from lingenfelter.I said I gotta have something fast..real fast to take it's place.Bamm CBR. So off I go never having even ridden even a dirt bike before.I used my brain.I started slow.I remembered that the thing had a throttle and brakes and it would not hurt me if I didn't act stupid.I rode and met people and started racing the motorcycle.Within a year I began street racing again for money.My best friend and I earned enough of a reputation that people began bringing us their bikes for mods.My buddie raced pro motorcross and supercross until he broke his back.We added cams,exhausts,nitrous,turbos, anything we could find.We even worked on road racer bikes.All the while we rode almost everyday.I put 30,000 miles on that Smokin Joe and on a couple of rat bikes we built.I raced pretty much daily.To this day I don't have a single crash to my credit.I have never wrecked.I have been a real 180 down the interstate.I have been ask to leave a drag strip after running 9.97 at 136 M.P.H. in jeans and a t-shirt.
    Now I am not saying I am all that good or talented.I am very plain and ordinary in every way.I don't have any special skills ,but I do know enough to ride 9 second bikes in the proper way.
    As long as you treat the bike with respect you'll be fine.Sure people will never see you and look out for you.That is a given you have to know that and look out for them.Let's end with this: Most cars will go 100 m.p.h but people aren't driving them that way.The bike can go 100 but don't drive it like that.Drive it like a car and use your brain.
    SouthernFriedRacing
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tony's Screws-------->all your fastener needs
    Majestic Bodies------>awesome painted bodies
    Axiom Motors------>Got Motor? stock,19t,mod electrics
    E.B.Mods-------->simply the finest modded nitro engines on the planet

Live to ride ! Bikes are safe people are not ! I have been riding for 30+ years, Had a bike before a car,Bike liscence before drivers liscence. Rode a sportster old school chopper to high school...dirt before that.. at 16 i was hit by little old lady who didnt see me even after i hit her drivers side door at 45mph, cops got her info from the pharmacy she just left and went to her house, she was still in the car trying to figure out why her door wouldnt open. end of chopper,broke both wrists,nose,internals.used the insurance money to buy another bike !!learned to drive defensively, assume everyone is going to cut you off,no one see's you, you are invisable.. been good for many years and i ride alot ,2 years ago i bought a new ultra ground pounder w/ a 113ss. i was sitting at a redlight waiting for it to change, in my rear veiw i see a car coming up behind me and relize its not going to stop.white head looking through the wheel !!!
    In front of me are cars going by at 50mph. at the last second i jump strait up as hard as i could.and land on the hood as it takes the bike out from under me and shoots the bike into traffic. the bike was hit twice. not a pretty sight. old lady is yelling at me to get off her hood. I was ok, not a scratch !!! I was pissed, one of 20 limited edition bikes at 35k$, again i used the insurance money to buy an Iron horse outlaw 2002 w/ss 107 with 110hp, nice scoot. will try to post pictures soon, just put it away for winter.. I have had some near misses that would have been my fault but experiance and skill saved me evertime,always being stupid.going way to fast. wheelieing too far.public roads,you know...Its hard to resist the power and the feeling of acceleration. My brother totaled 2 bikes on me. so he gets no more test flights. And I am very careful these days, my lucks running out, But i just dont believe I was ment to Die on a bike..So Keep The Shinny Side Up. Have no Fear!!! Ride invisable man Ride !! Take a safety class!! highbeam on always...never drink and ride makes you way too confident...

Veteran
    I'll pretty much echo what everyone has said.

Take it easy, take the safety course, wear the gear and watch for others because they aren't watching for you.

The gear makes a difference. I was traveling 30mph in a 40mph zone on a divided four lane road (two lanes each direction). A car ran a red light at 40mph from a cross road across my path.

The bike was a complete loss. Front forks where sheared off, frame pushed back into the engine, cracking the engine cases. The frame completely bent and cracked in several places.

I had full gear, kevlar, helmet, gloves, boots. I crushed the tank, bent the handle bars with my legs and cleared the roof of the car landing 30-40 feet away from the impact. The ignition key was ejected a similar distance.

I walked out of the emergency room that night, with no broken bones or road rash.

I can not stress enough to wear your gear!

It's not so much your skill level as the people around you that you need to worry about.

-

VBS #11 Nitro Wide-Trac xtmaxxer's Avatar

The Baddest there is.....

I have been riding since I was 7, I am 41. I have raced , moto, enduro, ice, GP, superbike, trials, hare scrambles, and more.

I love bikes. I raced Suzuki's. all of them.GSXR's before they were end user bikes.

I built the Fastest, Baddest, Scariest, Widowmaker ever.... A BossHoss...ZZ3 350cid V8 Vette powered bike. 10inch Chevy Clutch no trans , straight thru .

I built mine in '91 when they called BossHoggs..before the lawsuit from the TV show.

I have beaten anything and everything, 7 friends died on these bikes. I was lucky. Luck period. I still have it, have not ridden it since June. I got the eye-opener when I toasted a Super Stock Dodge w/Hemi BB. A little Old Lady almost took me out.

Invincibility syndrome has longer incubation times in different people. Salvage titles need surety bonds....no problem.
    XTMAXXER.....Goodbye XTM Chassis......
    VBSuperMaxx has landed at Ohare.

Angry GEEZ! This is SO dang ironic!

It has been a while since I got an email stating that this thread had been posted to. I got this one a few moments ago.

What I am about to tell you is absolutely the honest-to-God, hand-on-the-Bible, Gospel truth.

We have a 19 year old boy that is staying with us for a while untill he gets enough cash to get an apartment. It is a friend of my daughter's.

He called me around 9AM THIS very morning and asked if he could ride my 98 ZX6 Ninja approximately 10 miles down the road to help his uncle do a job. He lays carpet.

I said, "Sure, but be VERY careful." He said that he would be. I told him it was cold out and for him to wear my NEW Joe Rocket jacket, gloves and helmet.

About 10:15, my wife called me. She said, "I am about to ruin your day. Randy has wrecked your bike. A dog ran out in front of him, he swerved, hit some grass and flipped it. I am on my way to get him and take him to the doctor."

It cracked the fairing, a mirror and scratched my pipes. My NEW jacket is messed up. My insurance WILL NOT cover any of it because he is not on our plan.

How do you like them apples!?

I cannot get a dang break in life to save me.

I JUST (2 weeks ago) got it out of the shop. I had 2 new tires put on and a wiring harness replaced where someone had attempted to steal it. Insurance did not pay for that either, because it was going to cost $350 to fix and my deductible is $250. I did not want my rates to go up because of a lousy $100 difference.

Anyone want to buy a wrecked bike?

Angry I felt inspired to compose a rhyme...

'Twas three weeks before Christmas
    Something else had gone wrong.

Someone had borrowed his precious bike
    and wrecked it before too long.

He had seen something similar
    Only a few months before.

But now his wife's brand new car
    Had a smashed in rear door.

Seems as though they can have nothing
    That stays all shiny and new.

Something always happens to them
    Oh, Lord, what are they to do?

They are all disheartened, broken and down
    Feeling confused, depressed and perplexed

They cannot help but wonder
    Whatever can go wrong next?

So you go and you have your fun
    Enjoy your Christmas all full of cheer

This year, I say, "Humbug"
    And YOU CAN ALL KISS MY REAR!

My apologies....I just have to vent somehow.

VBS #11 Nitro Wide-Trac xtmaxxer's Avatar

KARMA is just a percentage

80% of ALL motorcycle accidents happen on a borrowed bike.

If I let you ride my bike, it is like offering my wife. Only if you let me have yours on the same day.

I know the black cloud syndrome you are feeling, been there...It passes only with time. The boy wasn't hurt and you have made a friend for life by telling him to wear the helmet and jacket.

The bike's karma is telling you something.

I feel for you, I have had similar stinging losses, good grows from them, if you let it.
    XTMAXXER.....Goodbye XTM Chassis......
    VBSuperMaxx has landed at Ohare.

Thanks!

See...it has begun already. That put a smile on my face. Heartfelt thanks, xtmaxxer!

Oeryk,

I feel your pain buddy! My very first motorcycle was a used Kawasaki ex500 w/ the optional lower fairing. I bought it off a kid that never rode before. He got his license by taking the test on a rented scooter (I don't understand why they allow this??? ) Anyways, he bought the bike, got on it and never made it out of his driveway. He fell and got scared. He tried a few more times and eventually made it around the development. He was too scared to ride it and ended up selling it to me at a huge loss (not for me ). It had no miles on it. I was soooo excited. My friend Frank had a 500 Shadow, and his brother Eric had a FZR 600. We rode around for several weeks. I was in Heaven! Then one day, Frank comes up knocking on my door. He said he wanted to go out and take his girlfriend for a ride on the motorcycle. He didn't want to take her out on the Shadow since he knew she was hot for the sportbikes, not cruisers. In the back of my mind I was thinking "never lend out your stuff, especially your new bike". But I figured I'd be nice, and well after all, he let me learn to ride on his Shadow. He also wrecked his brother's first bike a 750 Magna. I had to take him and my friend Mike he had on the back to the hospital after that crash. They were a mess. Screamed at the top of their lungs when they used a comb to brush out the stones from their arms and legs . Surely Frank had learned his lesson I figured and he was a good rider on the Shadow. So I gave in and let him take my ex500. Well I started to get nervous when he didn't come back when he said he was. Then about 2 hours later, here comes the Caddy with Frank, Eric and tis other kid Adam. They were like "dude, I'm really sorry, but there was an accident". Frank's forearms were dripping blood. He said he was ok, but the bike didn't quite make it. It turns out he didn't go riding with his girl. Instead, Eric was on the FZR600, Frank was on my bike and Adam was on the Shadow. The three AZZ clowns wanted to go riding and knew I wouldn't lend Adam my bike. So they came up with this little sneaky plan. J-offs! I took a ride with them and couldn't believe the bike. Frank had apparently went around a bend, failing to see the stop ahead sign and slammed into the back of Eric's FZR600. The damage was more than the bike was worth. So I took the bike to a salvage guy and got a few hundred for it. Then I took Frank's shadow and sold that. He gave me the final difference in cash, of what I paid for the bike 3-4 weeks earlier less the money I got for the wrecked bike and his Shadow. I went out and bought a brand new CBR600F2 and never rode with them again. Later that winter, I ended up buying Eric's FZR600 for $2,000. I cleaned it up and sold it for $3,000 .....LOL

NEVER lend out your stuff ..... EVER!

Tony P.
    Tonys Screws LLC
    http://www.tonysscrews.com

Thanks, Tony!

Well, the damage is not as bad as I had imagined it would be. But, it is still pretty bad. The bike is still driveable.

The front cowl around the headlight is cracked where the mirror flexed it. The mirror is trashed. The fairing on the side is separated by the frame. It is cracked on both the upper and lower sections. The plastic frame around my gauges is cracked. My cobra pipes are a little scratched but not dented. On the other side of the bike, the fairing and mirror is scratched pretty good. and the pipe is scratched. My tank is dinged a lil where the bars hit it. Now, the right bar will touch the tank if turned to the lock. Strange, because the bar is NOT bent and the bike still points straight. Perhaps the lock got damaged inside? Dunno. Other than that small thing, it all appears to be cosmetic. That, however is NOT going to be cheap to replace. Not sure if the parts come prepainted or not. If not, it is going to be hard as heck to match the original Black/Red Mica (looks like blackberry juice)!

Turns out my new jacket is NOT damaged. It just got muddy and the zippers separated a little. No big deal. It should clean up. It is the new 2004 Alter Ego System from Joe Rocket. It is a rain/winter/summer jacket all rolled up into one system. Super cool.

The guy who wrecked it is literally sick because of it. He feels so bad. He could not even face me last night and left before I got home. He is not scared, just really feeling lousy.

I told him that crap happens and that I know he did not mean to wreck my bike. He would NEVER do anything to hurt us after all we have done to help him out.

Thread Information